October 12th, 2009

Limbaugh: 'The media didn't make me, and they can't break me'

Limbaugh told an interviewer the media couldn't 'break' him.
Limbaugh told an interviewer the media couldn't 'break' him.

(CNN) – Conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh is dismissing Democratic campaigns to paint him as the man steering the Republican Party, and media frenzies over his most controversial comments.

"The media didn't make me, and they can't break me," he said in a portion of an NBC interview that aired Monday.

"I am not the leader of the Republican Party. Don't want to be the leader of the Republican Party," said Limbaugh. "It's silly for them to keep talking about how I'm the leader of anything, it's just creating more curiosity about me. It's 21 years, more popular than ever. Lord, thank you for my enemies."

In interview excerpts released by the network, Limbaugh said he had been moved by the election of the nation's first black president - "but I got over it pretty quickly."

Obama's election has heightened racial discord, he said. "I predicted to you it was going to exacerbate racial problems, and it has," said Limbaugh. "There's a race industry in the country. They make money off it. They have fame and fortune off of it. And I predicted exactly what's happened.

"Any criticism of President Obama is going to be said to be oriented in racism. And if you don't like his health care bill, it's racist. If you don't like his cap and trade, it's racist."

Limbaugh also said grateful for the prescription drug addiction that forced him into treatment six years ago.

"I actually thank God for my addiction," he said. "I learned more about myself in rehab than I would have ever learned otherwise."

Follow Rebecca Sinderbrand on Twitter: @sinderbrandrcnn

Filed under: Extra • Popular Posts • Rush Limbaugh
  1. Andy

So lets just ignore him. He is a hate-mongering blowhard and is only relevant when he is given attention. Lets move on to constructive and well considered debate about how to solve our problems rather than fall into Limbaugh's and Beck's idiocacy.

October 12, 2009 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  2. R in Maine

Yes, you are a traitor to your country, beyond the reach of ethics, dignity, or shame. No surprise that you think that you are immune to law and opinion.

October 12, 2009 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  3. scott in atlanta

I'm not a fan of Limbaugh, but don't be confused. He is not a stupid man. As a matter of fact, he's pretty intelligent. That being said, his ego will be a liberal's best friend in the upcoming election cycle. While his rhetoric excites the base of the extreme right, it marginalizes the remainder of the party.

It's also a great asset to the Democrats that this man CAN NOT be humble on air. So "as pride goeth before destruction, and hautiness before a fall..." Whatever we can do to keep Limbaugh the face of the Republican party, the better our chances as Democrats to prevail in 2010.

They are also between a rock and a hard place in that they now, cannot reel him in for fear of being viewed as "eating their own..." The double edge sword is materializing before our eyes.

Obama2012/ Democratic Congress 2010

October 12, 2009 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  4. irakwarno4americans

what a clown !!! only a racist Republican could be this stupid !

October 12, 2009 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  5. Puddin'

I'm finding there are a lot of "Rush Limbaughs" in the Republican party, and most of them are very mean spirited jush like Rush. Duct tape over their mouths is always good at times.

October 12, 2009 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  6. Redneck John

Here is the American icon of hatred and intolerance. Hey Rush....here are a couple words you can understand, "Oink Oink". And the world is still flat to your followers. I'm one "redneck" who doesn't drink your kool-aid.

October 12, 2009 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  7. Xman

"The Media didnt make me, and they cant break me"
    Wanna Bet!!??....

October 12, 2009 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  8. Steve O'Leary

Rush Limbaugh has his following, what are they called, "ditto heads"?

When Rush speaks, people listen. Although I find his extreme negativism does not contribute any positive aspects, his constant derailing of the "Liberal mainstream" media has its supporters.

I suppose if you can't contrubute somehting positively, it is pretty safe to decry those who try. Most efforts for change do fail, and you will likely be right most of the time.

October 12, 2009 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  9. mk

Does he think the "Lord" listens to a bigot??? HA

October 12, 2009 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  10. Judith in Rural NY

I can't imagine who he thinks DID make him. To paraphrase an old adage: You live by the media; you die by the media.

October 12, 2009 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  11. mk

Does he think the "Lord" listens to a bigot??? He is crazy.

October 12, 2009 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  12. John Sivills

I guess Limbaugh would know about the 'racial industry' in this country given he is one of its barons.

October 12, 2009 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  13. Walter

As a republican and as an American, I am ashamed of Rush Limbaugh. He is a pompous blowhard who does more damage than good each time he opens his mouth. And how much of his rant is drug-induced? Typical of every idiot like this, the media pays entirely too much attention to him.

October 12, 2009 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  14. Kyle

You're part of the media, you unbelievable buffoon

October 12, 2009 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  15. Nick

Just ignore him.... in time he'll fly out the window.

October 12, 2009 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  16. Web Thomas

What an arrogant idiot!!!

October 12, 2009 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  17. ATL Guy

It's amazing that people find this type of bluster informative. People like Limbaugh are corrosive to the Republic and contribute nothing positive to the political environment.

October 12, 2009 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  18. Tom in Delaware

Like all their great strategies against the Conservatives this year, they've boomeranged.

Limbaugh, Micheal Steele, Sarah Palin, Glenn Beck, FOX News, Joe Wilson and the Tea Party movement...all richer than ever and getting more powerful...thank you, you nimrods.

October 12, 2009 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  19. Lia, denver

I don't understand why media grant so much attention to this insane individual. Are they out of subjects? Why bother to make him famous? Just leave him to his radio cubicle and to the 100 lunatics who believe his non-sense. Why dive into mud with him?

October 12, 2009 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  20. maximus (NY)

This guy needs spiritual attention to rid him of the demoniac spirit that is profaning his personality. He's an alien in this generation; a reincarnated from the1800's that cameback to continue enjoying the torture of slaves, but he becomes deceived and furious to see that the world has changed. His best option, though, is to drop dead back.

October 12, 2009 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  21. Angus McDugan

The Dems can't stand it that the Repubs have not declared a leader. The Dems need a focal point to attack and slander. And by not picking a true leader, the Dem's strategy does not work. The Dems must attack to win. The Dems are very good at destroying a person, and without a target they try to create one. Good luck with that Dems. The RNC has figured you out.

October 12, 2009 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  22. Frank

"...and I'll just keep on makin up hateful lies as long as there are people dumb enough to believe 'em..."

October 12, 2009 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  23. mjh

Like him or not, he is right about opposition to Obama's policy: people are charged as being a racist if you disagree with his plans.

October 12, 2009 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  24. K

LOL! He IS the media!

What a waste of a human being this guy is.

October 12, 2009 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  25. joe

Does he realize as a talk-show host, he is part of the media? Dumb fat drug addict, I wish he'd go away forever.

October 12, 2009 10:09 am at 10:09 am |