October 12th, 2009

Limbaugh: 'The media didn't make me, and they can't break me'

Limbaugh told an interviewer the media couldn't 'break' him.
Limbaugh told an interviewer the media couldn't 'break' him.

(CNN) – Conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh is dismissing Democratic campaigns to paint him as the man steering the Republican Party, and media frenzies over his most controversial comments.

"The media didn't make me, and they can't break me," he said in a portion of an NBC interview that aired Monday.

"I am not the leader of the Republican Party. Don't want to be the leader of the Republican Party," said Limbaugh. "It's silly for them to keep talking about how I'm the leader of anything, it's just creating more curiosity about me. It's 21 years, more popular than ever. Lord, thank you for my enemies."

In interview excerpts released by the network, Limbaugh said he had been moved by the election of the nation's first black president - "but I got over it pretty quickly."

Obama's election has heightened racial discord, he said. "I predicted to you it was going to exacerbate racial problems, and it has," said Limbaugh. "There's a race industry in the country. They make money off it. They have fame and fortune off of it. And I predicted exactly what's happened.

"Any criticism of President Obama is going to be said to be oriented in racism. And if you don't like his health care bill, it's racist. If you don't like his cap and trade, it's racist."

Limbaugh also said grateful for the prescription drug addiction that forced him into treatment six years ago.

"I actually thank God for my addiction," he said. "I learned more about myself in rehab than I would have ever learned otherwise."

Follow Rebecca Sinderbrand on Twitter: @sinderbrandrcnn

Filed under: Extra • Popular Posts • Rush Limbaugh
  1. Pete

Sounds like Linbaugh is doping again.

October 12, 2009 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  2. Mac

Everything the man says, every single thing, is designed to get him attention. Just keep that in mind when he talks about how he predicted this or that or how he's not at the mercy of the media. The alleged media attacks on him, the so-called accurate predictions, the attention grabbing "jokes" and sound bites from his show...its all about him.

October 12, 2009 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  3. fielding mellish

Why should we pay any attention at all to this self absorbed, wholly untruthful harbinger of non-influential right wing bleating.

October 12, 2009 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  4. k j

Rush Limbaugh, and some of his listeners/followers, thrive off hate. He makes a living off hate, I am surprised FOX News has not hired him.

October 12, 2009 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  5. Loup Garou 782

Hang in there Rush, those freaking Democrat media goons don't have a brain among them. If they did they would never be sucking up to the likes of an obama.

October 12, 2009 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  6. Marilyn, Powell Ohio

Then why is it that almost every Republican is afraid to say anything negative about this man? If they do, the next day they apologize. He is the epitome of what is wrong and fueling hate in the United States. All for his love of money. He has many addictions. I would say he is a very unhappy man.

October 12, 2009 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  7. Open Your 3rd Eye

Dear Rush:

What is racist are some of your looney tunes listeners to whom you provide the ammo for their spewing, and the armor for their cover. They do or say one thing that is blatantly racist, and then have the nerve to say they are not racist? We must be slow to you or something, is that it? All of your self loving and self loathing is nothing more than clothing on a self-conscious, confused, scared little man with one too many conspiracy theories rolling around in your tiny little head. Come back to Earth Rush! You have been consumed by non-sense.

Sincerely,
    Dr. No

October 12, 2009 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  8. bobbby

what a pile of dung this man is!

October 12, 2009 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  9. yuri

RL ain't no leader by any stretch of imagination. He is a portly, obese, and obnoxious creature, w/ a loud mouth and verbal diarrhea, and he bein' nominated for IgNoble prize for diatribes, tirades, vituperations, venoms, vitriols, and castigations of his opponents. We have one word for this buxom bozo-shut the devil up!

October 12, 2009 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  10. Ben in Texas

Rush is the leader of the Grand Oxycontin Party. You'd have to be on drugs to spew the insanity that he does, or to believe it.

October 12, 2009 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  11. Shecky

The Left is frightented of Limbaugh.
    He is an icon.
    And he speaks the truth!

October 12, 2009 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  12. Keven Bennett

"There's a race industry in the country. They make money off it. They have fame and fortune off of it."

Nice to hear you admit it, Rush!

October 12, 2009 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  13. florida indep

Nothing wrong with Rush. He is entitled to his opinions about things, which doesn't make him right and the left wrong or visa-versa. He does all this to make his paycheck. A certain percentage of people will always be attracted to his side of things as others will be attracted to the polar opposite side of things. For some people I know, they live by every word Rush and other pundits like him spew. For me and others like me, we think he/they are wrong and just mean, hatefilled, pathetic little people with nothing to offer this country or humanity in general.

October 12, 2009 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  14. A. Goodwin

Anyone who listens to Limbaugh and BELIEVES a WORD he says, needs to get their head's examined. This man is about as un-American as you can get! Anyone who is so UN-patriotic to be happy we are not getting the Olympics...someone who calls judge Sotomayer racist...someone who is so blatently racist himself – this man is evil. Pur evil. He is a liar, a cheat, a hypocrite. He has made a lot of money off extremely stupid right-wing neocon rethuglican's. I have no respect for this man in the slightest.

October 12, 2009 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  15. JILL

He still thinks he's God.

October 12, 2009 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  16. LG - the G is for Gonzalez

Talk about reading your own press releases! History will only repeat itself when Limbaugh falls from his self-imposed lofty perch. One can only imagine what he sees in the mirror. And more than likely it's a funhouse mirror.

October 12, 2009 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  17. ghandigee

Rush is part of the media. He would be unknown if it were not for the media. It seems complaining about the media is a form of doublespeak which Rush does so well.First and foremost Rush is an entertainer who gets compensated very well for keeping an audience tuned. Second, Rush is a business. A check of his website will reveal a plethora of items that are being hawked as well as membership to his enterprise. The danger is when an entertainer gets taken seriously and holds political sway.He may not run the Republican Party but he knows full well that he holds influence over the conservative faction. A DJ who became a talk jock should not be taken at face value.

October 12, 2009 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  18. Joel Brown

Well I think Rush is dead on on this one. Perfect. But I am BAFFLED HERE.

I don't understand why CNN isn't skewing this somehow???

What is HAPPENING HERE? Where is the penchant for repetitively showing ANYONE who waxes conservatively in bad light – least of all El Rushbo. Where is the CNN standard for re-running the personal life mistakes of conservatives and Republicans over and over again ad infinitum???

Its ALMOST like CNN went all "fair and balanced" on this one. Holy crap. Unbelieveable.

Thank you for just reporting for once.

October 12, 2009 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  19. utah scott

Wow he sounds a little worried. Keep it up and hopefully the king of hate will fall.

October 12, 2009 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  20. Kyle

Next gig, a minister.

October 12, 2009 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  21. Andy

The country would be better off if you disappeared in rehab again Rush. Blech.

October 12, 2009 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  22. Mr. Davidson

About the only thing I can agree with El Rushbo about.

October 12, 2009 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  23. Peter - Atlanta

Turn the volume down.

October 12, 2009 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  24. Justin

So the the 700 pound GORILLA called Rush, the LEADER of the Republican party has an conscience, I feel no remorse for a guy who spreads hate, and bigotry. Oh and the sad part about this guy is that he has 20 million followers. GOD Bless America!

October 12, 2009 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  25. CAL

how dare this evil man even speak the Lord's name? He is so evil I for one cannot stand to even look at him. What's the matter fat boy rush? Why are you now claiming you are not the leader of the those idiot republicians? Do you think by saying this your big fat greasy behind can own a NFL team? I hope nobody gives you the time of day in that venture. You are the most obnoxious and evil person on the planet and I for one cannot stand you simple because you spread hate.

October 12, 2009 09:40 am at 9:40 am |