October 12th, 2009

Hillary Clinton says she won't run for president again

Clinton said Monday she would not run for president again.

Clinton said Monday she would not run for president again.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said Monday she would not run for president again, and brushed off suggestions that she is being marginalized in the Obama White House.

Clinton, who lost the Democratic presidential nomination to Barack Obama, said "No" three different times when asked by NBC's Ann Curry "Will you ever run for president again? Yes or No?"

"This is a great job," Clinton said in the interview broadcast Monday. "It is a 24-7 job. And I am looking forward to retirement at some point."

After the 2008 elections, Clinton accepted Obama's offer to serve as his top diplomat.

Unless she challenged President Obama in the 2012 Democratic presidential primary, Clinton would have to wait until 2016 to run again if she changed her mind. She turns 62 on October 26.

Clinton also denied that her voice is not being heard in the administration, and said it is not her style to try and be the center of attention.

"I find it absurd," she said. "I find it beyond any realistic assessment of what I am doing everyday."

"Maybe there is some misunderstanding which needs to be clarified. I believe in delegating power. You know, I am not one of these people who feel's like I have to have my face in the front of the newspaper or on the TV every moment of the day. I would be irresponsible and negligent were I to say 'Oh no everything must come to me,'" she said.

"Now, maybe that is a woman's thing. Maybe I am totally secure and feel absolutely no need to go running around in order for people to see what I am doing. It is just the way I am. My goal is to be a very positive force to implement the kind of changes that the president and I believe are in the best interests of our country. But that doesn't mean it all has to be me, me, me all the time. I like lifting people up."

Follow Mark Preston on Twitter: @prestoncnn

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Popular Posts
  1. Steve

❤ you Hillary. Happy early birthday!

October 12, 2009 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  2. Proud member of "Global Zero"

I wish she would. After the Presidents second term, I would love to have her in the White House. Hey Madam Secretary...please run. We would love to canvass and get out the vote for you.

You would be great!!!

October 12, 2009 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  3. Sharon,Daniel Island

and we are grateful,now if we can get the same promise from ms palin herself.

October 12, 2009 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  4. Victim of Liberal stupidity

That's right Hillary, after Obama and his liberals are done destroying our Nation President of the World would give you and Billy Bob so much more power and money!

October 12, 2009 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  5. frank, pennsylvania

Great woman! Republicans take a clue from her on how to play responsible politics!

October 12, 2009 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  6. Melissa

I hope she changes her mind. I really like Obama but I think she's learning alot from him, and would make a better run for it the next time around.

October 12, 2009 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  7. Robert

I wish she run for president . but she is a great head diplomat

October 12, 2009 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  8. Mark

As much as I CANNOT STAND Hillary, why is there such a terrible picture of her up there? From my experience on CNN.com, EVERYONE's picture is always terrible. This of course has one exception, President Obama. The pictures of him always chosen for CNN articles make him look noble and thoughtful, but everyone else gets a picture of them that they probably never want to see. What gives?

October 12, 2009 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  9. Independent Thinker

I wish that she would.

October 12, 2009 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  10. Manuel TX

This is probably a good idea, since some in the Democratic party did whatever it took to keep her out of the president's chair...whatever it took.

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

October 12, 2009 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  11. The Real Tom Paine

My, the Conservatives will be so disappointed. The good news for them is that the president will be around until 2016, so they will have plenty of oppportunities to whine, complain, and throw their little tantrums.

On the other hand, they could just be like Palin, and quit.

We can only hope.

October 12, 2009 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  12. James

How much better off we would be if she had one. Instead we got the well spoken empty suit.

October 12, 2009 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  13. Liam Danhof

Mrs. Clinton.....PLEASE do not say you will not run again. This country needs you when Mr. Obama's term is over. I am 63 so we are boomers together and I see no reason you can't run when your 68...
    If you do not run we will NEVER have a female president in our lifetimes so it is up to you. Remember your roots and what WE stood for when we were younger. I also am from Chicago and we are not quitters but doers and know how to get the job done. I think if you would have had a better compaine you would have won. In the last few months of the campaine you regrouped and were winning, don't forget that. Please reconsider and run girl run. WE NEED YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

October 12, 2009 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  14. Hillary Clinton Delegate from CA 10th

Madame Secretary Hillary Clinton,

Thank you for all that you do.

If you decide to run again, I am there for you again 100%.

All the best to you and your family.

Rob

October 12, 2009 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  15. Richie

Hillary, I am so proud of you and so proud that I supported your presidential bid. Keep up the good work.

October 12, 2009 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  16. Dan, TX

Most men are also secure and don't feel a need to go running around in order for people to see what they are doing. There are a lot of people like you Madam Secretary. It is just a pity that the news media only care about the ones that do run around looking for attention.

Keep up the good work.

October 12, 2009 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  17. MadMen

Best news coming out of Washington all year!

October 12, 2009 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  18. Mark,B'ham,Al.

I will beleive it after the 2016 elections are over!

October 12, 2009 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  19. Naomi

Ok, go away now, you are just looking for spotlight...

October 12, 2009 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  20. Peggy - TX

She sure is doing a greate job as Secretary of State.

October 12, 2009 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  21. ch

I hope that Hillary changes her mind regarding a future run for President.

The fact that she would be almost 70 in 2016 is probably the biggest obstacle. And not even Hillary can stop time!

In retrospect, she should have run in 2004 – she would have easily defeated the weak field of democrats, become the first female presidential nominee and possibly defeated Bush.

Really a shame that such a brilliant woman may never serve as our President.

October 12, 2009 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  22. Rick CT

She said "No" several times as a NY Senator as well. Why believe her now?

October 12, 2009 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  23. joe

Here comes jealousy...

October 12, 2009 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  24. spencer

rush limbaugh is a political pundit that, not only the republican party wants nothing to do with, but as we've seen in the last couple of days, neither does the national football league "or" the national football league players association !! why dave checketts, the brains behind the st. louis blues nhl franchise would want to partner up with this political pundit, who at best is hated by more than liked, is anybodys guess, other than maybe rush has deep pockets.
    checketts' expertise when with madison square garden inc. was second to none, and the way the blues have improved 500% since being run by he and gm john davidson has been nothing short of great !! but checketts will find out that the number of people that rush has rubbed the wrong way over the years will be the downfall of then aquiring the rams.
    hey dave: "get a new partner quick !!"

October 12, 2009 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  25. What a Joke

If she says she will run, that will be the cover story for weeks and weeks, and then the media will say she is making a decision too soon. Give the lady a break. If she wants to run, she will run on her own time and not according to what people think she should or should not do.

October 12, 2009 10:59 am at 10:59 am |