October 12th, 2009

Hillary Clinton says she won't run for president again

Clinton said Monday she would not run for president again.

Clinton said Monday she would not run for president again.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said Monday she would not run for president again, and brushed off suggestions that she is being marginalized in the Obama White House.

Clinton, who lost the Democratic presidential nomination to Barack Obama, said "No" three different times when asked by NBC's Ann Curry "Will you ever run for president again? Yes or No?"

"This is a great job," Clinton said in the interview broadcast Monday. "It is a 24-7 job. And I am looking forward to retirement at some point."

After the 2008 elections, Clinton accepted Obama's offer to serve as his top diplomat.

Unless she challenged President Obama in the 2012 Democratic presidential primary, Clinton would have to wait until 2016 to run again if she changed her mind. She turns 62 on October 26.

Clinton also denied that her voice is not being heard in the administration, and said it is not her style to try and be the center of attention.

"I find it absurd," she said. "I find it beyond any realistic assessment of what I am doing everyday."

"Maybe there is some misunderstanding which needs to be clarified. I believe in delegating power. You know, I am not one of these people who feel's like I have to have my face in the front of the newspaper or on the TV every moment of the day. I would be irresponsible and negligent were I to say 'Oh no everything must come to me,'" she said.

"Now, maybe that is a woman's thing. Maybe I am totally secure and feel absolutely no need to go running around in order for people to see what I am doing. It is just the way I am. My goal is to be a very positive force to implement the kind of changes that the president and I believe are in the best interests of our country. But that doesn't mean it all has to be me, me, me all the time. I like lifting people up."

Follow Mark Preston on Twitter: @prestoncnn

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Popular Posts
  1. 30m-PA-former Dem

Now she his presidential, not this wimp we have in the office now.

October 12, 2009 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  2. Lauren in Ohio

Duh,,,,,, of course she will will not run for Prez.

She now understand the power of ACORN, also the fact that popularity now plays an more important part of choosing a president than substance. And she is smart enought o see the strong liberal push in this country. She will never be able to beat Obama and his buddies.

October 12, 2009 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  3. TangledThorns

Man people were wrong thinking Hillary would be the first POTUS. The reality is we're going to a see female POTUS in 2013 and her name is Sarah Palin.

October 12, 2009 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  4. Andrew

Well it would certainly be a shame for her not to run in 2016, since apart from the Vice-President, there is no real democrat with the kind of reknown that can take over the Presidency after Mr. Obama.
    If you think about both she and the Vice-President are about the same age and I thought Biden accepted nomination for VP on the condition that he NOT have to run for POTUS in 2016...

October 12, 2009 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  5. Romulo Gravina

I'm very sorry to hear that! United States, need Hillary, to finish Obama plans, that will make 16 years, off excelent service.Go Hillary!!!

October 12, 2009 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  6. Jabli Izvesti

She won't run in 2012,if Obama runs.That's all we can say right now.

October 12, 2009 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  7. G2

Obama isn't even using her talents. She is marginalized. She should quit and run for Governor of New York. This position is killing her career and her spirit.

October 12, 2009 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  8. winston

The lady is breathe of fresh air as opposed to all these wanabes

October 12, 2009 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  9. arapikos

Hillary Clinton is a "Class Act" Just the kind of women we need in our government. Got my utmost respect and will keep her in mind–just in case she decides to run in 2016.

October 12, 2009 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  10. Cevin

Thank god, the Democrat version of Palin won't mess up future elections with her power hungry ego. Much appreciated Hillary. Marginalized? She does a great job by herself in that regard. Go away Clintons, go away.

October 12, 2009 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  11. jj

She is arrogant according to me...

October 12, 2009 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  12. JURONE

mrs. clinton thats style and class. a lot people would not understand that. but you have always demonstrated that ,thanks for all you do and have done for our country you are a HERO.

October 12, 2009 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  13. Tainna, FL

I would vote for her in 2016. But if Barack Obama runs again, he definitely has my vote.

October 12, 2009 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  14. Bubble of Sanity

It's always nice to have some good news to start off a Monday. Of course, "truth" has always been a fragile concept for someone named "Clinton."

October 12, 2009 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  15. AZ Jake

Hillary is a nice lady. If she were president she would be the brunt of wingnut Rethuglican spew.

Too nice a lady for that. You go girl.

October 12, 2009 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  16. Stu- SW Florida

she was cut out for this job and she's doing fine with it!

October 12, 2009 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  17. Rodrigue

She's is doing great

October 12, 2009 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  18. Independent in Arizona

I would be very sorry if Hillary doesn't run for president in the future.

October 12, 2009 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  19. ken

She was very mean to then candidate Obama. I don't want her she is an arrogant woman who thinks she is all that!

October 12, 2009 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  20. zap01

Good news for the republicans! They only have to worry about Chelsey now. Or whomever runs for that matter. The bums on the benches in DC would be a threat to them. They must play the "can't beat em, join em" sometime or never gain the power they had.

October 12, 2009 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  21. megan

Love the Hilldog, no she is not running again. She has given over 30 years of her life to this country, hopefully by 2012 Hillary and Bill will be loving grandparents. Come on Chelsea get with it lol.

October 12, 2009 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  22. joan

I hope that Hillary changes her mind regarding a future run for President. The fact that she would be almost 70 in 2016 is probably the biggest obstacle. And not even Hillary can stop time! Really a shame that such a brilliant woman may never serve as our President.

October 12, 2009 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  23. tracy

As tall grass veils a serpent, is HRC content in her "great job" over being president. She will strike when the timing is politically useful to her and futhers her insatiable power quest.

October 12, 2009 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  24. tracy

Good. Now we can be sure to be rid of the Clinton stigma for good. Two of the most dishonest, self-serving people in the history of this nation's politics.

And though I understand that Hillary has been effective while attending luncheons in France or Ireland, she has been absolutely useless when it comes to diplomacy with problem nations like NK and the Middle East.
    Most of the nations we have trouble with have no respect for females. Sorry, ladies, but it's true.
    Obama would do well to replace her with Bill Richardson if and when he's reelected. If not sooner.

October 12, 2009 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |