October 9th, 2009

RNC slams Obama award

(CNN) – Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele is slamming the Nobel Committee's decision to award Presdient Obama the Nobel Peace Prize:

“The real question Americans are asking is, ‘What has President Obama actually accomplished?’ It is unfortunate that the president’s star power has outshined tireless advocates who have made real achievements working towards peace and human rights. One thing is certain – President Obama won’t be receiving any awards from Americans for job creation, fiscal responsibility, or backing up rhetoric with concrete action.”

Filed under: President Obama
  1. bert

Well he did become the first Black President of the United States of America. I think that in it self is an awesome achievement.
    The President has only been in office for less than a year and he is moving and shaking. I personally am excited for the furture the President is leading us towards. God Bless America and President Obama.

October 9, 2009 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  2. Sheena1a

Isn't this wonderful, if he would deserve it, it would be great, but what has he done but talk and turn this country against each other? He makes friends with our enemies, the very ones that kill Americans, that is some accomplishment huh?
    And already his health care reform is affecting Seniors, I'm afraid to see what else is to come. I worked all my life and paid in to SS and Medicare and now am finally able to use it, and I just got my refills of prescriptions today, I have lung problems and the very inhaler I need for it to help me breath, is taken off the Government senior care program. I have little money now, and will have to pay myself and its very expensive, besides pay all my bills, home, electric, heat food, insurances, etc, I and many others are going to be hard pressed to meet all these bills, whle this government takes away from us, and gives to illegals and lazy people that dont want to work. It is a sad day to see what he is doing, and so many praise him blindly, wait till they see what he is really trying to do and its not good.
    I gave him the benefit of the doubt that he would hold good to his promises, but it seems they were all hollow, and he had other ideas.
    I only hope and pray that America's children dont have to contend with hardship. I hope Obama stops and thinks what he is doing to this country and rights the wrongs. Almost all the people in government that are pushing all these laws down our throats, are doing so without doing what they promised when they got elected, they were suppose to help the people, not hinder them.

October 9, 2009 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  3. musician

The question I`m asking is, "what has Micheal Steele actually accomplished???". I think we know the answer. Obstruct, distort, complain, accuse, lie. He has a lot of nerve. I nominate Michael Steele for the "Failure to Do Anything Helpful" Award. He a shoe-in. It`s strange to see the GOP completely unable to have any sense of national pride after our President wins a Nobel Peace Prize. Wow. Sour grapes I guess, or jealousy, or confusion that the rest of humanity seems to think this guy is really doing something special. They just don`t get it. They probably never will. We`ll move forward without them.

October 9, 2009 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  4. Chad

Like Chicago with the Olympics – why can't Republicans ever have anything nice to say? The president of OUR nation received the Nobel Peace Prize! Suck it up and for once put patriotism above partisanship.

October 9, 2009 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  5. eric

Clearly Obama is generating thousands of jobs just by the number of people finding work in criticizing him. The American President just won a Nobel Prize...ever wonder what sort of state the country would be in if power-starved Republicans would get out of the way for 5 minutes?

October 9, 2009 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  6. Treasure

Oh please....the GOP should just SHUT UP already. No matter what Obama does the GOP will find something negative to say about him. Well guess what...America is tired of the negativity. We want pease and we want something different....that's why we voted for CHANGE!!

October 9, 2009 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  7. Tom in CA

..., and what else would you expect the Grand Obstructionism Party say?

Oh that's right – "NO!"

October 9, 2009 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  8. Elleabelle

Bitter, much???

October 9, 2009 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  9. Peggy - TX

As I heard a commentator say on MSNBC "Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele is a souless political prostitute." In other words he has no strong convictions other then self interest and promotes what ever GOB mob boss Rush wants him to say.

October 9, 2009 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  10. Lisa in FL

I just love watching the right's head explode. Can't wait to hear Limpballs and Insanity spew their vial, un-American, Obama-bashing hate and jealousy later today. And over at ClusterFoxNews, there all about to spontaneously combust over this announcement. The real reason the President was awarded this honor: B-U-S-H. The gift that keeps on giving! Congratulations Mr. President.

October 9, 2009 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  11. John, New York, NY

What. A. Surprise. The people who stand in the way of Obama's agenda are the same people who criticize for a lack of progress.

October 9, 2009 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  12. Katie

Gee, there's a shocker.

