October 12th, 2009

Limbaugh: 'The media didn't make me, and they can't break me'

Limbaugh told an interviewer the media couldn't 'break' him.
Limbaugh told an interviewer the media couldn't 'break' him.

(CNN) – Conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh is dismissing Democratic campaigns to paint him as the man steering the Republican Party, and media frenzies over his most controversial comments.

"The media didn't make me, and they can't break me," he said in a portion of an NBC interview that aired Monday.

"I am not the leader of the Republican Party. Don't want to be the leader of the Republican Party," said Limbaugh. "It's silly for them to keep talking about how I'm the leader of anything, it's just creating more curiosity about me. It's 21 years, more popular than ever. Lord, thank you for my enemies."

In interview excerpts released by the network, Limbaugh said he had been moved by the election of the nation's first black president - "but I got over it pretty quickly."

"Any criticism of President Obama is going to be said to be oriented in racism. And if you don't like his health care bill, it's racist. If you don't like his cap and trade, it's racist."

Limbaugh also said grateful for the prescription drug addiction that forced him into treatment six years ago.

"I actually thank God for my addiction," he said. "I learned more about myself in rehab than I would have ever learned otherwise."

Follow Rebecca Sinderbrand on Twitter: @sinderbrandrcnn

Filed under: Extra • Popular Posts • Rush Limbaugh
  1. Tony in Maine

This is a man who peddles ignorance and hate for money – that is not immoral, it is amoral.

October 12, 2009 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  2. Dave

Rush is an entertainer! Every word proceeding out of his mouth is not policy for the Republicans. Most of them secretly wish he would go away, I am sure, since he diverts attention away from themselves.
    Since almost no one in the US has a sense of humor anymore, no one takes his utterings as homor/entertainment. After years of having to listen to the self-righteous pronunciations of the liberal media, I have found Rush, and Fox news to be a refreshing diversion from the liberal line. No liberal can address the Rush issue for more than a moment without sputtering in indignation.
    I hope he can buy the St. Louis Rams. Then we'll get to see what kind of a football team you can field on the minimum wage!

October 12, 2009 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  3. cynthia

"Any criticism of Obama is going to be considered racist"

Is this fat head racist serious? Yes it's racist simply because of the things you and people like hannity, oreilly and beck are saying about him. You morons saw nothing wrong with all the pictures and posters painting the President as hitler or the joker, you saw nothing wrong with articles with the President and First lady as terriost. Come on you idiot nobody is buying your act. First of all fat boy you need to learn more about the Lord before you start throwing His name around, the Lord does not lead us into something as sinful as addiction, that would be the devil which you are quite famaliar wilth. What a joke you are.

October 12, 2009 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  4. Linda from Minnesota

He's insane, what more needs to be said? What is more insane are the people who actually believe what he says – his beloved "dittoheads".

October 12, 2009 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  5. gabriel

God Bless Rush Limbaugh!

October 12, 2009 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  6. We Won Get Over It

I don't see any media trying to BREAK him. They report his spewings as if he was some kind of god....if they would just shut up and give him the silent treatment then only the goof balls that listen to him would know what lies and distortions he is telling.

October 12, 2009 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  7. Randy, San Francisco

Rush Limbaugh is the most influential and successful political talk show entertainer to profit from a gullible and unsophisticated audience. He has never taken responsibility for his hateful propoganda with the excuse that he is only a media entertainer and not a news journalist.

October 12, 2009 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  8. demwit

No but we can sure use you to promote our progressive agenda!!

October 12, 2009 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  9. alan in marietta, ga

The media did create this guy. Magazine covers. His outrageous quotes of the week.

October 12, 2009 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  10. Tony Rosario

What a dweeb.

October 12, 2009 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  11. Michael

Rush is wrong and always has been...On just about everything he has ever said. I cannot believe anyone still listens to him.

October 12, 2009 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  12. Grady

Dear Rush,
    I predict that someday, hopefully sooner then later, you will not matter. Your legacy will be that of a frivilous, opinionated blowhard who soiled the airwaves with your balderdash.

October 12, 2009 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  13. Fools and their freedoms are soon parted

BTW why isn't the mainsteam media covering that when a journalist asked Al Gore to comment on 10 mistakes scientists found in his Inconvenient Truth that instead of answering the question, Gore just had the microphone turned off....shut down...you think that this would be a story for the media to cover....any takers?

October 12, 2009 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  14. James M. Holmes

"Obama's election has heightened racial discord, he said. "I predicted to you it was going to exacerbate racial problems, and it has," said Limbaugh. "There's a race industry in the country. They make money off it. They have fame and fortune off of it. And I predicted exactly what's happened." – Rush Limbaugh

Ummm... that's because YOU are a racist and you have fanned the flames yourself Rush!!!... and your brain dead followers believe anything that comes out of your mouth... Mr Limbaugh = GOP's Boss Hogg!!!

October 12, 2009 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  15. Scott

Rush Limbaugh is a actor that I usually do not listen to, but if this guy is against this gay movenment in Washington that is trying to ruin our country, than I'm all for him speaking out and being against it!! I will support him to speak against this unatural thing. People are not born gay, they learn it from society. It is a mental disorder just like depression, anxiety, bipolar. I believe the president is making a huge mistake on supporting this issue and I hope Rush speaks out against such a thing!!!

October 12, 2009 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  16. William

The media most assuredly DID make you, Mr. Limbaugh and telling yet another one of your lies isn't going to change this fact. But, of course, you are correct that you aren't the leader of the Republican Party, but only one of the mouthpieces of its propaganda machine. Your job is to take the talking points memo and present it is a way that rouses the woefully ignorant. You are a manipulator and little more. You make a fortune while nothing ever gets better for the poor souls who hand on your every word. Quite to the contrary, things are much worse for them for having listened to you. How do you sleep at night?

October 12, 2009 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  17. Sam Sixpack

As the final push for the Great Health Care Scam begins, detractors such as Limbaugh and FOX must be silenced.

Soon poor people everywhere will be required to give all they can "afford" to insurance executives.

Then, when these same poor folks need health care they will be denied because they can not afford to pay their deductibles.

You can fool some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but you only need to fool enough of the people enough of the time.

October 12, 2009 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  18. Joel

This poor imitation of an entertainer dares to preach about there being "a race industry in this country"? Yeah, it's called The Rush Limbaugh Show sponsored by Fox News.
    Now he's concerned because even the Republicans are starting to back away from his vile rhetoric. Shame on NBC (both Today & Leno) for giving this hate monger any public platform from which to spew his lies and hate. I guess ratings are more important than honor.

October 12, 2009 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  19. D.

It is really funny how radio talk show hosts and fox news are accused of partisanship (even by the WH itself) without recognition of other media serving this WH as a political arm and even the Nobel peace prize committee serving as a branch of the DNC.
    Life is not always fair and various establishments have their biases. I am fearful our current president only likes to be beloved by everyone and cannot have some opponents in the media (the accusation that the Republicans are the party of "no" is silly: they are the opposition, and when they do not like what is done by the ruling party they HAVE TO say no!). We are losing the patience of listening to opposing views without wanting to destroy them (we can certainly laugh at them etc. !!!)

October 12, 2009 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  20. Alan

Yeah, Rush. The media has nothing to do with your success. And you NEVER lie.

It's funny how you say the media has nothing to do with your success then, in the same breath, thank God for your enemies, who apparently are the "evil" media who did nothing to help your success.

Fess up. This isn't your low-IQ mindwashed listeners you're talking to here. It's the REST of the world. The other 298 MILLION people in this country alone who do NOT listen to your blathering diatribes daily, marching like robots to your beck and call. Being a past publicist, you know exactly what you're doing. You know controversy sells and you create it at every opportunity - intentionally. To GET PRESS.

This is just one more of your many daily lies the vast majority of the thinking world ain't buying.

October 12, 2009 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  21. Herk

Rush, the media will not break you, you will.

October 12, 2009 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  22. Deborah/Kansas City

The Media may not ruin you, but you could sure ruin the NFL. The growing fan base of the NFL is women. Like all the women in my family, who buy each other birthday, christmas, anniversary gifts of their favorite teams products. We have flags, tea shirts, sweat shirts, pajamas, blankets, clocks, watches, earrings, shoes, gloves, scarfs, and on and on.

If the NFL allows you to buy any part of a team, we will all stop buying any NFL products. I live in MIssouri, as you can see, but I would never again support the Rams. I am a die hard Patriots fan, my daughter loves the Broncos, my mom and my other daughter are Colts fans; but we still support the Missouri teams. We have all agreed that the NFL would greatly diminish itself and we would all be far less supportive; giving up our direct TV Sunday Ticket would be a certain thing; if they allow you to own any part of a team.

October 12, 2009 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  23. obama 4 life

Just be clear limbaugh everyone knows that u hate our nation president

October 12, 2009 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  24. hockey dad

Oh,.. the media didn't make you???....Turn off the mike for a year, and see how fast you'll slip into oblivion,.. totally irrelevant and quickly forgotten.

October 12, 2009 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  25. Walter Kokernot

I teach at a college that tolerates conservatives. Every single one of my conservative friends–these professors are as conservative as Limbaugh–regard him as an embarrassment. Why? Because (as they say) his arguments are almost always flawed by logical fallacies and because they almost always exhibit a lack of education. I simply find him boring.

October 12, 2009 09:53 am at 9:53 am |