October 9th, 2009

Obama surprised, humbled by Nobel Peace Prize

President Obama surprised, humbled by Nobel Peace Prize.
President Obama surprised, humbled by Nobel Peace Prize.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - President Barack Obama said Friday that he was humbled and honored by the decision of the Norwegian Nobel Committee to award him the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize.

"I am both surprised and deeply humbled," Obama said at the White House.

"I do not view it as a recognition of my own accomplishments. But rather as an affirmation of American leadership. ... I will accept this award as a call to action."

Obama said he did not feel he deserves "to be in the company" of past winners.

The committee said it decided to honor Obama for his "extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples."

Filed under: Nobel Peace Prize • President Obama
  1. Peter (CA)

Stop the whining right wingers. Obama did not ask for the award.
    Apparently, the committee saw something last summer when he toured Europe and the Middle East. Remember the crowds? Apparently the world saw that the days of cowboy diplomacy were over and he has proven they are over.

So get over yourselves, whiners.

October 9, 2009 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  2. peter

Of course he desrves this award. He has changed the tone of the dialogue between nations. He recognizes the role that the UN must play in making peace,. When the United States under President Eisenhower followed up the UN plan designed by Lester Pearson during the Suez crisis and acted boldly the crisi was instantly over. President Bush senior's masterful use of the UN in getting "moral authority" behind him for the GUulf War again show how potent an instrument for peace it is when the US is engaged, The Russians were truly frightened by the threat of those missles in Eastern Europe. Look at how frightened we were with missles in Cuba. Just for an instant "walk in the other country's shoes". Things look different.

October 9, 2009 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  3. gg

Congratulation! Mr President

October 9, 2009 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  4. sadnbra

Congratulations Mr. President!!!

October 9, 2009 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  5. Wheat

Would like to see him donate the $ to charity

October 9, 2009 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  6. ch

Congratulations Mr. President!

October 9, 2009 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  7. harry

He is a very decent men!

October 9, 2009 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  8. military Mom

You think Obama was surprised.....I fell off my chair. I wonder how much that honor cost the taxpayers? Maybe Acorn counted the votes. I have no respect for the Nobel Peace Prize anymore. They should remane it to the "I think You Might Do Something Someday Prize."

October 9, 2009 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  9. Fed Up

He doesn't view it as a recognition of his accomplishments. Good. I don't know what it represents. There are people that have worked their whole lives for this award, and done great things. They deserve it. He gets elected president and is handed the award. I have just lost all respect for the board. They might as well be the Emmy's. Whoever has the most money wins.

October 9, 2009 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  10. Brandon

CONGRATULATIONS PRESIDENT OBAMA. This is a good day for you, your family, and America. It is so sad that the birthers, teabaggers, and GOP are so full of hate, that they can not enjoy that this is a good day for America. They would rather help bring down your Administration, hence bring down America than see unemployment numbers go down, THE GOP jumps for joy when the market is in negative and foreclosures are increasing. I left the republican party in 2008. I have no intention on going back. Obama/Biden 2012.

October 9, 2009 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |