October 12th, 2009

Limbaugh: 'The media didn't make me, and they can't break me'

Limbaugh told an interviewer the media couldn't 'break' him.
Limbaugh told an interviewer the media couldn't 'break' him.

(CNN) – Conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh is dismissing Democratic campaigns to paint him as the man steering the Republican Party, and media frenzies over his most controversial comments.

"The media didn't make me, and they can't break me," he said in a portion of an NBC interview that aired Monday.

"I am not the leader of the Republican Party. Don't want to be the leader of the Republican Party," said Limbaugh. "It's silly for them to keep talking about how I'm the leader of anything, it's just creating more curiosity about me. It's 21 years, more popular than ever. Lord, thank you for my enemies."

In interview excerpts released by the network, Limbaugh said he had been moved by the election of the nation's first black president - "but I got over it pretty quickly."

Obama's election has heightened racial discord, he said. "I predicted to you it was going to exacerbate racial problems, and it has," said Limbaugh. "There's a race industry in the country. They make money off it. They have fame and fortune off of it. And I predicted exactly what's happened.

"Any criticism of President Obama is going to be said to be oriented in racism. And if you don't like his health care bill, it's racist. If you don't like his cap and trade, it's racist."

Limbaugh also said grateful for the prescription drug addiction that forced him into treatment six years ago.

"I actually thank God for my addiction," he said. "I learned more about myself in rehab than I would have ever learned otherwise."

Follow Rebecca Sinderbrand on Twitter: @sinderbrandrcnn

Filed under: Extra • Popular Posts • Rush Limbaugh
  1. joe magarzatz

The media should either ignore him or introduce him as "the Wizard of Oxycontin" every time they talk to him.

October 12, 2009 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  2. ronnie

This man has no charector. He was and is a drug addict. His family life is in disorder. His listners mostly are people of his same kind and it would appear that it is the media who are making him great.
    He is a dog barking when the sun is rising.
    leave him alone and he will face his natural death..

ronnie

October 12, 2009 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  3. Chairman

He should just embrace his role as party leader. I suggest everyone start calling him Chairman Limbaugh. He and the fox news team are clearly driving the agenda of the republicon party.

See the next story in which fox actually ADMITS they are not news - they call it "opinion based journalisnm." Sort of like a chocolate and lard based health food diet.

October 12, 2009 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  4. mark in Atlanta

Rush IS media. And as so long as people want to listen to his brand of muck racking, so be it. But he shouldn't be suprised if people keep pointing out, correctly, that he is an instrument of the radical right in this country and that most of the things he insist are "true" just aren't. He soort of like a cult leader insisting that his folloers don't have anything to do with their family or friends. He needs to make sure people only get their info from him and believe everyone else is part of some grand conspiracy to get him (and them). He needs this because as soon as people get a look at the real world, they see him for the buffoon that he is.

October 12, 2009 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  5. Florida Dude

more reason to not want this guy anywhere near an NFL team

October 12, 2009 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  6. Jeff W.

I look forward to the day that I wake up and the headline is, "Vile Radio Host Dead from Heart Attack" What a disgusting individual. It saddens me that there are actually people who listen to this hateful, selfish man.

October 12, 2009 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  7. GWB2012

I'm no fan of Rush Limbaugh and I'm no fan of Keith Olbermann or the entire group of celebrity misfits in Hollywood. I am also no fan of David Scumbag Letterman or even Jon Stewart. Why? Because they are all biased – that includes MSNBC. For democrats – and the president – big shocker there – to hold Fox News to a double standard when they know well that MSNBC is the arm of the democratic party, is just being phony. I've watched all of the news channels and frankly, MSNBC is THE MOST BIASED of all. Nasty nasty slanted reporting. And when I saw Jon Stewart – who is supposed to be "funny" – picking on George Bush, Sr., I was amazed at how desperate he is to come up with material bashing any Republican he can. How sad. How terribly desperate and sad. I've seen Fox News give positive coverage to Obama many times, and I have NEVER seen CBS, NBC, or MSNBC give positive coverage to President Bush. PHONIES! The whole lot of you!

October 12, 2009 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  8. rick

Um you fail to point out the hundreds of other racially charged things you have said... you are a racists and everyone knows it! You have not served your country, you have not been elected to public office and you dont have the gonads to be any of them. Behind you mic your a scared little man who in the real world amounts to nothing!

October 12, 2009 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  9. Paul from Phoenix

Every time he gets brought up, it means the Dems have gone off message because their message isn't resonating. The GOP did it by calling into question the Dems patriotism.

October 12, 2009 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  10. SW,OHIO

I think people like this are lonely and sad in their own life. He needs help that only the professionals can give. He needs to take a long hard look at himself. People like this makes our country look really sad. So sorry for the rest of us Americans!

October 12, 2009 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  11. scott from michigan

For those who are fed up with the garbage that the likes of Limbaugh, Beck and the "loyal opposition" have been spewing out on the media channels regarding our President, a national call to boycott any and all media who care to host these political extremists. They may have the right to their opinion and the right to express it in the public forum, but we have the right not to listen. Only in the United States of America could a citizen publicly state "I want to see him fail" as Limbaugh stated about our President. In Iran, he would be imprisioned and tortured, which might do some good.

October 12, 2009 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  12. Galileo813

Projection made him, and it will break him.

October 12, 2009 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  13. Tim from Tampa

Rush & Beck in '12. Palin would make a GREAT Secretary of State. Just imagine the possibilities....

October 12, 2009 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  14. Mark

Like usual more comment that don't make sense. If the media didn't make him, why is he complaining in a public medium? He's as big of publicity slut as they come. Committing a Limbaugh is the same thing as pot, kettle, black.

October 12, 2009 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  15. Tina Evans

Rush for President!!!!

October 12, 2009 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  16. Rob in NC

You silly conservative, you are the media.

October 12, 2009 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  17. Son of Spock

Rush, you are a great patriot and a great man.

Just like in '94 the country will come around.

October 12, 2009 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  18. Tina Evans

Rush for President!!!!!!!

October 12, 2009 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  19. Pat

He thanks the Lord for his enemies, and he is his own WORST enemy!!!

October 12, 2009 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  20. Stacie

Rush is the king of do as I say not as I do. A multiple divorcee with a drug addiction problem preaching conservative "values". I find it humorous that some people take him seriously. I don't like his form of entertainment, but it is entertainment, not news!

October 12, 2009 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  21. Pat in IL

Uneducated, lying, narcissistic bully.....that's all he is, and I can't figure out why anybody listens to him. I had to turn off the Today show this morning because his bullying made my blood pressure go up.

October 12, 2009 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  22. eolufemi

Ugh, I seem to recall Michael Steele being forced to apologize to Rush for having an opinion.

Rush and Beck are clearly two of the most powerful Republicans in their party.

October 12, 2009 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  23. Kyle

uh....one question....Isn't Rush part of the Media?

October 12, 2009 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  24. Cathy Reid

Put a sock in the fat morons mouth and shut him up. He is a danger to this country.

October 12, 2009 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  25. Anna

You are the media, idiot!!

October 12, 2009 09:19 am at 9:19 am |