October 15th, 2009

Meghan McCain runs into backlash over photograph

Meghan McCain says she's ready to quit twitter after a photograph she posted caused a wave of criticism

(CNN) Meghan McCain says she's ready to quit Twitter all together after generating a wave of criticism from users of the popular social networking site Wednesday night for posting a picture of herself in a tank top that left little to the twitterverse's imagination.

The controversy began quietly enough when McCain, the vocal daughter of the former Republican presidential candidate, tweeted that her self described "spontaneous" night in included reading a biography of the iconic artist Andy Warhol and ordering takeout.

It was there the 24-year old McCain posted the photo of herself wearing a tank top that generated the subsequent controversy .

The photograph apparently generated a string of negative responses, leading McCain to weigh in 15 minutes later: "so I took a fun picture not thinking anything about what I was wearing but apparently anything other than a pantsuit and I am a slut."

"This is why I have been considering deleting my twitter account," McCain, with close to 60,000 followers, continued in another tweet, "what once was fun now just seems like a vessel for harassment."

Fifteen minutes later, McCain weighed in again, tweeting, "When I am alone in my apartment, I wear tank tops and sweat pants, I had no idea this makes me a slut", I can't even tell you how hurt I am."

An hour later, the prolific tweeter said her decision was nearly made: "ok I am getting the f**k off twitter, promise not to delete my account until I sleep on it, thank you for the nice words supporters."

Filed under: Meghan McCain • Popular Posts • Twitter
  1. Steve

Who cares?

October 15, 2009 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  2. Sniffit

"But McCain did make one final tweet before the evening came to a close, posting a link to her latest column for the Web site The Daily Beast."

So she's not a total moron. Marketing stunt anyone?

October 15, 2009 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  3. Seattle Sue

Did Meghan inherit her garbage mouth from her father? Who really cares what she has to say?

October 15, 2009 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  4. Donkey Party

Meghan, you'd make a nice Blue Dog Democrat, with your fiscal responsibility and being socially liberal. That would really send pops into a cardiac. By the way, if I had big old tatas in front of me all the time, I'd be playing with them too!

October 15, 2009 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  5. Wake Up

Anyone going to realize that the Liberal media and blogs will tear apart any woman or minority that isn't a left-winger??

Give this girl a break. It's 2009....Obama got praised for his shirtless pic...but McCain is dragged through the mug for this house picture?? Liberal Double-standard

October 15, 2009 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  6. DJH

WHO CARES! The young Ms. McCain proved that she's the same idiot as the rest of the lefist morons when she went on and on about the negativity of republicans during the campaign while completely ignoring the negative of the dems and the wild and ridiculous accusations made by the far left.
    Until she grows up and shows some objectivity, I'd suggest she just shut up and stick to her liberal buddies!

I'm getting sick of the lack of objectivity and massive bias being shown by the MSM – and even moreso the dishonesty as a whole by the left. The right hasn't done the American people any favors, but the left is every bit as bad and even more hate filled!

October 15, 2009 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  7. TexGal

Way to go Meghan for realizing that twitter is a waste of time and just another way to be harassed and stalked. Read comments on youtube, news stories, etc. and you'll see that all of this connectivity gives trolls a place to anonymously vent their anger and hatred. I personally think that the world would be a better place without twitter, myspace, facebook, etc. I will never have an account on any of these. I am with Bruce Willis who recently said that, if he wants to contact someone, he will either call them or see them in person.

October 15, 2009 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  8. Mark

Better get on her CNN! Shes is one of those conservatives!

October 15, 2009 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  9. Dave C - NJ

Good Lord, the pic was no big deal. Get over it you uptight old coots.

October 15, 2009 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  10. KyleIM

I didn't see the picture–because I stopped following Meghan, only because she was tweeting a little TOO much for me, lol–but this sounds ridiculous. Really, a tank top?? I'm not surprised that people want to be nasty while hiding behind a social network, but I am a little surprised that someone as strong as MM would allow this to deter her from continuing to share her message (despite the incessancy of it).

