October 14th, 2009

Cafferty: More faith in gov’t or big business?

Join the conversation on Jack's blog.
Join the conversation on Jack's blog.

Americans are mad as hell… and they're keeping both big business and government in the crosshairs. The Wall Street Journal reports that historically the public focuses its anger on either one institution or the other — but not this time.

On the one hand, people are frustrated with the Wall Street failures that led to this financial mess; and they’re outraged at ongoing situations like bonus payouts at AIG. But Americans also see too much involvement by Congress and the federal government — accusing the administration of "socialism" and a "takeover" of the economy.

What's interesting here is some don't see government and business as opposing forces, rather they see "a unified elite pursuing one big swindle." For example — the government using hundreds of billions of dollars of taxpayers' money to bail out banks and automakers.

To read more and contribute to the Cafferty File discussion, click here

Filed under: Cafferty File
  1. Jay T.

It doesn't make any sense (other than brainwashing). With the government, since we live in a democracy, we can protest and not vote for people and write our legislators, etc. With big business, who do you go to? You try to protest them, you get thrown in jail. Try to contact them and you get a computer voice or twenty-year-old making ten dollars an hour who can't answer your questions or point you in the right direction.

October 14, 2009 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  2. bruno

Well said Jack. I don't often agree with you, but I think I have found a common thread. Government alone can't provide for our prosperity, and the tactics of the Harvard businessman all too often fail us common folk. Imagine a country where the government makes bankruptcy law and the businessmen use it to get huge bonuses on exit. Break the workers back, give him less, steal from your creditors, and get money get paid. All with the help of the federal government and federal judges.

October 14, 2009 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  3. PREDICTA

Big Business. Government has proven time and again that they can't run anything effectively (i.e. medicare/medicaid, going broke; social security, going broke; post office, always losing money). There will be no job creation until someone implements tax cuts for companies to expand.

October 14, 2009 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  4. Why O Why

Everything the Government runs is BROKE.

Takeover you say : Banks,GM,and now Healthcare.

Do you want Government to be your keeper..

October 14, 2009 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  5. single mom

Faith? Faith in what? To swindle more money out of hard-working Americans through poor-quality goods and taxes?
    Yeah, in that case, I'd say I have faith in big business and the government (all levels).

I find it interesting that Cafferty writes aobut how Americans see the socialist agenda of the Administration, but doesn't seem to want to address it. But then, none of the mainstream media want to call it what it is.

October 14, 2009 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  6. Mark from Louisiana

Government and big business are tied at the hip, it doesn't matter if it's CEO's retiring with multi million dollars bonuses or politicians using our tax money foolishly, they are all crooks.
    I would trust a business man more than a politician even though it's real easy to tell if a politician is lying. If his/her lips are moving they are lying.

You would think with all this "hope and change" hype that things were going to get better but boy that hasn't worked out too good has it? With all the back door white house deals and the paybacks to the unions this administration will go down as the most corrupt in history.

October 14, 2009 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  7. Rob in Detroit Mi.

I have moer faith in the GOV plain & simple Big Business is only concerned about profits thats it if Business can make a buck off someone dying they would.

October 14, 2009 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  8. Randolph Carter, the evil Obamabot

"What's interesting here is some don't see government and business as opposing forces, rather they see "a unified elite pursuing one big swindle."

What??? People are just realizing this now? Man, we Americans are a bit slow on the uptake. Have a nice day!

October 14, 2009 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  9. Steph

I don't trust big business at all. I do trust government to regulate big business to create rules that protect us against corporate greed. The problem is when big business is padding the pockets of the politicians who are should be protecting us. Right now, I would like some clear, tough regulations on for-profit insurance companies and a not-for-profit option. I don't care if that's is a co-op or a public (government) plan.

Basically, I want competition and regulation more than anything else.

October 14, 2009 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  10. Grrr-awful-o

More faith in big business than in government most definitely. A "big business" has employed me for years and has never missed a paycheck. They have rewarded me when I've done well and given me challenging things to work on. Big government, on the other hand, has never missed taking money from me. It asks for more money all the time and then spends it on other people (that I don't even like!). And every day another politicians is exposed for corruption. In big business they would be walked out the door immediately. In big government they just make up a story and stay in their job (William Jefferson for example). This is not a hard question for an honest, hard working person to answer. Sadly, it appears hard for a lot of people, however.

October 14, 2009 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  11. Mississippi Miss

You just won't admit the Americans are mad at THIS Administration.
    There is such a unified outrage against all tax-and-spenders.

We understand the difference between big business and big government. Big business at least minds their own business.

This government is knee deep up to our eyeballs in my business.

I vow to keep my old light bulbs, drink sugary drinks. If I could find
    one, I would go out and buy a clunker too, just because I can.

Leave us the heck alone... BIG G.

October 14, 2009 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |