October 12th, 2009

Hillary Clinton says she won't run for president again

Clinton said Monday she would not run for president again.
Clinton said Monday she would not run for president again.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said Monday she would not run for president again, and brushed off suggestions that she is being marginalized in the Obama White House.

Clinton, who lost the Democratic presidential nomination to Barack Obama, said "No" three different times when asked by NBC's Ann Curry "Will you ever run for president again? Yes or No?"

"This is a great job," Clinton said in the interview broadcast Monday. "It is a 24-7 job. And I am looking forward to retirement at some point."

After the 2008 elections, Clinton accepted Obama's offer to serve as his top diplomat.

Unless she challenged President Obama in the 2012 Democratic presidential primary, Clinton would have to wait until 2016 to run again if she changed her mind. She turns 62 on October 26.

Clinton also denied that her voice is not being heard in the administration, and said it is not her style to try and be the center of attention.

"I find it absurd," she said. "I find it beyond any realistic assessment of what I am doing everyday."

"Maybe there is some misunderstanding which needs to be clarified. I believe in delegating power. You know, I am not one of these people who feel's like I have to have my face in the front of the newspaper or on the TV every moment of the day. I would be irresponsible and negligent were I to say 'Oh no everything must come to me,'" she said.

"Now, maybe that is a woman's thing. Maybe I am totally secure and feel absolutely no need to go running around in order for people to see what I am doing. It is just the way I am. My goal is to be a very positive force to implement the kind of changes that the president and I believe are in the best interests of our country. But that doesn't mean it all has to be me, me, me all the time. I like lifting people up."

Follow Mark Preston on Twitter: @prestoncnn

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Popular Posts
  1. D.

Clinton:" Obama Peace Prize is a recognition of his vision".....
    Of course it is, without his good vision he would not have been able to read his speeches off the teleprompter!

October 12, 2009 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  2. RRRUSA

If only Sarah Palin had the intelligence to make the SAME announcement that she would not run for President in 2012!
    Instead, she will divide the GOP, dilute the vote, and untimately cost the GOP the White House for another four years.
    ....all to be a selfish rogue!
    She is the female-GOP equivalent of Ralph Nader!

October 12, 2009 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  3. dan smith

Who cares,that's just one more idiot that won't be in office.

October 12, 2009 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  4. peter

NO, let her stay where she is now...
    Her and her husband are scandolous couple!

October 12, 2009 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  5. Kate in SW Fla

Until Michelle Obama, Hillary was the only First Lady to be treated so absolutely ruthlessly. yet she handles that and much, uch more with brilliance, charm and dignity. she was a fabulous pick for this job, and she is doing very well. If she had been all over the news, the critics would find fault about that. She is a team player, always has been and is leading up one of the finest State Depts ever. Now, shen eeds to divert her attention ot Central and South America, before the deeply-imbedded neocons ruin any chances we have of working our our problems in this hemisphere.

October 12, 2009 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  6. Dave

But Jebb Bush is going to Run.

They want to have a 3rd one in the Family.

October 12, 2009 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  7. Tony

Thank god, maybe she will just go away someday. Tired of seeing her smug face, the sad part is she would have probably have been WORSE than Obama, as hard as that is to believe that anyone culd have been doing a worse job than what we have seen so far. What a mess!!!

October 12, 2009 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  8. Robert

Well she surpassed Eleanor Roosevelt a long time ago as the first lady who has achieved the most. She will be a hard act for any future first lady to follow. And she's a pretty good diplomat too. Too bad she couldn't be our first female president, but she has been first in many ways...

October 12, 2009 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  9. JMILTON

Sad to think now that Hillary would ave been a better choice tham Obama. Her and Bill would have kept the Progressives, I mean, Socialist, at bay.

October 12, 2009 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  10. vicky

Has she stopped lying? I guess not!

October 12, 2009 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  11. haren

We have black president next is woman president and that is Hillary.

October 12, 2009 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  12. Shibumi

I think her comment about "having to be on television everyday" and "that doesn't mean it has to be me, me, me all the time" was a jab at the Doofus in Chief, Stinkle Barry.
    One and Done (if we survive)

October 12, 2009 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  13. Can't wait til 2010

She was superior to the puppet in chief who has uh, uh, uh, uh, zero accomplishments unless reading other peoples speeches from a teleprompter is an accomplishment, or apologizing to the world while ignoring this countries greatness or having a beer summit.

Hillary at least brought some substance, this fraud in now HAS ZERO SUBSTANCE no matter how much the media lapdogs try to carry his water, there is NOTHING, NOTHING, NOTHING THERE.

She was not the flavor of the month, he was because, you know.

We are paying for the "you know" every day.

October 12, 2009 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  14. chris

We just need to remember 2008 how canin this lady was to make her a president or even think her being a president....

October 12, 2009 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  15. Mark

Too bad she could beat Obama.

Even the Hillary supporters have to question the medias support for Obama.

October 12, 2009 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  16. fred

whatever! I just don't want Clintons back in the white house!!

October 12, 2009 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  17. Paul from Phoenix

SHe has actually done an admirable job as SOS. It is a shame she is getting laughed at behind closed doors by Obama and Bill. The threw quite the party over the North Korea journalist rescue.

October 12, 2009 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  18. Ambrose Smith, Borrego Springs, California

Republicans are still stinging from their loss. They had all of their knives and guns out KNOWING that Clinton was going to win the Dem nomination in a cakewalk.

They were frothing at the mouth. But they didn't count on Obama taking it.

They were confused. Then they changed gears and decided to go the 'racist/he is a terrorist/where is his birth certificate' route--and the GOP still lost big time.

Thanks McCain and double thanks to sugartskirt Palin. (The quitter)

October 12, 2009 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  19. Lynne

The GOP and the media would have a field day if Hillary Clinton was running or became president. The total frenzy when Bill Clinton went to North Korea everyone was buzzing about which Clinton was Sec. of State.

She is doing an amzing job as Secretary of State!!

October 12, 2009 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  20. joe

But can she win? She is known as pathological liar!

October 12, 2009 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  21. Bridgette

She and the President both said if they lost they would not have run again. I think it's our lost. Because she is a really smart person.

October 12, 2009 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  22. a canuck

I wish I could believe what comes out of her mouth !!!!

October 12, 2009 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  23. ICARE

I am glad that she didnt sit around writing stories in the Senate. This job is so much more fun and so much more powerful :)

Whatever she decides to do in the future, I grant her longevity like her mom. In dark days, we are going to need a Hillary. She's such a fighter.

God bless people with guts!

October 12, 2009 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  24. brown

It will take a village to elect her!

October 12, 2009 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |