October 12th, 2009

Limbaugh: 'The media didn't make me, and they can't break me'

Limbaugh told an interviewer the media couldn't 'break' him.
Limbaugh told an interviewer the media couldn't 'break' him.

(CNN) – Conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh is dismissing Democratic campaigns to paint him as the man steering the Republican Party, and media frenzies over his most controversial comments.

"The media didn't make me, and they can't break me," he said in a portion of an NBC interview that aired Monday.

"I am not the leader of the Republican Party. Don't want to be the leader of the Republican Party," said Limbaugh. "It's silly for them to keep talking about how I'm the leader of anything, it's just creating more curiosity about me. It's 21 years, more popular than ever. Lord, thank you for my enemies."

In interview excerpts released by the network, Limbaugh said he had been moved by the election of the nation's first black president - "but I got over it pretty quickly."

Obama's election has heightened racial discord, he said. "I predicted to you it was going to exacerbate racial problems, and it has," said Limbaugh. "There's a race industry in the country. They make money off it. They have fame and fortune off of it. And I predicted exactly what's happened.

"Any criticism of President Obama is going to be said to be oriented in racism. And if you don't like his health care bill, it's racist. If you don't like his cap and trade, it's racist."

Limbaugh also said grateful for the prescription drug addiction that forced him into treatment six years ago.

"I actually thank God for my addiction," he said. "I learned more about myself in rehab than I would have ever learned otherwise."

Follow Rebecca Sinderbrand on Twitter: @sinderbrandrcnn

Filed under: Extra • Popular Posts • Rush Limbaugh
  1. shinden

You should have never left rehab. You have a lot of work left to do.

October 12, 2009 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  2. Bob Moretz

The worst of the worst!

October 12, 2009 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  3. Phillip Bunn

The big, fat, racist, idiot is already broken. In my opinion, Rush Limbaugh is as detrimental to the American Society, and civil liberties, as Joe McCarthy ever dared to be. Prejudice will always flourish in the minds of evil men, but reasonable people have complete control of their own hearts and ears. If we can't shut him up, then tune him out.

October 12, 2009 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  4. Ted

The media didn't make Rush Limbaugh? What line of work does he think he's in, pig farming?

Well, maybe he's right...

October 12, 2009 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  5. Rdavis

Thank God for Rush Limbaugh!! I am a Conservative and proud of it!!

October 12, 2009 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  6. Belle1

Hmmm...as a Democrat, Rush seems right on this one, and I have not really listened to him.

At some point President Obama really has to move beyond blaming President Bush for everything. It gets old, and now is not believable.

President Obama spent the 2nd half of TARP...not Bush.
    President Obama signed the Omnibus bill, not Bush.
    President Obama signed the Stimulus bill, not Bush.
    President Obama wants single payer health care, not Bush.

Wish he's stop campaigning and start governing.

October 12, 2009 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  7. ghostwriter

No, it's not your criticism of the president that gets you label a racist. He acts like this all started last nov. It started well before that and became nation when Rush had those interesting comments about Donovan McNabb a few years ago that got him fired from ABC. SO when a racist such as Rush has criticisms of a black president, it rings a bit hollow. And when his followers parrot his comments, guess what?

October 12, 2009 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  8. David

What an idiot this man is. What idiots the people are who listen to this pompous and ignorant windbag.

October 12, 2009 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  9. mema

rus limpballs is a sleaze bag that has no credibility with sane, RATIONAL, thinking, God-fearing people. may the Lord have mercy on his soul

October 12, 2009 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  10. Big Ed

Take away his ham sandwich. That'll break him down!

October 12, 2009 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  11. Sean

He's the media...... he forgot he runs a talk show.... that's media, you like it or not...

October 12, 2009 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  12. Rob

Boy, Limbaugh hits the nail right on the head with the racism comment. Just look at how the Dems responded to the townhall meetings. Anytime anyone disagrees with Obama, the libs all say the only reason is because of race. No, it's because the guy's ruining America, the color of his skin has nothing to do with it.

October 12, 2009 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  13. Jim K.

The fact that he is more popular than ever is due to the fact that we have increasingly becoming a nation of idiots over the last 20 years. When "being a redneck" is celebrated as a good thing, as it is on CMT and country music radio, this is what happens. Americans are stupid. They elected Bush. Twice. I rest my case.

October 12, 2009 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  14. RG

This windbag needs to go to egorehab and get a real job. How a person can go trough life talking for a living is beyond me. The only people dumber than Rushbo is his listeners.

October 12, 2009 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  15. sandy

"I predicted to you it was going to exacerbate racial problems, and it has," said Limbaugh. "There's a race industry in the country. They make money off it. "

And Rush, you are part of that industry, making tons of money off of it.

October 12, 2009 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  16. Len Barry

Umm...you're part of the media pal. I think it is time you get used to that fact.

October 12, 2009 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  17. Ray

What is this Alternate Reality Limbaugh lives in, and can I live in it too?

October 12, 2009 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  18. wilson

Rush Limbaugh,
    Is the most racist, ignorant human being that I have ever known. And the Republican Party is following in his foots steps, they are a reactive party and not a proactive party which makes them extremely weak. He is right though, he is not the leader of that party, he can't lead anything. The only thing he is good at is exciting a riot and making racist statements that makes himself look really bad. If I were a republican I would hang my head in shame right now!!!

October 12, 2009 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  19. AmericanMade

More people need to open their EARS and closed minds to actually LISTEN to what RUSH is saying! He IS telling you the TRUTH! You all have had a diet of lies for so long, so fail to notice the difference. These are critical times people. We can UNITE for the FIGHT of our lives!

October 12, 2009 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  20. Jilli

Limbaughs nothing but an opportunist playing on the gullible and uneducated – I include "uneducated" because anyone with any intellect whatsoever has the capability to fact check and realize he's peddling a whole load of nonsense.

Limbaugh is not worth the electricity – soon enough his listeners will realize that he's out for profits and a big paychecks and that they've been duped for the almighty dollar. He's not helping or looking out for anyone but himself. The venom and ignorance that spews forth daily is pathetic – and those falling prey to his nonsense deserve to wallow in their vitriol as they seem to relish doing.

October 12, 2009 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  21. Juanita Winner

There is a crude bumper stilcker that succinctly states my feelings for mr. l. Flush rush. Juanita Winner

October 12, 2009 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  22. vicky from Milwaukee

Whoa..that's a whole lot of hot air coming through my computer. Somebody get the duck tape please. Is there no end to this idiot's ego?

October 12, 2009 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  23. JR

The man who wishes that Obama will fail. Well, President Obama is succeeding. The Dow will climb over 10,000 today.

October 12, 2009 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  24. bill

Rush IS the racist industry profiting from the election of Obama.

October 12, 2009 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  25. andrew

I love how people say "I told you it was going to happen," like what the said did actually happen. What is limpbug talking about?

What happened exactly like he said it would?
    Where is this race industry and who are THEY?
    Who is making money and getting famous off of it?

If this guy was so brave and so behind his own junk then why doesn't he stop speaking in riddles and just say exactly what he means. It's so bizarre. American politics is like playground fighting. This country is becoming a mockery because of people like Rush limpbug and Rachel madduck. Shame on them, but shame on us for allowing ourselves to be exploited in a much worse way than the Brits ever subjected us to.

October 12, 2009 10:23 am at 10:23 am |