October 9th, 2009

Rollins: Nobel committee cheapens award

Rollins says the committee awarded the Nobel Prize to President Obama prematurely.

(CNN) - Did the Nobel Committee cheapen the Nobel Peace Prize with its choice of President Obama Friday?

CNN Republican strategist Ed Rollins says the award should be based on what someone has done, not what they might do.

"I think this may be way too preliminary," Rollins said on CNN's American Morning. "At the end of four years, maybe he has accomplished something and deserves it. I think it has diminished the award itself."

I think certainly you have to give him an "A" for trying," Rollins also said. But at the end of the day, what has he accomplished? Who on the world stage are his allies at this point in time?"

Filed under: President Obama
  1. obammythewhiner

cheapens??

makes it WORTHLESS.

October 9, 2009 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  2. sifto77

He will take anything he can get at this point to further his agenda–the peace prize has no validity anymore because of the politics of the people who vote for the recipient.

October 9, 2009 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  3. Accountant Guy

Surprise surprise, a Pathetican is upset that Barack won the award. Get over it Republicans, he won it and he deserved it. You all are just upset that no Republican will ever when one. So just do America a favor and go away Republicans and let the rest of us with a brain fix the mistakes of the last 8 years.

October 9, 2009 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  4. ken3020

I'm an Obama Supporter. Althought "cheapen" in a strong word...I do agree with the sentiment that the award, any award, should be given for accomplished deeds, not the prospect of said accomplishments...

Now this is Damocles' sword hanging over his head.

October 9, 2009 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  5. Mike

He has not accomplished anything but ruin the economy of this country and I guess this is his reward.

October 9, 2009 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  6. Stephy

President Barack Obama hand the American people have given hope to many across the globe. I am not sure if "cheapen" is the right word to use here for the action of the Nobel Committee. It should be a source of celebration for all Americans who put him in power.

October 9, 2009 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  7. cramit

It was cheap when Gore won it. Lets be real , it's politacal bull anyway .

October 9, 2009 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  8. dk

Do not be disrespectful to our president for his receipt of this international honor. Partisan politics is poisoning all attempts to do well.

October 9, 2009 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  9. Ancient Texan

See, that constant campaigning for president (of the world?) for the last 3 years is paying off. When your face is on TV 24/7 you're bound to wind up on somebody's list.

October 9, 2009 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  10. Sam Kaye

If Rollins gives Obama an A for trying, he should give the Republicans an A+ for obstructing and name calling. No Nobel for you guys!

October 9, 2009 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  11. Grow-up

This is not a statement against President Obama, it truly is not, but why reward someone for talking about what they want to do? Why can't the world reward people for what they have accomplished?

October 9, 2009 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  12. Merilyn Jackson

Oh, come on Mr. Rollins....accomplishments are not only measured by tangibles.....

October 9, 2009 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  13. Jeanne

I am surprised that Mr. Rollins would question the decisions of the Nobel committee. Are the Republican strategists now trying to influence international decision making?

October 9, 2009 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  14. Obamalot

I really don't mean to bash, but what has he DONE to deserve this. Nomination packages were submitted in February. He had only been in office a few weeks. The only thing I can see that was accomplished is that he is the first black president of the US. I knew it was crazy when Gore got it, but now I now this is a pandering joke.

October 9, 2009 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  15. Cleaning up after W

Gee, I didn't see this coming from Rollins! The republican plan: Obstruct all that Obama tries to do, then whine that he hasn't accomplished anything.

In my experience, anyone that claims they are "Right" rarely are.

October 9, 2009 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  16. Debby

I agree what did they base on the first Malato to be President.

October 9, 2009 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  17. Adam from Ohio

Sour grapes, Ed ... sour grapes. You partisan sniping cheapens political discourse.

October 9, 2009 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  18. Dan O'Connell, Houston, TX

This response is to be expected from Rollins. Already Obama has dramatically changed how the US is viewed by the world. Through his message and practice he has raised up the US in the eyes world through diplomacy and a positive, problem solving world view. However, The Nobel Committee purposely gave this prize to Obama to also provide him support for his mission. Did it cheapen the prize when the Committee gave it to Mikhail Gorbachev for his fledgling attempts to open up the USSR? No. Rollins reaction smacks of partisanship and is unthinking... but that has become the norm with the Right.

October 9, 2009 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  19. Eleanor

Ed Rollins is an idiot!

October 9, 2009 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  20. jfs Memhis, Tn

I disagree. I feel this award is showing that the World supports the USA and our new young leader. It would seem that this is an opportunity for all to get behind the President and be supportive and not devisive. It is a sad statement being sent forth by Mr. Rollins and the GOP to find fault in this VERY important Global message............guess that's why Ed and his conservative brothern aren't President. Way to go ED....you definately are an individual that helps this nation come together with the process of restoring the USA as a Global Model to be admired and imitated.

October 9, 2009 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  21. JM

I voted for President Obama and I support him, but Rollins is right ... this award is way too soon. They're making assumptions about what he wants to do and as any past President will tell you ... what they want to do and what they actually do are two very different things.

October 9, 2009 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  22. Pat

I am an Obama supporter, but I must confess I don't understand this?
    This just doesnt' seem right that someone who is in power and using that power to kill people from another country can receive the Nobel Peace Prize. Thousands of american soldiers have been killed and who know's how many Afghan civilians have been killed, all by Obama's orders. I hate to say it but this looks like a scam, to try and push a political agenda.

October 9, 2009 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  23. j

See what a willingness to listen will get you? -- Bush only listened to Cheney / Cheney only listened to " the DARK side".

October 9, 2009 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  24. Milton, Harrisburg, PA

I'm surprised that I actually agree with Rollins on this one! It's just that next to George W's fear-mongering, bullying, unilateral, constitution-side-stepping, extralegal, illegal, geneva-convention violating, torture-promoting, war-promoting, supression-of-due process, dictatorial tendencies, Obama SEEMS like he is worthy of a Nobel. We all just got used to a bar set so low that it would require a backhoe to get under it.

October 9, 2009 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  25. Mike

Well the media in the US set the precedent when they anointed him savior, didn't they?

October 9, 2009 09:25 am at 9:25 am |