October 15th, 2009

Meghan McCain runs into backlash over photograph

Meghan McCain says she's ready to quit twitter after a photograph she posted caused a wave of criticism

(CNN) Meghan McCain says she's ready to quit Twitter all together after generating a wave of criticism from users of the popular social networking site Wednesday night for posting a picture of herself in a tank top that left little to the twitterverse's imagination.

The controversy began quietly enough when McCain, the vocal daughter of the former Republican presidential candidate, tweeted that her self described "spontaneous" night in included reading a biography of the iconic artist Andy Warhol and ordering takeout.

It was there the 24-year old McCain posted the photo of herself wearing a tank top that generated the subsequent controversy .

The photograph apparently generated a string of negative responses, leading McCain to weigh in 15 minutes later: "so I took a fun picture not thinking anything about what I was wearing but apparently anything other than a pantsuit and I am a slut."

"This is why I have been considering deleting my twitter account," McCain, with close to 60,000 followers, continued in another tweet, "what once was fun now just seems like a vessel for harassment."

Fifteen minutes later, McCain weighed in again, tweeting, "When I am alone in my apartment, I wear tank tops and sweat pants, I had no idea this makes me a slut", I can't even tell you how hurt I am."

An hour later, the prolific tweeter said her decision was nearly made: "ok I am getting the f**k off twitter, promise not to delete my account until I sleep on it, thank you for the nice words supporters."

But McCain did make one final tweet before the evening came to a close, posting a link to her latest column for the Web site The Daily Beast.

Filed under: Meghan McCain • Popular Posts • Twitter
  1. FEDFL

I seriously doubt that any of the criticisms came from liberals. After all, liberals are far more open minded and understanding.

October 15, 2009 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  2. Thomas

So?

And I am suppose to care about this for what reason, CNN?

October 15, 2009 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  3. Alex

The people who complained about this photo need to get a life and move into the 21st century. The pic is posted on some other news sites and the only thing about it is it shows cleavage. Big deal. I've seen worse in high school yearbooks. Do people expect her to wear neck-high sweaters or a nun's habit? Give me a break.

October 15, 2009 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  4. Keeth in California

Meghan, these are your conservative followers. This experience should really tell you something.

October 15, 2009 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  5. mike

for the record that picture is awesome.

October 15, 2009 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  6. Cecilia

How shallow... wake up young lady, the world does not revolve around you. Grow up and be useful to society !

October 15, 2009 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  7. Scott

This is so silly. I am not a fan of McCain, though I like her more than her dad. However, the picture, while somewhat over the top, is not that big a deal. Wingnuts need to get over it already with sex and sexuality.

October 15, 2009 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  8. Thomas

Twitter , self absorbed ?

Find a LIfe !

October 15, 2009 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  9. Shawn`

Since when did the Ticker become a Meghan McCain forum? I'm interested in political news. Count the number of Meghan articles at this moment. If CNN has become Entertainment Tonight, I'll need to get my news elsewhere.

October 15, 2009 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  10. Marty, Grand Rapids Mi

Not news

October 15, 2009 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  11. zap01

Wow, the one republican I actually find common ground with. Goes to show you that politics is the art of taking anything positive and twisting it negative. Oddly, I don't see how a photo of her could be negative. Must be gays complaining.

October 15, 2009 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  12. Terry from West Texas

Attention morons: In the real world, you do not get to vote and decide who gets thrown off the planet. If a woman wants to wear a tank top and sweatpants, should we make a law against it? I remember when women could not wear pants to work and had to wear hose and heels. We could go back to those days.

I know that a lot of you 300 lb gals love nothing better than to criticize what someone else is wearing. If THEY are tacky, then YOU must be fashionable, right?

Judging people and finding them to be lacking is something you have learned from reality TV, where the morons judge which idiot gets kicked off the program.

McCain is a Conservative, therefore she does deserve to be kicked off the planet, but while she's here let the girl wear what she wants to. Close your pie holes.

October 15, 2009 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  13. It's better in Bucks

Can't wait to see what the haters have to say about this.
    Let's end the partisan bitterness and get down to what we really want: To eradicate the other side. Both sides want total war, so what are we waiting for?

October 15, 2009 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  14. Art

....so she is hot. Jealous?

October 15, 2009 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  15. Jon

Twitter really is crappy. I don't know why the media makes so much of it.

October 15, 2009 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  16. Unemployed in IOWA

So shes HOT, big deal, its better than looking at Obama's ears. Just takes all types to complain about an attractive woman, must be all the gays and racist out there.

October 15, 2009 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  17. Stacie

Look...it's another Republican quitter. This is getting so old. Thank god the USA has a Republican like Olympia Snow to remind everyone that not every single Republican whines and quits when the going gets rough.

October 15, 2009 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  18. tiger2471

Nothing at all wrong with that pic! Whew!

October 15, 2009 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  19. Bob in Pa

I'm sorry, but at 24 she is just too young to deal with the political wolves.

October 15, 2009 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  20. Dee, 1 Vote

She is Like her Mom! Get a TRUE JOB!

October 15, 2009 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  21. Who cares

How is this different from any other photo that she posts of herself on twitpic???

October 15, 2009 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  22. Layla

I have been reading this outragous news stories people in the public eye. Seriously, and this one has hit a nerve. Meghan McCain is human and has the same rights as everyday people not in the public eye. She has the right to take a photo of herself, it was not a inapporpriate picture. If you go to this same site or any other social webpage, you will see 5 times worse. I hope Meghan doesnt delete her account.

October 15, 2009 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  23. Another Home is Forclosed on Every 7.5 Seconds

Even though Ms. McCain and I have many differences politically, I really have to say that this is ridiculous! On the one hand, the tv airwaves are filled with commercials for erectile disfunction & scantily clad bodies selling everthing under the sun, but just let one of our political "darlings" (and I mean that with no disrespect to Ms. McCain) be seen the way real women dress when they are kicking back at home and people feel like they can treat that person like she should have a red letter "A" emblazened on her chest! Just one of the many, many issues Americans have with the "four letter word" . . . sex!

October 15, 2009 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  24. jeff jackson, alabama

Well bless your little unloyal rebellious heart.

October 15, 2009 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  25. C. Farrell, Houston, Tx

This girl needs to get a life and stop being a spoiled rich brat. These McCains are so out of touch until it's unreal, visit Arizona and you will understand.

October 15, 2009 11:47 am at 11:47 am |