October 15th, 2009

Meghan McCain runs into backlash over photograph

Meghan McCain says she's ready to quit twitter after a photograph she posted caused a wave of criticism

(CNN) Meghan McCain says she's ready to quit Twitter all together after generating a wave of criticism from users of the popular social networking site Wednesday night for posting a picture of herself in a tank top that left little to the twitterverse's imagination.

The controversy began quietly enough when McCain, the vocal daughter of the former Republican presidential candidate, tweeted that her self described "spontaneous" night in included reading a biography of the iconic artist Andy Warhol and ordering takeout.

It was there the 24-year old McCain posted the photo of herself wearing a tank top that generated the subsequent controversy .

The photograph apparently generated a string of negative responses, leading McCain to weigh in 15 minutes later: "so I took a fun picture not thinking anything about what I was wearing but apparently anything other than a pantsuit and I am a slut."

"This is why I have been considering deleting my twitter account," McCain, with close to 60,000 followers, continued in another tweet, "what once was fun now just seems like a vessel for harassment."

Fifteen minutes later, McCain weighed in again, tweeting, "When I am alone in my apartment, I wear tank tops and sweat pants, I had no idea this makes me a slut", I can't even tell you how hurt I am."

An hour later, the prolific tweeter said her decision was nearly made: "ok I am getting the f**k off twitter, promise not to delete my account until I sleep on it, thank you for the nice words supporters."

But McCain did make one final tweet before the evening came to a close, posting a link to her latest column for the Web site The Daily Beast.

Filed under: Meghan McCain • Popular Posts • Twitter
  1. Ed from PA

I hope you all saw this picture... it is phenomenal! Wow.

October 15, 2009 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  2. Richard of Knoxville

Who did she offend? Her father's political opponents? Meghan McCain is getting harassed by cowardly people because the internet protects their anonymity. People are able to type negative comments without fear of reprisal. Young girls and women wear tank tops in public without backlash everyday. It's all about politics.

October 15, 2009 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  3. gl, From Pittsburgh

She is a loser like her dad.

October 15, 2009 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  4. Steve in St. Louis

Ridiculous. If someone only likes her when she's frumpy, she should forget about them. She looks great in the picture. She should not have to apologize to any one.

October 15, 2009 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  5. gl, From Pittsburgh

When I come to CNN, I know there are going to be story on McCain and Palin becasue CNN have not got the memo yet that the LOST.

October 15, 2009 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  6. Charlotte, NC

Meghan McCain is clearly an immature kid. Why is ANYthing she does or says news? She needs to shut up, delete the Twitter for sure and get a real job so she can mature.

October 15, 2009 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  7. Dave

What an uptight constituency of American Taliban Meghan McCain is stuck with. I'm defininitely no Republican and would never vote for her dad, but I don' see anything wrong with her wearing a tank-top.

October 15, 2009 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  8. gl, From Pittsburgh

We really dodged a bullet when the American People voted against the McCain and Palin ticket. First Sara Palin would be son-in law and now McCain's daughter.

October 15, 2009 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  9. Todd

The only assests the conservative fox news party has....nudge nudge...and they are complaining? Are they just still in the closet?

October 15, 2009 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  10. MatthewDetroit

The chick is an idiot. Period.

October 15, 2009 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  11. Anonymous

What did she do that was wrong?

October 15, 2009 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  12. Eric

Two Things:

1) If you are going to write a story about a "controversial" photo please post the photo.

2) Meghan, if you are going to post a photo featuring your breasts popping out of your shirt then expect some negative feedback.

Both of these points are obvious and both CNN & McCain should be intelligent enough to to know this. You guys are better than than this, c'mon now.

October 15, 2009 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  13. ANDROLOMA, Commerce City, Colorado

If there exists any rotten thing to say, people will find a way to say it. What, has she never attended public school?

October 15, 2009 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  14. Jules

I think this is crazy

October 15, 2009 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  15. Doc in Virginia

wow....what an exciting age we live in. (yawn)

October 15, 2009 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  16. frank from Az

What? A woman who dresses comfortably in her off time? I think she has the intelligence and the following to create a more honest (and welcoming) conservative party. This thing is a non-issue!

October 15, 2009 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  17. Va 4 Obama

Meghan don't lose any sleep over mean spirited people! You should become a Democrat – we don't have problems with girls wearing tank tops and sweats.

October 15, 2009 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  18. Brian

That pictures is hot! Conservatives just can't stand looking at an attractive woman.

October 15, 2009 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  19. leapfrog

If you can't stand the tweet, get off the twitter...you twit.

October 15, 2009 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  20. gl, From Pittsburgh

Palin will campaign for Perry sometime next year, according to his campaign, but the dates are still being finalized.

I bet she will becasue they both have the same dream which is have their state live the USA Union.

October 15, 2009 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  21. gl, From Pittsburgh

I bet she will becasue they both have the same dream which is have their state leave the USA Union.

October 15, 2009 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  22. Joe

when you learn that your friends only like you for limited reasons – get new friends

October 15, 2009 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  23. Grant

I have to ask ... just what exactly makes this "news worthy"??

October 15, 2009 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  24. Cortney

Bad decession making just like Father

October 15, 2009 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  25. Maine

She might wear a tank top and sweat pants when she's home alone but, when you send a photo out on tweeter, you're no longer home alone. What a dumb blond.

October 15, 2009 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |