October 15th, 2009

Meghan McCain runs into backlash over photograph

Meghan McCain says she's ready to quit twitter after a photograph she posted caused a wave of criticism

(CNN) Meghan McCain says she's ready to quit Twitter all together after generating a wave of criticism from users of the popular social networking site Wednesday night for posting a picture of herself in a tank top that left little to the twitterverse's imagination.

The controversy began quietly enough when McCain, the vocal daughter of the former Republican presidential candidate, tweeted that her self described "spontaneous" night in included reading a biography of the iconic artist Andy Warhol and ordering takeout.

It was there the 24-year old McCain posted the photo of herself wearing a tank top that generated the subsequent controversy .

The photograph apparently generated a string of negative responses, leading McCain to weigh in 15 minutes later: "so I took a fun picture not thinking anything about what I was wearing but apparently anything other than a pantsuit and I am a slut."

"This is why I have been considering deleting my twitter account," McCain, with close to 60,000 followers, continued in another tweet, "what once was fun now just seems like a vessel for harassment."

Fifteen minutes later, McCain weighed in again, tweeting, "When I am alone in my apartment, I wear tank tops and sweat pants, I had no idea this makes me a slut", I can't even tell you how hurt I am."

An hour later, the prolific tweeter said her decision was nearly made: "ok I am getting the f**k off twitter, promise not to delete my account until I sleep on it, thank you for the nice words supporters."

But McCain did make one final tweet before the evening came to a close, posting a link to her latest column for the Web site The Daily Beast.

Filed under: Meghan McCain • Popular Posts • Twitter
  1. Mike

You're a bad lady, how dare you be comfortable in your own home!

October 15, 2009 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  2. Fran

We don't agree on politics Ms. McCain but we sure agree on what the media do to "normal" sized women.

Stay strong young lady and know that there are millions of women who agree 100% with what you say about women's weight issues.

October 15, 2009 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  3. Eric

Very nice Meghan, very nice....

October 15, 2009 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  4. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

brainless jerk

October 15, 2009 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  5. randy j

who cares what megan mccain wears or anyone else for that matter ?Who cares what she or anyone else says????Get a life and get off of twitter!!!

October 15, 2009 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  6. Cleaning up after W

I saw the post. So what? She's got cleavage. Grow up.

I swear, the far right is this country's Taliban. Both want nothing more than to impose their ideology and strict morals on everyone. The only difference is that in the USA you can't be executed for violating those moral laws. Yet...

October 15, 2009 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  7. Dominican mama 4 Obama

When you inhabit the stratosphere of the indecently, and criminally wealthy you cannot go around acting like you're Jane Blow, or expect people to react to you like they would with the 'average' person. It is not going to happen. When you add to that the fact that your daddy added to his already overflowing coffers via ill-gotten gains, primarily by throwing the country into an unnecessary war and profiting from it via no-bid war contracts, well.....folks are just not going to pass up ANY opportunity to go knee-deep in your stuff. That includes your little tank top and sweatpants combo, which I'm sure was adorable Meghan. Get real.

October 15, 2009 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  8. KP

Meghan, you wear your tank top, girl! It's your life and what everyone else thinks does not matter. It is a shame that you have to be personified by what you wear in your own house! Forget these hypocrites.

October 15, 2009 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  9. Will-South Dakota

Watch the jokes began....The Daily Breast with Megan McCain....

October 15, 2009 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  10. Randy, San Francisco

McCain should have stood her ground. Nothing wrong with McCain showing off her assets. Family values types in the GOP can't handle women power. Just like the Taliban who can't tolerate women power.

October 15, 2009 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  11. Jerry Dunn

She is boring as is much of twitter.

October 15, 2009 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  12. torres

Who cares? So just quit twitter then Meghan, and stop talking about it!

October 15, 2009 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  13. Clay

Such language from a christian conservative! I guess she learned it at home from her disgusting father.

October 15, 2009 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  14. cfrench

Wow, does she sound psycho or what? It sounds as if her widdle feewings were hurt and she just that there in her own stew. And talk about indecisive! "I'm outa here, no wait, yes I'm outa here, F this, F that, let me sleep on it". Twitter sure does attract its Twits, doesn't it? And to think, initially I thought she had a brain and might have been a bright spot in the angry-white-guy-GOP.

October 15, 2009 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  15. Anonymous

ppl have nothing else to do with their time but disect someone else for the simplest things. get a life! more important things going on in this world besides what someone is wearing!

October 15, 2009 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  16. Jim Q.

My God, she has breasts! WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT. Save the children!

October 15, 2009 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  17. Fools and their freedoms are soon parted

If you don't want to hear about it...don't put it out there.

October 15, 2009 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  18. LtDan

Oh so she's got boobs people, so what.

October 15, 2009 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  19. Vietnam Combat Veteran, Ohio

And who cares?

October 15, 2009 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  20. Ryan

I like Megan McCain. She labels herself a republican but she's not anywhere's near half as crazy as they usually are. She's a pretty girl, some would think she's fat, I think she's average but since the get-go people have been coming down hard on her and they don't seem to realize, she is NOT a politician and is not to held to the same standard. Her father is... and he's a train wreck.

But her responses to everything are completely sound, normal, sane, and justified. Why are people – especially conservatives – always jumping down her throat?? I thought you pervs loved a young girl in a tank top? Isn't that your thing what with all the repressed sexual aggression your representatives are always getting busted for?

October 15, 2009 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  21. jeremy.....Dallas...Texas

What is freedom all about ? Oh maybe she was also born in Kenya like OLympia Snow. I love this republican drama....

October 15, 2009 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  22. Uncle Jimbo

Besides being the daughter of Senator McCain –

Just what exactly are her credentials, what has she accomplished in life to give her such constant air time ?

I fail to see anything inspiring about her.

October 15, 2009 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  23. windfall

Americans get so bent out of shape over the human body and sexuality; they take an innocent non-event and cry "offensive!". And yet they can't get enough of Young Hollywood climbing out of cars showing their hoohoos.

Puritanical hypocrites.

October 15, 2009 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  24. JR

who cares? This isn't political "news", it's more like a gossip column....

October 15, 2009 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  25. Jenn

This girl is starved for attention

October 15, 2009 09:43 am at 9:43 am |