October 12th, 2009

Hillary Clinton says she won't run for president again

Clinton said Monday she would not run for president again.

Clinton said Monday she would not run for president again.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said Monday she would not run for president again, and brushed off suggestions that she is being marginalized in the Obama White House.

Clinton, who lost the Democratic presidential nomination to Barack Obama, said "No" three different times when asked by NBC's Ann Curry "Will you ever run for president again? Yes or No?"

"This is a great job," Clinton said in the interview broadcast Monday. "It is a 24-7 job. And I am looking forward to retirement at some point."

After the 2008 elections, Clinton accepted Obama's offer to serve as his top diplomat.

Unless she challenged President Obama in the 2012 Democratic presidential primary, Clinton would have to wait until 2016 to run again if she changed her mind. She turns 62 on October 26.

Clinton also denied that her voice is not being heard in the administration, and said it is not her style to try and be the center of attention.

"I find it absurd," she said. "I find it beyond any realistic assessment of what I am doing everyday."

"Maybe there is some misunderstanding which needs to be clarified. I believe in delegating power. You know, I am not one of these people who feel's like I have to have my face in the front of the newspaper or on the TV every moment of the day. I would be irresponsible and negligent were I to say 'Oh no everything must come to me,'" she said.

"Now, maybe that is a woman's thing. Maybe I am totally secure and feel absolutely no need to go running around in order for people to see what I am doing. It is just the way I am. My goal is to be a very positive force to implement the kind of changes that the president and I believe are in the best interests of our country. But that doesn't mean it all has to be me, me, me all the time. I like lifting people up."

Follow Mark Preston on Twitter: @prestoncnn

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Popular Posts
  1. Crunch Hardtack

Too bad, because I would GLADLY vote for her in 2016

October 12, 2009 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  2. Va 4 Obama

Darn it !! Secretary Clinton would make an excellent President.

October 12, 2009 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  3. Unlearned Hand

I, too, am looking forward to her retirement 'at some point'. Hopefully it will come sooner than later.

October 12, 2009 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  4. Ajay Jain, Garland, TX, USA

Hillary you should run again in 2020.

HILLARY for President 2020!

October 12, 2009 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  5. T'SAH from Virginia

STOP trying to force words in Hillary's mouth!!! Journalist LOVE to start RUMORS and then try to make the RUMOR true by asking the SAME questions over and over again!!! Dang!!

I love Hillary and wouldn't be surprise if President Obama DOES NOT run in 2012 BECAUSE, he will accomplish what he set out to accomplish in his first four years – therefore, this would give Hillary a chance to run for president in 2012..... That would be something, uh??

Now, spread that thought and maybe you will get some traction on it!!!

October 12, 2009 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  6. Jay T.

She's done a fantastic job as Secretary of State. Just think, at this point in Bush's administration, Bush had ignored warnings about a terrorist attack because he was too busy living it up in Texas and, as a result, we were attacked. Nice going, cowboy!

October 12, 2009 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  7. Bill Austin

I really hate to hear that Hillary will not run for president again. We, the American people need her in that capacity.

October 12, 2009 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  8. ken

But you are.....get over it!

October 12, 2009 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  9. brian

The more she talks, the more I want to kick the chit out of, not her, but Obama for picking her in the first place.

October 12, 2009 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  10. Chipster

Hillary Clinton has always had public service goals that capture her focus. She never lets rumor, gossip, criticism, praise, or celebrity deter her from her goal of making the U.S. and the world a better and safer place for families and children. Civil rights, women's rights, childrens rights, peace, and prosperity – those are her priorities. The campaigning and media nonsense are simply means to an end. She has not and will not waiver as long as there is work to do.

It drives her critics a little nuts but so what?

October 12, 2009 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  11. karen

"Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton says she thinks President Barack Obama was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize because of "his attitude toward America's role in the world."

This, coming from the politician who enthusiastically endorsed the Iraqi War and accused all of its critics of "putting the security of the American people at risk", threatened to obliterate Iran, supported initiatives with which to shun the UN, and called Obama's belief in diplomacy "naive".

Clinton is such a hy-po-crite.

October 12, 2009 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  12. Nick

I am not one of those people who feel I have to have my face in front of the newspaper and TV every day ... It's just the way I am."

"My goal is to be a very positive force to implement the kind of changes that the president and I believe are in the best interest of country, but that doesn't mean it has to be me, me, me all the time. I like lifting people up."

Thats the funniest thing she's said in a long time.

October 12, 2009 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  13. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

Spoken like a true stateswoman.

October 12, 2009 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  14. Eva from Tampa

She is an amazing Secretary of State! Would recommend Obama selects her as his VP in 2012.

October 12, 2009 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  15. LacrosseMom

As Sec. of State, it would be inappropriate of Mrs. Clinton to say she would run for president again! I can't believe that the media asks this question! Honestly.

Her responsibility, right now, today, is to the people & president of the United States. She has a full life with her present job.

The Obama administration has been in Office for almost....... 10 MONTHS! Give them all a break, already!

October 12, 2009 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  16. Larry

Ms Clinton has in no way been marginalized by the Obama administration

She is doing exactly what the Secretary of State does

And doing a GREAT job of it ...

October 12, 2009 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  17. Michael

To be honest with you Hillary, this is just another example of how some in the press have been mess-going since last year's primaries. Keep up the good work! As for Mark, thanks for getting her perspective on this nonsense being spewed out by some who talk as if the primaries happened last month or so.

October 12, 2009 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  18. B, Atlanta

When a politician says, he/she is not marginalized that means they are. Her time is move over and provide some other an opportunity. I am not seeing her do anything in the job she currently has. But one good thing is it is not just her, the entire administration is doing nothing. She is consistent with others.

October 12, 2009 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  19. Sheryl

In my mind it is like a Two for One attitude.
    This Administration will turn this Country around for the better, Change is occuring all around the World for Peace.

Regardless of the Fear, Negativity & Ignorance coming from those that will never accomplish the same. It is Sad that within in America that wehave those that fight against Americans best interest both hear and abroad. Selfish Greed, when will enough be enough for those that degrade our President daily.

President Obama will not Fail this Country. Keep the Change coming. We Like It, We Love It, We Want Some More Of It !!!

No to Special Interest & Lobbyist that fight for Cash and not the Rights of the People.

October 12, 2009 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  20. Interceptor

Hillary is 10 times smarter than the reporter asking those baseless questions about being marginalized. She is an excellent leader and manager which is why she has surrounded herself by a strong and effective team. She is focused on accomplishing the mission of the Dept of State and is doing an excellent job.

October 12, 2009 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  21. Marc L

She might be the most two faced, phony politician there ever was.

October 12, 2009 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  22. Brad of IL.

Hillary & Bill need too retire and enjoy retirement . Hopefully when you leave in 2012, you will take this President with you also. Send him packing too Georgia and he and family can buy a Peanut Farm from Jimmy Carter.Sure wished you the best of luck in your endeavors. Good luck too the Obama family once we rid this country of his so called political wisdom. May GOD forgive this admin. for all the ills they do.

October 12, 2009 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  23. Jim

Yeah right Hillary, ask any current or former US Secret Service Agent that has had the displeasure of meeting this woman and listen to the stories. Having worked at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center for years I have talked with about 10 USSS Agents that have worked Hillary's or the Clinton detail. They all tell stories about a dispicable self absorbed human being.

Too bad the USSS can not go public with the stories about this woman behind the scenes. She once prohibited Chelea from speaking to the USSS Agents.

What a JOKE!!!

October 12, 2009 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  24. suzy

It should have been you Hillary!
    YOU ARE THE BEST!!!!!!!

October 12, 2009 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  25. Ray

She'd make such a great president.

October 12, 2009 11:27 am at 11:27 am |