October 9, 2009 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  13. Dumas

The Nobel Peace Prize..President Barak Obama has been interacting closely with Americans & The World for the past 2 yrs.. He has been President for 9 months – generating new ideas for empowerment through dialogue and community.
    Congratulations , Mr. President ! the world has noted your exemplary behavior, your valor, your credibility and your stalwart emotional intelligence as you lead the designated #1 nation!
    Your interactions and decisions have been grounded in -
    empathy – appreciating the differences in how people feel and act..
    ( check Paul Begala, Hillary, Donna Brasil, Charles Gibson, Roland Martin,Ed Henry,Soledad & Campbell).-
    examination of the relationships between thoughts, feelings & reactions in our world -
    managing feelings to catch negative messages, anger, sadness, & create balance -
    communications – you are a good listener & questioner & can distinguish between what's said & what's being DONE, you send "I" messages instead of endless Blame -
    you show remarkable insight, self acceptance, and personal responsibility , recognizing the consequences of your actions & decisions- you are following through thoughtfully on commitments-
    in trying to resolve conflicts ..YOU FIGHT FAIR..& try to implement the
    "WIN / WIN- MODEL.
    You are working so hard to get us to see & use our passions to create and engage in a better life for our local and world communities. Wake up America..the World sees this, so do our Youth & my grandchildren! May God Bless President Obama, his Family & All of US. ...Carmen McMahon Dumas.

October 9, 2009 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  14. Young independent

Congratulations President Obama!!!! You have done a wonderful job so far. This is just a pittiful political ploy to downplay your achievment. Again Congrats!!!!! Steele do something useful I don't see you doing anything for job creation you joke!!!!!!!! sorry your just a whiner and continuing to make the RNC look like a bunch of whiny babies..grow up!!!

October 9, 2009 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  15. Allen

Mic,
    Just keep quite for moment. However, your ex- leader Bush ruled this country for eight years without accomplished nothing. Then you guys didn't criticize him. At least in my own perspective, president Obama is doing a wonderful job in everything he does. It will take years for him to clean what Bush has messed for eight years. Please, give him a chance.

October 9, 2009 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  16. Jackson

nothing but negative..can't the american populace just put politics aside and be happy that the President is improving our relations with the rest of the world?

October 9, 2009 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  17. Chris

How do you spell bitter Mr. Steele?

October 9, 2009 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  18. AMG

Michael Steele and the RNC should be ashamed that they cannot even acknowledge and congratulate President Barack Obama on receiving the Nobel Peace Prize. It is the sad proof that the Republicans can't find anything to be positive about – not even efforts to bring peace to the World.

October 9, 2009 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  19. Kerri Jones

President Obama's efforts may be unrecognizeable to his opponents because they choose to be blinded by ignorance and hate, but I see a man who has done more in his nine-months of service than I expected or even hoped for. It is wonderful to have a new sense of faith in my country's leadership!!

To that end, anyone who honestly believes a man can change the world in nine-months time obviously has a lot to learn. A far as I am concerned, the Republican party has no room to judge. They should be more worried about how they can assist with cleaning up the mess their leader made while he was in office. This ignorance and continued disrespect undermines the value and purpose of our democratic society.

October 9, 2009 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  20. JC

I'm really getting sick of this guy whinning. Tell me Steele, what have you done?

October 9, 2009 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  21. nellie

It would not matter if jobs were plentiful. Obama is the president. This morning as I tuned in to CNN, it seems there were more questions about why he was chosen for the award. No one there seemed proud for the United States. Another question I would like answered is why the media wanting a rushed decision as to why, how many and when is this man going to make up his mind about afghanistan? If he would send troops, you would make something out of it, if he didn't same thing. Ratings are needed, but slowdown, you did not pressure George on the very same thing in Iraq.

October 9, 2009 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  22. D. Tree

Um, a Republican talking about jobs and fiscal responsibility? Please spare me the empty words! Your party is the reason America is on the edge of bankruptcy in the first place.

October 9, 2009 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  23. yuri

While it is true that BHO is yet to achieve anything substantive or substantial to merit the Nobel prize, there ain't no need to slam him as a flash in the pan, by the RNC ruffians, who, apparently, are experts in raising hue and cry, rather than the voice in a sensible and sane way.

October 9, 2009 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  24. Eric

The peace prize was diminished when it was awarded to Yasser Arafat. This diminishes it more.

POTUS thus far has only given nice, flowery speeches read from his teleprompter.

Well, talk is cheap.

He accomplished nothing as a US Senator and the trend has continued with his presidency.

October 9, 2009 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  25. Ken from missouri

The republican party is so stupid give them some bait and they will take every time .
    The president represents america and when he get's a award that means america wins for the last 8 years we were seen as a bully in the world we started a war over the wrong reason and we ruled by force and in november we elected a man to change our status in the world and he's done that while still looking out for the safety of our country what we be funny is george w bush receiving this award.

October 9, 2009 10:27 am at 10:27 am |