October 15, 2009 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  11. SNAPPA

Listen little girl, if you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen!! Being a public figure that YOU created get use to it. This is what YOU wanted isn't it? You have to make sure everyone hears your opinion, no? Now just like Mrs Palin up there in Alaska the minute it starts to get hot you want out, I see a trend here with republican women.

When something doesn't go your way QUIT!!!

October 15, 2009 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  12. Alex

Well Megan, so long as you are a McCain and in the public eye, the Democrats will use anything to try to put and your family down. What used to be fun is now political ammuntion for sure. Times really haven't changed. Its that same old poltical mentality that makes politics such a vile topic.

October 15, 2009 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  13. Todd M

Twitter and the internet allow losers and cowards to post mean and stupid rantings because they are too scared to deal with it in their real lives.
    I'm guessing most of these people can't face up to their failures in life and can only feel self worth by insulting other people rather than deal with their problems and try to fix them. Besides they would probably never say them in person because they wouldn't want to deal with the conflict.

October 15, 2009 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  14. just saying

Meghan McCain has breasts? OMG!!! And when she squeezes them together she has cleavage? OH, THE HORROR!!! I've seen the pic. She looks like someone casually dressed hanging out at home. Give me a break. Some people are reacting like she was topless or wearing a soaking wet see-thru white tanktop. P.S. Meghan is remarkably attractive in this pic.....especially her eyes!

October 15, 2009 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  15. Dr. Kinsey

Ever notice in the GOP that it all comes down sex. At least we're now getting some equality as it's not all men anymore.

October 15, 2009 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  16. Bananarama Victim II: Electric Boogaloo

Quit twitter? How about quit the puritanical Republican party? Those comments were from people stuck in an era of floor-length skirts and walking ten paces behind your man. That's the America they're talking about when they say "I want my country back."

Meghan you've made strides for young Republicans everywhere and have added a little light amoungst the dim bulbs. Why on earth would you let them tell you what to do? Why on earth would we let them tell us what to do. That's why I'm so opposed to conservatives. They don't want you to live your life as you see fit, but as they see fit.

Pathetic, but what's new?

October 15, 2009 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  17. AJ

Who cares?

October 15, 2009 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  18. no name calling

Dear cnn,

Please start reporting actual news.

October 15, 2009 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  19. Mississippi Miss

It is impossible not to react to criticism, personally I prefer praise.
    Throwing yourself out there and humanizing yourself to strangers is risky. It is also addictive behavior (but you can't see it when you are caught up in it). My advice is to let your wounded ego mend and then decide whether to give up on twitter.

October 15, 2009 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  20. G2

Hey leave her alone. The human body is natural and if her outfit was somewhat revealing and she is comfortable with it then we shouldn't get all worked up about it either. Can we please focus on the policies and positions of political figures rather than these personal attacks and personal issues. A tragedy is Charlie Rangel cheating on his taxes and still in his position. A tragedy is the Congress trying to force through a public option in healthcare reform when the majority don't want it. A tragedy is occuring in Iran, North Korea and Afghanistan. This McCain picture is not even an issue!

October 15, 2009 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  21. mark in Atlanta

Man. what would make someone want to give her crap for something like that? That's just mean. And judgemental. And small minded. Oh, right, Megan is a conservative. I guess that explains it.

October 15, 2009 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  22. llinmpls

Oh please please PLEASE keep twittering, how else will the rabble stay occupied? After all we have to keep up to date with your bathroom breaks and abortions. Is she Cheney's lesbian daughter? Ok I quit!! Well one more post . . . it is so addicting.

October 15, 2009 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  23. animated banner maker

October 15, 2009 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  24. Hmmm....

A good lesson to us all- no matter who you are or who your parents are, a child is still a child until that child grows up. This child, too, will grow up. Too bad she has chosen to grow up in front of us all- a rather childish and selfish endeavor.

October 15, 2009 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  25. mike

what she does in her apartment is her business the problem is that she has a father who is in the republican party that thinks they have moral values until it knocks on there door she needs to switch parties

October 15, 2009 09:56 am at 9:56 am |