October 9th, 2009

Trending topics on Twitter: Nobel, President Obama, Humbled

ALT TEXT

The official Barack Obama Twitter account after the announcement of his Nobel Peace Prize award.
(Photo Credit: Twitter.com)

A screengrab of Barack Obama's Twitter account (run by Organizing for America, President Obama's political arm which is now operated out of the Democratic National Committee), echoes the word that, according to Twitter, most Americans have on their mind: humbled. The other two words that quickly rose on Twitter's Trending Topic list, which reflects what is drawing the most discussion on Twitter right now are "Nobel" and "President Obama."

Filed under: President Obama • Social Networking • Twitter
  1. GI Joe

He gives me hope for the future of this country.

The GOP spreads fear and hate and sides with corporate greed.

Which do we need more?

October 9, 2009 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  2. Mark in Atlanta

Dispise twitter. Admire the President. Suprised he won the Nobel Prize so quickly, but glad we have him at the helm.

October 9, 2009 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  3. Deandra, NY

YEAH!

I'm humbled too. I feel as though I won the award. This is a wonderful day. When the world recognizes your president, it's a good thing–a very good thing.

Bring it on Repubs, I can take anything you dish out today. I'm one happy American.

God bless The Nobel Prize Committee, God bless President Obama, and America. Whoohoooooooo!

October 9, 2009 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  4. john

wow, now we will know him as a president of Peace...we know where he stands....
    GWB declared war in 2001 nine months after...
    Now we know what obama has declared!!

October 9, 2009 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  5. Typical Republican

It's horrible and shameful that a US president won the NPP. I feel so ashamed to be american now that my President has won such a prestigious award. I'm going to complain alot about him winning it! I can't stand it when Obama gets awards!

Ok, I'm off to go find something new to complain about. If I don't complain, I'll have to do something eventually. And us republicans pride ourselves on having no solutions, only whines and rants! Just ask...uhh...any republican, they always whine and cry.

I'm so proud to be the 20% of americans that are absolutely worthless, aka republicans.

October 9, 2009 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  6. Deandra

YEAH!

God bless The Nobel Prize Committee, God bless President Obama, and God Bless America. Whoohoooooooo!

October 9, 2009 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  7. A REAL American Democrat

Deserving, Mr. President. Deserving.

October 9, 2009 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  8. Joe Puopolo

Unfortunately, even Huckabee's tempered comment "explain what he did..." sounds like whining. Watching the Republican Party over the last few months really drives home the "walks like a duck" adage. No matter how hard the Republican Party tries, they look and sound like fat, angry, white guys. I wonder why that is?

October 9, 2009 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  9. Deanie, SC

Thank you Nobel Prize Committee, on behalf of all the Americans who are grateful and not angry or jealous.

Whohoooooooooo, kudos Mr. President.

October 9, 2009 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  10. stan

It seems the media is not prasing obama for winning the nobel prize,some media people are asking should he give it back,but my answer to that is hell no,instead of prasing him,their trying to turn this unto a negative,its so sad to see this,rather obama deserved it or not,he got it,so deal with it,and stop trying to destroy him on this,its unbeleivable how jealousy and envious is showing up in the media.

October 9, 2009 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  11. J.P.

This is great news!

... just so long as he doesn't have to submit a birth certificate to claim the prize.

October 9, 2009 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  12. John

What a joke, 2 weeks and he gets a peace price? This kind of crap is what will prevent another black man from ever becoming president again. The guy does nothing in 2 weeks and then goes on to bankrupt the county into crushing debt that will SOON be felt....and we give him a peace prize? What?

October 9, 2009 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  13. Constance, WY

My husband and I went to Denver and we were excited about President Obama's election. We are excited again because now we know the world recognizes what we saw in him–a leader who can't be constrained with petty politics.

We are going out tonight to celebrate two things, our wedding anniversary and our president's Nobel Peace Prize Award.

Congrats, Mr. President

October 9, 2009 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  14. Tony

He has captured the worlds attention and given people of the WORLD hope for a better future. Inspiring the world is not an easy thing to do. How many others have actually done this?

The award was not premature.

October 9, 2009 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  15. Katie, Iowa

This award will be the Republican's "Waterloo". Thank you very much.

October 9, 2009 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  16. T

regardless of party affilation, past nominees, past recipients, no one in their right mind can call this deserved

October 9, 2009 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  17. Robert

Obama – What a Great Man.

He will go down in History 100 years from now as one of the Greatest Leaders on Earth.

What a Great Man we have as our President. The World Honors Obama.

Obama – America is Blessed to have you.

God Bless Obama and God Bless America and God bring Peace to the World.

October 9, 2009 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  18. james barrett

I'm elated for president Obama receiving that award because it is well deserved for his efforts alone.

October 9, 2009 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  19. Phil

The POTUS only accomplished what has never been accomplished in the history of this country. He galvanized his party behind him as a candidate for POTUS and won. This was believed to not be posible here in America. Here is Black American from humble beginnings that came from a mixed race relationship who grew up in Hawaii. Imagine the hope and pride this instilled in millions of people around the world. I dare say this will never be duplicated. Congats Mr President we are all proud of you.

October 9, 2009 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  20. Donna R.

Oh, just hear the Republican hate in 5,4,3,2....

October 9, 2009 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  21. Jon

The response of asking "What did he do in the first two weeks of the Presidency to deserve this?" is typical, deliberate misdirection. The prize was not give to 'Barack Obama for what he's done since being sworn in as President' but simply to 'Barack Obama'. Perhaps a better question would be 'What DIDN"T Ronald Reagan or George W. Bush do in 8 YEARS to NOT win the Nobel Peace Prize?'

October 9, 2009 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  22. kelli

He has given hope that an end of Bush screw ups and cowboy diplomcy may be at an end.

October 9, 2009 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  23. Michael

Im so proud of our President! The right wing nuts are whinning- but that's all they can do.....Whine and vote NO.......

October 9, 2009 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  24. Gretchen

I lost any respect I might have ever had for the Noble Peace Prize concept and awarding process when it was given to Yassar Arafat. This sudden announcement about Obama getting it is pretty underwhelming and frankly silly. It smacks of some kind of consolation prize for not having been handed the Olympics for Chicago, and as a way to keep cameras of the world on a very self-centered,underwhelming US president who is a disgrace to many back home. It almost seems like a backroom deal to shore up his ratings in some way. As I said, I had no respect for the Peace Prize long before 2009 anyway.

October 9, 2009 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  25. LacrosseDad

not to be outdone, the catholic church has beatified Obama as the second coming of the Messiah for things that he might accomplish in the future.

October 9, 2009 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |