October 15th, 2009

Meghan McCain runs into backlash over photograph

Meghan McCain says she's ready to quit twitter after a photograph she posted caused a wave of criticism

(CNN) Meghan McCain says she's ready to quit Twitter all together after generating a wave of criticism from users of the popular social networking site Wednesday night for posting a picture of herself in a tank top that left little to the twitterverse's imagination.

The controversy began quietly enough when McCain, the vocal daughter of the former Republican presidential candidate, tweeted that her self described "spontaneous" night in included reading a biography of the iconic artist Andy Warhol and ordering takeout.

It was there the 24-year old McCain posted the photo of herself wearing a tank top that generated the subsequent controversy .

The photograph apparently generated a string of negative responses, leading McCain to weigh in 15 minutes later: "so I took a fun picture not thinking anything about what I was wearing but apparently anything other than a pantsuit and I am a slut."

"This is why I have been considering deleting my twitter account," McCain, with close to 60,000 followers, continued in another tweet, "what once was fun now just seems like a vessel for harassment."

Fifteen minutes later, McCain weighed in again, tweeting, "When I am alone in my apartment, I wear tank tops and sweat pants, I had no idea this makes me a slut", I can't even tell you how hurt I am."

An hour later, the prolific tweeter said her decision was nearly made: "ok I am getting the f**k off twitter, promise not to delete my account until I sleep on it, thank you for the nice words supporters."

But McCain did make one final tweet before the evening came to a close, posting a link to her latest column for the Web site The Daily Beast.

Filed under: Meghan McCain • Popular Posts • Twitter
  1. Bill, Bloominton IL

Meghan, this is what happens when you court democrats. They are haters, namecallers, and generally not nice people. The funny thing is they will say republicans are the haters. Just read the blogs.

October 15, 2009 09:08 am at 9:08 am |
  2. Marc

You forgot to include that she posted a tweet APOLOGIZING to those that were offended by the photo.

October 15, 2009 09:09 am at 9:09 am |
  3. Chris M.

Obviously this poor woman is a bit clueless. Posting unglamorous pictures of your self on the net and then getting negative responses? Well DUH!

October 15, 2009 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  4. Carolina

Leave her alone! She's the only McCain worth her weight in salt.

October 15, 2009 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  5. Carmelle

That's your fellow repubs for you...bc I can't imagine libs being offended by that (althought I haven't seen the pic), since we are the party no values, LGBT, Roe vs Wade, etc....

So now Meghan, can you answer your chairman's question...WHY ARE YOU A REPUBLICAN?

October 15, 2009 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  6. Peoples Voice

It was just a costume malfunction. What's the big deal?

October 15, 2009 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  7. Mariane McDevitt

Does anyone really care about Meaghan McCain? Who cares if she was wearing a tank top? Get a life, people.

October 15, 2009 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  8. mcangeli

Unfortunately, its the price of the new internet age. Put something out there and people are bound to comment on it. Love it or hate it.

If Ms. McCain can't handle the comments, she shouldn't be on there. She should know however, that she's a positive role model to both men and women (and young women and girls as well) across the country and she should not let the negativity of some troubled souls get to her.

Water off a ducks back.

October 15, 2009 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  9. 2012

Even though I'm not Megan McCain follower, that's going a little overboard isn't it?

October 15, 2009 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  10. Mike in Columbus

Amazing what passes for news these days... while so many other important things slip by under the radar. CNN, FOX, MSNBC... all working hard to keep America ignorant.

October 15, 2009 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  11. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

Republicans still think sex sells.

October 15, 2009 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  12. Joe

Meghan needs to leave the right and come over to left. She is to smart for these hillbillies.

October 15, 2009 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  13. Don B. Charlotte

well, yeah, OK ... but where's the picture ?? :0)

October 15, 2009 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  14. Boston Guy

Poor thing. She can sure dish it out but like a true Repurb, she cannot take it. Your dad lost! GET OVER IT!

October 15, 2009 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  15. Scott g

Haha it stinks when most of your Twitter followers are nit jobs! She did nothing wrong!

October 15, 2009 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  16. Jason

Social conservatives are ruining everything in this country. I sure if it was a picture of her holding a semi-automatic weapon they would be pleased, but heaven forbid she show a touch of skin.

Keep the pics coming Meghan, and your better off with a more honest career path in modeling, then in politcs.

October 15, 2009 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  17. TM in CO

Meghan McCain is not a politician so why is this in the political section? This is almost as dumb as continuing to post articles about Palin

October 15, 2009 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  18. Emily

Meghan, my hat's off to you. I don't always agree with your point of view, but you are a courageous young lady. You won me over when you appeared on Bill Maher. That took huevos!! So, hold your head high and live your life just the way you want. I'll stand up for you.

October 15, 2009 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  19. Pat F

My comment on this is, who in heck cares about McCain's daughter's twitter account?

I am a die-hard Republican, and I cannot think of a more vacuous addition to the CNN ticker than this. Maybe another Obamessiah's new dog story, or Queen Michelle's new sweater story – that would be about it.

October 15, 2009 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  20. Tony

Meghan McCain's a pretty girl with big boobs. Has she never been around other women and jerk guys before? Twitter's not the problem, people are the problem. They'll find some other way to call her a slut as long as she keeps putting herself out there. Gotta just roll with the punches.

On the other hand, I think people who obsess over Twitter are narcissists anyway.

October 15, 2009 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  21. Tony

Meghan McCain's a pretty girl with big boobs. Has she never been around other women and jerk guys before? Twitter's not the problem, people are the problem. They'll find some other way to call her a disparaging names as long as she keeps putting herself out there. Gotta just roll with the punches.

October 15, 2009 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  22. I haven't visited this site in some weeks...

and when I visit it, it is still the same stupid garbage passing as news

at least the economy is improving... now we need that to translate into JOBS

Obama, you are doing a great job, keep up the good work

October 15, 2009 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  23. Sam Sixpack

Why bash her? She isn't one of the folks planning to steal your grandmother's medicare while raising taxes in the name of health care and then steal that money too.

October 15, 2009 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  24. Lydia

Haven't seen the photo and don't care. Still a free country, Meghan, so don't let "them" get you down.

Keep talking, girl, because as a life-long Democrat myself it's good to hear your point of view without getting totally pissed off. There are so many Repubs (of course not all) and some really lame Dems out there, so don't fold up your tent and go away. Keep talking. KEEP TALKING. DON'T STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't give in. I respect your dad, don't always agree, but your a chip off the old block, along with your mom being her own person, so don't let them down.

You've battled with Ann (gulp) Coulter, et al, so just hang in there. If you stop, the Coulters will go on and on and on and on. "Brave up" and so many of us are listening to you, Meghan McCain!! Grab hold and enjoy the ride.......................don't fret.

October 15, 2009 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  25. Frozone

I've never seen someone so desperate for attention, and with such thin skin, as Meghan McCain. It must be the fact that Megs really has no talent and nothing interesting to say.

October 15, 2009 09:28 am at 9:28 am |