October 12th, 2009

Hillary Clinton says she won't run for president again

Clinton said Monday she would not run for president again.

Clinton said Monday she would not run for president again.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said Monday she would not run for president again, and brushed off suggestions that she is being marginalized in the Obama White House.

Clinton, who lost the Democratic presidential nomination to Barack Obama, said "No" three different times when asked by NBC's Ann Curry "Will you ever run for president again? Yes or No?"

"This is a great job," Clinton said in the interview broadcast Monday. "It is a 24-7 job. And I am looking forward to retirement at some point."

After the 2008 elections, Clinton accepted Obama's offer to serve as his top diplomat.

Unless she challenged President Obama in the 2012 Democratic presidential primary, Clinton would have to wait until 2016 to run again if she changed her mind. She turns 62 on October 26.

Clinton also denied that her voice is not being heard in the administration, and said it is not her style to try and be the center of attention.

"I find it absurd," she said. "I find it beyond any realistic assessment of what I am doing everyday."

"Maybe there is some misunderstanding which needs to be clarified. I believe in delegating power. You know, I am not one of these people who feel's like I have to have my face in the front of the newspaper or on the TV every moment of the day. I would be irresponsible and negligent were I to say 'Oh no everything must come to me,'" she said.

"Now, maybe that is a woman's thing. Maybe I am totally secure and feel absolutely no need to go running around in order for people to see what I am doing. It is just the way I am. My goal is to be a very positive force to implement the kind of changes that the president and I believe are in the best interests of our country. But that doesn't mean it all has to be me, me, me all the time. I like lifting people up."

Follow Mark Preston on Twitter: @prestoncnn

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Popular Posts
  1. Zach K

Let her be Secretary of State. She's done so much so far, and Barack made a great choice. 🙂

October 12, 2009 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  2. Mark

She should run against Obama in the primaries. He's really messing things up for the democrats. I suspect she will change her tune in a couple of years and realize that he is extremely vulnerable.

October 12, 2009 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  3. Eric

No way, George Soros has paid her too well to sit in the bleachers. Soros will never let another lib run against his Puppet "Man-Boy" Obama.

October 12, 2009 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  4. diridi

whether she runs or not...we love her so dearly.....when she took the position to Secretary of State...;she is so elevated....ok....Bill Clinton is the one the greatest president...who left with lot of SURPLUS IN THE NATION....WITH IDIOT GEORGE BUSH'S IRAQ...ALL GONE TO DRAIN IN COMMODE....OK...we love her so dearly....postion does not matter...Pres. Obama is doing fine job...so far...otherwise, he would not get NOBEL PRIZE...panel is not crazy to award....he will fic health care with public option...i bet...

October 12, 2009 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  5. Puddin'

I think Hillary Clinton has a good head on her shoulders and had done well for this country. If she or her husband have an insecure bone in their bodies, they sure are good at keeping it hidden. I admire they way they have supported each other (exception is Bill's indiscretion . I wish them both well, and I wish Hillary a "happy birthday" this month.

October 12, 2009 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  6. Angus McDugan

She and all women have been stabbed in the back multiple times by the DNC. Obama did not step up to the plate during his campaign to denounce the sexism and attacks on Hillary and Bill. Even allowing the charge of racism to be placed on Bill. The DNC turned it back on Hillary but not the nation.

October 12, 2009 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  7. Harold, NH

Hurray!!! We won't have to worry about her at least going forward. That's one less thing, right? But why did Ann Curry have to ask her three times? Did she think she was lying? She probably was, but asking her again won't matter, she'll just lie again.

October 12, 2009 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  8. buckwheat

I don't think there will be such a position in 3 1/2 years.You don't run for dictator.

October 12, 2009 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  9. Fools and their freedoms are soon parted

Right...just like we all believed she wasn't a "stand by your man" kind of woman....

October 12, 2009 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  10. Messiahsaurus

Oh but for the love of cosmos, please don't show me Palin is ISIS?!?!

Again, Run Hillary Run!!!

October 12, 2009 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  11. yuri

Never say never again, Hillary! A lot of numskulls and neanderthals are lookin' forward to runnin' for office and by thwartin' 'em, you will serve the country and save it from their clutches.

October 12, 2009 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  12. R in Maine

Your supporters are still there for you.

October 12, 2009 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  13. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Yeah, riiiiight.

October 12, 2009 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  14. Here it comes....

Maybe she sees that it's a lot harder than simply making campaign promises?

October 12, 2009 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  15. Hillary has no.......

meaningful power as Sec. of State.......Biden and Obama run everything....if she had ANY self-respect she would resign......

October 12, 2009 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  16. Roger

YOU GO HILLARY...people need stand upto the media, they get something in their minds & then the next thing you know it is wide spread even if it is not true....The media seems to want to PLANT things or start something & then turn it into a news story....I look at it like this if Hillary was not happy she would walk away from the Sec. of State job, she is enough of her own person she could & would succeed otherwise.

October 12, 2009 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  17. Zeb

This makes me cry! Please say it's not true!!

October 12, 2009 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  18. Scott

Thanks God.....

October 12, 2009 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  19. Danny in NJ

i love hillary!

October 12, 2009 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  20. Scott

Thank God.....

October 12, 2009 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  21. Mark in Austin TX

She's always a classy woman! Smart, compassionate and more concerned about the common good than her own self interests, regardless of how the right wing likes to smear her.

October 12, 2009 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  22. Four and The Door

She knows as well as everyone else in Washington that the continuing, even growing economy problems in spite of the huge spending programs launched by this administration and congress mean one thing. The Democrats had their run and it didn't work. It just left us with a bigger hole to climb out of.

October 12, 2009 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  23. Enough

That's too bad. She should run against Obama in 2012, by then the Democrats should have wised up and realized she would have been the better choice than Obama. Heck, Obama still hasn't answered that phone call at 3am..............phones still ringing, waiting for him to respond.

October 12, 2009 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  24. Chris

In the words of Joe Wilson – LIAR!

October 12, 2009 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  25. Jayden,FL

Well obviously she's not going to say YES I'm going to run for president again when asked.. she will say no... which really means YES... don't they all say NO when asked about running for President?... Hillary Clinton will run for president again.. 2016.... VP 2012? Perhaps

October 12, 2009 10:21 am at 10:21 am |