October 12th, 2009

Limbaugh: 'The media didn't make me, and they can't break me'

Limbaugh told an interviewer the media couldn't 'break' him.
Limbaugh told an interviewer the media couldn't 'break' him.

(CNN) – Conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh is dismissing Democratic campaigns to paint him as the man steering the Republican Party, and media frenzies over his most controversial comments.

"The media didn't make me, and they can't break me," he said in a portion of an NBC interview that aired Monday.

"I am not the leader of the Republican Party. Don't want to be the leader of the Republican Party," said Limbaugh. "It's silly for them to keep talking about how I'm the leader of anything, it's just creating more curiosity about me. It's 21 years, more popular than ever. Lord, thank you for my enemies."

In interview excerpts released by the network, Limbaugh said he had been moved by the election of the nation's first black president - "but I got over it pretty quickly."

Obama's election has heightened racial discord, he said. "I predicted to you it was going to exacerbate racial problems, and it has," said Limbaugh. "There's a race industry in the country. They make money off it. They have fame and fortune off of it. And I predicted exactly what's happened.

"Any criticism of President Obama is going to be said to be oriented in racism. And if you don't like his health care bill, it's racist. If you don't like his cap and trade, it's racist."

Limbaugh also said grateful for the prescription drug addiction that forced him into treatment six years ago.

"I actually thank God for my addiction," he said. "I learned more about myself in rehab than I would have ever learned otherwise."

Follow Rebecca Sinderbrand on Twitter: @sinderbrandrcnn

Filed under: Extra • Popular Posts • Rush Limbaugh
  1. Brian

You can't break Limbaugh, he was broken years ago, most likely in his childhood. I have rarely met an individual so hateful, so bitter in his own life that he wants to drag others right down with him. He is a sad reflection on what deemed as entertainment in America.

October 12, 2009 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  2. Steve

It's amazing that one man is more powerful than CNN, pMSNBC, ABC, CBS, NBC combined. But then again, that is largly due to the failures of these organizations for reporting TRUTH.

October 12, 2009 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  3. Doug, New Jersey

People who love America and fight for it, like our military, have a voice in Rush Limbaugh, someone who can stand up for their correct views and beliefs, and fight against the liberal lies and distortions.

All you libs who want to censor truth sayers like Limbaugh should run that idea by the men and women fighting for our freedom around the world. Tell them that the very freedoms that they are shredding blood to preserve, are the freedoms you want to take away from Americans who simply love this country and want to have an honest disucssion, not a lie ridden Obama love fest void of the truth.

If Limbaugh was just a hater who had no valid argument then the Democrats would be able to counter the things he says. Instead, they cannot take them on so they call him names like racist or even now terrorist (which they wont even call those who killed 3,000 Americans on 9/11), all in the name of censoring the truth so they continue to spread their lies and distortions.

October 12, 2009 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  4. Thanks Rush.......

for exposing the socialist agenda in Washington......the oppressed are trying to become the oppressors and continued exposure is necessary to avoid a totalitarian gov't led by the oligarchy.

October 12, 2009 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  5. Carew Marcus

Who is Rush Limbaugh anyway ? anyone can sit behind the Radio mike – talk a lot of rubbish, cry and race-bait ! but does that mean they can be president? absolutely not. Limbaugh cant even run his own home – 3 dead marriages to show for it – He pop pills to stay active and alert – comes on TV to spill hate and lies – "the measure of a man is not by what he says or how much hate he spills" – look at their lives and you can tell a story about who they are – Limbaugh look at your life and that should tell you if you should be doing what you are doing or not – as that singer said " Take A Look At Your Self In The Mirror . . ."

October 12, 2009 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  6. dave smith

I used to listen to this guy about 15 years ago. I thought it was pretty good humor. Then people began to take him serious. For myself, I don't need a talking head to tell me what to think. I can do very well on my own thank you! Now, I think they are all scary. I believe they foment hatings for ratings. I am a republican and have been for 40 years. I think Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity are a couple of hockey pucks! To be more specific I think Rush is a putz and he is laughing all the way to the bank for the way the conservative right is acting.

October 12, 2009 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  7. marty F

United we stand....Divided we fall

This man and Beck et.al. are dividing us and will bring our country down so that their followers can vent without being accountable for constructive alternative ideas

Only PBS can be trusted to provide fair,balanced,intelligent views...too bad most Americans onlly want News as entertainment.

