October 15th, 2009

Meghan McCain runs into backlash over photograph

Meghan McCain says she's ready to quit twitter after a photograph she posted caused a wave of criticism

(CNN) Meghan McCain says she's ready to quit Twitter all together after generating a wave of criticism from users of the popular social networking site Wednesday night for posting a picture of herself in a tank top that left little to the twitterverse's imagination.

The controversy began quietly enough when McCain, the vocal daughter of the former Republican presidential candidate, tweeted that her self described "spontaneous" night in included reading a biography of the iconic artist Andy Warhol and ordering takeout.

It was there the 24-year old McCain posted the photo of herself wearing a tank top that generated the subsequent controversy .

The photograph apparently generated a string of negative responses, leading McCain to weigh in 15 minutes later: "so I took a fun picture not thinking anything about what I was wearing but apparently anything other than a pantsuit and I am a slut."

"This is why I have been considering deleting my twitter account," McCain, with close to 60,000 followers, continued in another tweet, "what once was fun now just seems like a vessel for harassment."

Fifteen minutes later, McCain weighed in again, tweeting, "When I am alone in my apartment, I wear tank tops and sweat pants, I had no idea this makes me a slut", I can't even tell you how hurt I am."

An hour later, the prolific tweeter said her decision was nearly made: "ok I am getting the f**k off twitter, promise not to delete my account until I sleep on it, thank you for the nice words supporters."

But McCain did make one final tweet before the evening came to a close, posting a link to her latest column for the Web site The Daily Beast.

Filed under: Meghan McCain • Popular Posts • Twitter
  1. Derek

I saw the photo – what was the big deal? I see more walking passed a victoria's secret shop than she revealed.... ummm, why is this news?

October 15, 2009 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  2. Jeeze

Why does CNN think anyone really cares?

October 15, 2009 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  3. Nick

Meghan McCain's socially liberal, fiscally conservative approach to politics is the stance the GOP needs to take in order to remain afloat. But the party heads seem hell-bent on pulling the GOP to the right .... right over the cliff that is.

October 15, 2009 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  4. Jnywest

Twitter is stupid. At the end of the day you have 60,000 "friends" whom you do not know, who do not care about you are anything else. The simple reality is that twitter puts you in contact with 1000's of of our fellow human beings, I cant imangine a worse time than that.

October 15, 2009 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  5. kaleto

And we should care because...?

October 15, 2009 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  6. Jann in Denver

Why oh why does CNN care about this kind of foolishness?

October 15, 2009 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  7. ken sanders

No offense or disrespect but this lady should just ' butt out '. The same can be said about the Cheney daughter. Yesterday's children. And who cares what they think ? They have accomplished NOTHING yet on their own. They think they are celebrities. DISGUSTING !!!!

October 15, 2009 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  8. nj

Oh, please... I looked at the photo. It screams, "LOOK at my BOOBS." She knew what she was doing when she sent the picture out. I like her, but this time she needs to own up to what she did.

October 15, 2009 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  9. seriously

This is news?

October 15, 2009 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  10. Dean

Meghan just quit the Republican party and come over to the Democrats as you can see they are nothing but a bunch of Hypocrites.

October 15, 2009 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  11. Judy T

You poor little thing. If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen! Grow up.

October 15, 2009 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  12. Greg, San Francisco, CA

"Pay attention to me!" – Meghan McCain, spokesperson for the Narcissist Nation.

October 15, 2009 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  13. Proud Boulder Liberal

Folks:

Leave Meghan McCain (my favorite Republican) alone!

All too many Americans can't stand women who have minds of their own be it (her) Democrat or Republican, Hillary or Meghan...

America needs to get over its its phony moralizing.

October 15, 2009 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  14. Andrea

Holy mother of pearl!! If she did not think that photo wouldn't cause a stir, she is living in la la land. Geezz! Are those things real? I mean really. This photo was more than sweat pants and a tank top. Surly she looked at it before posting it. It's mostly two gigantic melons barely contained by a piece of fabric.

October 15, 2009 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  15. billp

If it were not for her last name, no one would pay any attention to this girl. Why not try to showcase her appearance? Anything to continue to attract attention when her own achievements (or lack of) do not justify it.

October 15, 2009 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  16. Isn't It Obvious

Anyone who thinks that Meghan is the least bit upset about the reaction to her latest (or any) posting is hopelessly naive. She's gotten more press from this "controversy" in the past hour than she's gotten all year.

October 15, 2009 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  17. John

I thought CNN was a news organization not a Reality TV gossip site. Seriously? This is your story the daughter of a senator is going to quit twitter? Wow very political. File this under Entertainment at least.

October 15, 2009 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  18. G in CT

You put your life online for anyone with internet access to see, and you don't think people are going to have opinions about you? Shut your mouth you stupid bimbo. And yes, please do get off Twitter. Who cares?

October 15, 2009 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |