October 12th, 2009

Limbaugh: 'The media didn't make me, and they can't break me'

Limbaugh told an interviewer the media couldn't 'break' him.
Limbaugh told an interviewer the media couldn't 'break' him.

(CNN) – Conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh is dismissing Democratic campaigns to paint him as the man steering the Republican Party, and media frenzies over his most controversial comments.

"The media didn't make me, and they can't break me," he said in a portion of an NBC interview that aired Monday.

"I am not the leader of the Republican Party. Don't want to be the leader of the Republican Party," said Limbaugh. "It's silly for them to keep talking about how I'm the leader of anything, it's just creating more curiosity about me. It's 21 years, more popular than ever. Lord, thank you for my enemies."

In interview excerpts released by the network, Limbaugh said he had been moved by the election of the nation's first black president - "but I got over it pretty quickly."

Obama's election has heightened racial discord, he said. "I predicted to you it was going to exacerbate racial problems, and it has," said Limbaugh. "There's a race industry in the country. They make money off it. They have fame and fortune off of it. And I predicted exactly what's happened.

"Any criticism of President Obama is going to be said to be oriented in racism. And if you don't like his health care bill, it's racist. If you don't like his cap and trade, it's racist."

Limbaugh also said grateful for the prescription drug addiction that forced him into treatment six years ago.

"I actually thank God for my addiction," he said. "I learned more about myself in rehab than I would have ever learned otherwise."

Follow Rebecca Sinderbrand on Twitter: @sinderbrandrcnn

Filed under: Extra • Popular Posts • Rush Limbaugh
  1. david

Limbo describes his job description pretty well when he says:

The imperial wizard of the white wing is an absolute racist and proves it time and again with statements like this:

"You know who deserves a posthumous Medal of Honor? James Earl Ray [the confessed assassin of Martin Luther King]. We miss you, James. Godspeed."

He is still popular because he speaks for other rural Americans like himself/ They are a paranoid bunch that are easily led by caricatures and stereotypes. It is obvious what these white wing goons are hoping to incite with their hate speech and ignorance. Let's hope he fails.

October 12, 2009 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  2. star

What an idiot...his ego is so big he can't see it. Hey Rush..the DNC/Dems/Media don't care about you..the DNC would like to make you out as the head because already the Republicans would have lost 65% of the votes...the Media loves you because you say the dumbest things and Republicans have to bow down to you or be rebuked...In other words..you may be popular but the Republican party is not..what an idiot..can't even see this

October 12, 2009 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  3. Mark

I think dear old Rush is finally losing it.
    I use to think he made some sense but, now he's just a bore.

October 12, 2009 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  4. Ray

Unfortunately, the only thing that will break him will be when his 'fans' finally wake up and recognize what a horrific bag of wind he really is. Once his fan base is gone, he will be even more irrelevent than he is today.

October 12, 2009 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  5. Ike

I don't blame Rush anymore for the things his says or does. I blame the mindless and empty public that supports him. this man admitted it's all about the monry and ratings. Therefore if a person motivated by money and ratings then they will do what it takes to maintain that position. So therefore he will say whatever...which means he may not even believe what he says!!!

October 12, 2009 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  6. walleye

Rush is nothing more than an entertainer like Jerry Lewis or Chevy Chase. When the cattle that follow him realize this they will see what a joke he really is. Even the players of a sports team realize what a joke he is and refuse to play for him.

October 12, 2009 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  7. Annabelle Rutherford

He is a bigot (A NARROW MINDED PREJUDICED PERSON) and the media DID make him by providing all the coverage which he receives. If he is allowed to purchase a pro football team, the players should boycott the team. ENOUGH OF LIMBAUGH! He's also a pathological LIAR!

October 12, 2009 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  8. Bob-Texas

Whatever this man says I treat as an insult to the United States. As long as the GOP has this kind of media I will never vote for them. I do not want my America represented by people who support or agree with this radical nut.

October 12, 2009 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  9. Lois

You are right, the media did not make you. Ignorant, hateful like-minded people made you. A pox on civil society and intelligent debate.

October 12, 2009 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  10. Ditto! Ditto! Ditto!

"The media didn't make me, and they can't break me,"
    You ARE the media, numbskull.

"There's a race industry in the country. They make money off it. They have fame and fortune off of it. "
    Correct, and their largest customers are the new conservatives.

Another conservative exercise in simplistic emotional reductionism. Liberals don't believe any opposition to Obama is racist, but we beleive the cries of "kill him", the monkey jokes, the watermelon pictures, the "black man in the white house" emails being circulated by our conservative "friends", THOSE are racist.

October 12, 2009 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  11. Accountability

The sane and patriotic majority of this country needs to ignore Limbaugh....he's just a bully who makes millions on stuff even he doesn't believe.

Let Limbaugh lead his small percentage of the American Public, hard waired to hate and find scapegoats for their own miserable lives...

October 12, 2009 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  12. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

what a jerk... typical GOP

October 12, 2009 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  13. Mr. Moderate

Poor Rush, always the victim as he laughs all the way to the bank...

October 12, 2009 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  14. unshrub

The poor man, trying to make it seem like the big bad ol' media is against him so his uniformed followers think he is working so hard to keep them informed of the truth. What these poor ignorant people fail to understand is that Rush and FOX are the media, and they are being misled by him and Fox. This is just an act to make millions of dollars from these poor ignorant people.

October 12, 2009 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  15. Margaret

Have to agree with him. Like Palin, the media are obsessed with this man, making him wealthier and more popular than ever.

Thank you, Rush, for waking America up to the way Washington works.

And to the libs: Dare you to listen to him for one week and tell me you didn't learn A LOT.

October 12, 2009 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  16. GOP = "I hope he fails"

Rush says: "thank you for my enemies." I agree! Rush benefits from his enemies. At the same time his enemies benefits from HIM, that why they continue to focus on him

So....who are the loosers in all this? The moderates in the Republican party who's party is increasingly viewed as looney and radical because of big mouths like Lipoff.

October 12, 2009 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  17. Dixon

During an interview recently he said he is in this for the money. He has done everything in his power to make a mess out of this country. Like many who listen and support this freak he puts his needs ahead of all. If he isn't the leader of the Republican party he should be. He represents all that is bad about that party and this country. Hey Rush, go back to rehab I don't think the first trip worker.

October 12, 2009 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  18. Tom

Of course 'the media made him'!?! What is he without the media?!?

And, he's glad he's an addict? LOL!! Whatever!

He'll get what's coming to him – we reap what we sow!

He's a hateful turd!

October 12, 2009 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  19. Wayne

HOW could any idiot refer to him as a conservative???

October 12, 2009 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  20. Just Breathe

Last I checked, he was part of the media??? And yes, media DID make him. By his own account, he is more popular now that in the last 20+ years because of the media.

I don't understand. This blow-hard is an entertainer. He has no credibility as anything other than an entertainer. No education, no job experience, never worked in politics, he hasn't done anything to assist people in making their lives better, he has never solved any problems or issues, all he does is complain and stir up controversary. RL is a wealthy white man with a good job making 100's of millions of dollars being a loud-mouth and there is nothing about him I can relate to.

October 12, 2009 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  21. Kansan

Limbaugh is an moronic errogant man that has no business being on air filling the gullible minds with mis-information & hate.

October 12, 2009 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  22. redloves2sing

The only thing that has exacerbated racial problems are people like this disgusting man. Calling the president a "halfrican American" certainly doesn't put a foot forward towards solving the problems.

October 12, 2009 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  23. Jim

i agree with him ... the media can't break hiim.

he's already broken and has been broken for as long as I can remember. he just doesn't realize it. the poor souls who actually think he's a sentient being are, unfortunately, also broken.

don't get me wrong, political dissent is a great and required thing to keep those in power at least somewhat honest. but there comes a point when rediculousness is just plain stupid.

October 12, 2009 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  24. Mary Molina

This is the Father Coughlin of our time...only Father Couglin was intelligent...this man feeds off ignorence and hate and spews ignorence and hate. If our President is cut down...this man is the reason.

October 12, 2009 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  25. Kay Orr

America's #1 enemy.
    The National Enquirer of Radio and TV news.

October 12, 2009 10:03 am at 10:03 am |