October 12th, 2009

Limbaugh: 'The media didn't make me, and they can't break me'

Limbaugh told an interviewer the media couldn't 'break' him.
Limbaugh told an interviewer the media couldn't 'break' him.

(CNN) – Conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh is dismissing Democratic campaigns to paint him as the man steering the Republican Party, and media frenzies over his most controversial comments.

"The media didn't make me, and they can't break me," he said in a portion of an NBC interview that aired Monday.

"I am not the leader of the Republican Party. Don't want to be the leader of the Republican Party," said Limbaugh. "It's silly for them to keep talking about how I'm the leader of anything, it's just creating more curiosity about me. It's 21 years, more popular than ever. Lord, thank you for my enemies."

In interview excerpts released by the network, Limbaugh said he had been moved by the election of the nation's first black president - "but I got over it pretty quickly."

Obama's election has heightened racial discord, he said. "I predicted to you it was going to exacerbate racial problems, and it has," said Limbaugh. "There's a race industry in the country. They make money off it. They have fame and fortune off of it. And I predicted exactly what's happened.

"Any criticism of President Obama is going to be said to be oriented in racism. And if you don't like his health care bill, it's racist. If you don't like his cap and trade, it's racist."

Limbaugh also said grateful for the prescription drug addiction that forced him into treatment six years ago.

"I actually thank God for my addiction," he said. "I learned more about myself in rehab than I would have ever learned otherwise."

Follow Rebecca Sinderbrand on Twitter: @sinderbrandrcnn

Filed under: Extra • Popular Posts • Rush Limbaugh
  1. dee

I can't stand Rush but I agree with him..the more the media talks about him, the bigger he gets....I guess people haven't learned that when you ignore the idiot in the room, they eventually shut up....

October 12, 2009 08:56 am at 8:56 am |
  2. Josh

I am a conservative, but I have no idea why people listen to this uneducated windbag.

October 12, 2009 08:57 am at 8:57 am |
  3. Va 4 Obama

This man is mean-spirited, hate-filled and ignorant! It is unbelievable to me that he has a top rated talk show and people will listen to the offensive dialogue this man spews! Imagine the outrage if a Democratic talk show host had made $400 million dollars trashing GW Bush. Then of course the Republican base would have been crying how unpatriotic that was. But their HYPOCRISY is again on full display in their ringing endorsement of this blatant RACIST!!

October 12, 2009 08:59 am at 8:59 am |
  4. sherry

Limbaugh is a leader of Hate.....He spew's forth venum and rhetoric.
    How anyone feel's he has anything of substance to say is letting their out of touch with reality shine through.
    Limbaugh is a legend is his own mind.

October 12, 2009 09:01 am at 9:01 am |
  5. Christopher

Rush Limbaugh, Ann Coulter, Sarah Palin, George W. Bush all need to go away. They are the worst. Ultimately they support the democratic party, because they make us incredibly angry. So we end up standing up and giving support to more wise decisions that are not on their agenda. America has not grown up, if these 4 have followers.

October 12, 2009 09:01 am at 9:01 am |
  6. Dan

Oh, what a little martyr. Get over yourself, fathead!

October 12, 2009 09:02 am at 9:02 am |
  7. Fitz in Texas

I never was a Rush Limbaugh listener before all the attacks on him from "the government owned media"......Thanks "government owned media" for turning me into a Rush Limbaugh listener. I really do enjoy his show!

October 12, 2009 09:02 am at 9:02 am |
  8. Tom

Stupid is as stupid does!

October 12, 2009 09:04 am at 9:04 am |
  9. John

I like this guy.And is so bad that CNN is not promoting his comments regarding politics.

October 12, 2009 09:04 am at 9:04 am |
  10. James

Rush has guts – I may not always agree with him – but I am glad he does what he wants to do.

As for the WH ignoring Fox... shows what cowards they are, and how they are trying to maniupulate the media the same way Chavez is. They can't get the fact that there are a ton of Libertarians and Independents that watch that channel to – and the message the WH is sending is "you aren't good enough for us to even talk to". Well – we are the majority, as the polls of that station are the highest... so continue to ignore, and give every opponent you have free reign to speak without challenge. I am hoping they will pull Hillary back on. She was more entertaining anyway.

October 12, 2009 09:05 am at 9:05 am |
  11. Rob R

Mr. Limbaugh, you cannot in good conscience say that you have not participated in this "race industry"; that you have not knowingly fanned the flames of bigotry and hatred...maybe treatment did not teach you as much about yourself as you thought...fade away haters...your end is near...fade away...

October 12, 2009 09:05 am at 9:05 am |
  12. John (A Republican African American)

Ha, Good For you Rush. Democrats are so full of hate and lies.

October 12, 2009 09:05 am at 9:05 am |
  13. Tom

Is it just me...or does he look like Archie Bunker

October 12, 2009 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  14. Freedomics

Rush Limbaugh is the public face of what ails our great country. We need debate and political compromise, not hate and political fratricide.

October 12, 2009 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  15. Anonymous

His days are numbered...same with any radio show host who caters to the weak, scared and uneducated. Listen to any of these shows and take note of the intellect of the callers.

October 12, 2009 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  16. Kenneth

He's a fool.

October 12, 2009 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  17. WhatAJerk

Limbaugh is right he's popular, with the less desirable elements of society. He has lots of money... And he's still a Jerk! Even with all that money. He's been able to turn all that negativity into money. Guess what? Some day you will answer for all of it and you still can't take it with you. He really is a true capitalist. He's a business man trying to make some money. Can't blame him for it. He's just using all of those people for that purpose.

October 12, 2009 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  18. Terry from West Texas

One thing you've got to say about Rush: he has been very lucky! No looks, no brains, and no talent, yet he earns more than a million bucks a week. Don't tell me that the free market is fair!

October 12, 2009 09:07 am at 9:07 am |
  19. diridi

this guy is a totally an idiot...of all times....21 century needs to changehim....

October 12, 2009 09:07 am at 9:07 am |
  20. Dave

"The media didn't make me," says the man whose entire career has been based in RADIO. Oblivious much, Rushbo?

I never considered Rush to be any kind of genius, but when he isn't even aware of the fact that he *IS* part of the media, I may have to downgrade my assessment even further. In the menatime, Rush is falling, along with his party. If I were a Republican, I'd be dumping that party at this point, just out of embarrassment at the stupidity that Limbaugh, Beck, Hannity, and Levin are propagating.

October 12, 2009 09:08 am at 9:08 am |
  21. Bob from pittsburgh

Limbaugh

"I actually thank God for my addiction,"

The man is right..!!! He has only himself to blame..

No one could posibly make such an idiot..

October 12, 2009 09:08 am at 9:08 am |
  22. Claudia

I thank the Lord for his enemies, too. If everyone agrees with him this country would be the largest hate group even over the Taliban and Al Queda.

I know he has an audience.....I know greedy creeps reside on Wall street....I know bad people exist.....I just don't like it that they have a radio station and make millions.

October 12, 2009 09:08 am at 9:08 am |
  23. Peoples Voice

You are right, Rush. You will break yourself.

October 12, 2009 09:08 am at 9:08 am |
  24. Rumsfeld

Why does anyone think this guy matters? He is a bloated, bigoted, drug abuser with a loud mouth and a national platform. If he didn't have a "talk-show", he'd be the guy everyone avoided.

October 12, 2009 09:09 am at 9:09 am |