October 12, 2009 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  8. Doug

come on Limbaugh...then who is?...your the crowned leader...
    it's got your name all over it..... GOOD LUCK!

October 12, 2009 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  9. BobH.

I love it that Rush is complaining about "The Media" when he himself is one of the biggest fishes in that pond.

October 12, 2009 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  10. dromad

uhhhh...you are the media Rush.

October 12, 2009 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  11. Felice Judkins

"A haughty spirit comes before a fall"

October 12, 2009 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  12. ronvan

Rush is an idiot who thrives on his outrageous talk and fame and does nothing to help this country other than to incite others to hate!

October 12, 2009 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  13. Drew

Racial prejudice in the United States of America is rooted deep in the fabric of this society and goes back generations, before the births of both President Obama and Rush Limbaugh. So, the election has not created anything new – the fever of racial hatred has always been here, this country is soaked in it like a cloth soaked in gasoline. Some would say that it's the South that's full of hatred and racism and I would say that if you're calling the South everything below the American-Canadian border, then I would agree that the South is full of hatred and racism. We're not picking your cotton anymore – pick it yourself!

October 12, 2009 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  14. E.C.Coleman

AMEN!
    You Go, Rush............You Go!

You're the Only Truth on the Radio and in the State Controlled Media!
    Thank Goodness for your mind, your talent, and your Radio Show!
    It's so refreshing to hear the TRUTH!

Many obama supporters see what a horriblie mistake sits in
    the White House!

What a loser is the Nobel Prize!!!
    From this time forward, the World will view the Nobel as an inferior,
    sad commentary on achievement. What a joke.

October 12, 2009 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  15. runnerBR

Don't worry, sir! You "break" yourself and your causes because of your what YOU say and do not what others report.

October 12, 2009 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  16. Go Rush Go

Rush is Right! Cannot dispute the facts.

October 12, 2009 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  17. Phil

He is the media?

October 12, 2009 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  18. buckwheat

The media can't or won't break Charlie Rangle or any of the Fannie Mae and 'Freddie Mac engineers but considering they are all Democrats I would not bet on Limbaugh nor if I were Limbaugh I would sure not temp fate with such a remark. After all those email lines are still open to the "White Horse Souses".

October 12, 2009 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  19. Golem

The country needs Limbaugh almost as much as it needs Obama. Its critical that the public hear many sides of an issue and as off the wall as Limbaugh, Beck, Mathews, Olbermann and Maddoe are, they provide a service. On the other hand, Obama has the potential for greatness and Limbaugh will never be anything but a guy whose playing it for the bucks.

October 12, 2009 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  20. katiec

One of the reasons racial problems have become prominent is people like Limbaugh and Beck pushing the radical, racist card
    and the medial sensationalizing every word, thought uttered.
    There are too many misguided, unthinking people that take what
    these radicals take for truth.
    And, when you have the republicans apolotizing if anyone utters a
    word against radicals it certainly makes one wonder who is in
    control. If it is, in fact, the Limbaughs of the world, our country is
    doomed.

October 12, 2009 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  21. bzarr

Shoulda named him Richard

October 12, 2009 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  22. Peter Johnson

"Fifty-three percent of American voters voted for Barack Obama; 46% voted for John McCain, and 1% voted for wackos. Give that 1% to President Obama. Let's say the vote was 54% to 46%. As a way to bring the country together and at the same time determine the most effective way to deal with recessions, under the Obama-Limbaugh Stimulus Plan of 2009: 54% of the $900 billion - $486 billion - will be spent on infrastructure and pork as defined by Mr. Obama and the Democrats; 46% - $414 billion - will be directed toward tax cuts, as determined by me." –Rush Limbaugh, WSJ, Jan 29, 2009

But please don't let your own statements get in the way of a good story.

October 12, 2009 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  23. Neil

Love him or hate him he has better ratings than anyone on the planet.

October 12, 2009 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  24. Enough

Democrats are getting desperate, continually trying to smear anyone that doesn't share their socialistic agenda. Last check this was still a free country, unless the Democrats have rushed to change that.

October 12, 2009 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  25. smokey

We all know what the real deal is with you, and know that you are and represent the GOP as its leader..

October 12, 2009 10:16 am at 10:16 am |