October 15th, 2009

Meghan McCain runs into backlash over photograph

Meghan McCain says she's ready to quit twitter after a photograph she posted caused a wave of criticism

(CNN) Meghan McCain says she's ready to quit Twitter all together after generating a wave of criticism from users of the popular social networking site Wednesday night for posting a picture of herself in a tank top that left little to the twitterverse's imagination.

The controversy began quietly enough when McCain, the vocal daughter of the former Republican presidential candidate, tweeted that her self described "spontaneous" night in included reading a biography of the iconic artist Andy Warhol and ordering takeout.

It was there the 24-year old McCain posted the photo of herself wearing a tank top that generated the subsequent controversy .

The photograph apparently generated a string of negative responses, leading McCain to weigh in 15 minutes later: "so I took a fun picture not thinking anything about what I was wearing but apparently anything other than a pantsuit and I am a slut."

"This is why I have been considering deleting my twitter account," McCain, with close to 60,000 followers, continued in another tweet, "what once was fun now just seems like a vessel for harassment."

Fifteen minutes later, McCain weighed in again, tweeting, "When I am alone in my apartment, I wear tank tops and sweat pants, I had no idea this makes me a slut", I can't even tell you how hurt I am."

An hour later, the prolific tweeter said her decision was nearly made: "ok I am getting the f**k off twitter, promise not to delete my account until I sleep on it, thank you for the nice words supporters."

But McCain did make one final tweet before the evening came to a close, posting a link to her latest column for the Web site The Daily Beast.

Filed under: Meghan McCain • Popular Posts • Twitter
  1. paul

I like Meghan. She is a voice for many people. She is smart and courageous. She has made a name for herself for not only speaking up for her father but for the values she holds dear and has never been ashamed to admit it. She is proud of her dad as she is of her mother. She is modest. She has shown this country that you can be many things and still be happy and successful.

I am sorry that people had to take it out on her for choosing to post a picture of herself. ALthough I did not see the picture I can honestly say that any negative comments thrown at her is extremely unfortunate. This country ... as has so many other countries in the world ... has opted to take the "TEAR THEM DOWN" mentality towards people.

I hope, Meghan, you remain vocal with the world on all that you deem important or silly, all that you deem right or wrong, and all that you think we would want to hear. Stand tall and strong!!!

October 15, 2009 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  2. Mike

right wingers sure know how to throw a good hissy fit!

October 15, 2009 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  3. John

Oh the horrors! What will we do as a society without her Twitter!

October 15, 2009 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  4. Ant C.

Meghan McCain is hot and everyone who is complaining about her twitter photo needs to get a life.

October 15, 2009 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  5. Peter E

The new generation of republicans is no better than the old. They are holier-than-thou pretentious hypocrites. They talk about how immoral, lude behavior by OTHERS is destroying America, only to have themselves exposed on national television for those same behaviors. Then they tell everyone to 'forgive and forget.' And while criticizing others for posting ludicrous tweets, they themselves can't stop spamming about their private lives either!

October 15, 2009 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  6. GG

The internet is a vessel to bullying!!....apparently some don't change after elementary school, they still continue to have the same mentality....

I believe in karma, so it will come back to them

October 15, 2009 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  7. RealityKing

The average progressive liberal has clearly not even progressed past their own primordial hate..

October 15, 2009 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  8. Biased

What a shame that anyone has to be constantly criticized for anything. She was covered and showed a lot of cleavage – so what?

October 15, 2009 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  9. PNWjim

Stay up girl. You are one of the few repubs that actual talks sense. You are not only bright and have more gonads than most of the old white guys but you are a modern woman [Im a demo. man ]who is also very hot. Dont let the repub. bitches get you down.They dont like woman who think for themselves.GOP IS ABOUT PRECEPTION, NOT ABOUT PROGRSS OR REALITY.

October 15, 2009 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  10. Wise Latina

Let's forever forget who this irrelevant person is or ever was. She is NOT news of any kind.

October 15, 2009 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  11. Brennan, Seattle WA

Meghan,

This has nothing to do with your Twitter account and everything to do with your party.

The Republican party makes a living telling people what to believe and how they should act. Your clothing choices clearly do not meet their standards.

October 15, 2009 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  12. Pete

Seriously.....who cares! There is worse on primetime television EVERY night and we ACCEPTED a President who cheated on his wife IN THE WHITE HOUSE but this NON-NUDE picture is an issue? Only reason people care is because she is the daughter of a prominent Republican. GET A GRIP people. If she was the daughter of a Democrat she would be praised for "being proud of her body" or for "expressing herself". Just another example of the double standards that are now acceptable.

October 15, 2009 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  13. Enough

And this is considered newsworthy? Must be a slow day CNN.

October 15, 2009 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  14. Matt

Don't quit Twitter because some idiots made some nasty, anonymous remarks about you. They're not your friends, and you shouldn't be bothered by such fluff. That's the life you have to endure when you are a public figure. If you have aspirations of public service in the same way your father is serving his country, then you are already demonstrating weaknesses that will not serve you well as an even more prominent figure. I like you, Ms. McCain. You are the face and reason the Republican party needs. You are the reason I would consider switching parties and supporting Republicans. Don't let the chatter on the side affect you – please.

October 15, 2009 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  15. MH in Michigan

Just a lovely lady taking a picture of herself. What is all the fuss about?

October 15, 2009 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  16. Bob Grefe

I am a progressive and abhor your polotics. I do however support you in this situation. I don,t do twitter and have not seen the picture, however I think you are allowed to wear anything you want in your home without it reflecting on your character or morality. People who condem you need to get a life and allow you to get on with yours!

October 15, 2009 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  17. kcl

The key words, "when I'm alone in my apartment" um, why put a picture of you on twitter wearing something you don't wear anywhere else?
    This will haunt her for years with the various places that picture will end up.
    Seems like there have been many internet instances that would warrant thinking before posting!?
    Sad lesson to learn but she for one should have known better.

October 15, 2009 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  18. Anna from Phoenix

Dear Megan,

Welcome to your first lesson in Internet Manners. People are allowed to be cruel because you do not know what we look like and we can hide behind a computer and do stuff like this and not get caught. We feel so powerful with this ability........NOT.

Wear those tank tops and thumb your nose at the rude.
    !

October 15, 2009 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  19. rndmhole

Slow news day?..

October 15, 2009 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  20. Puddin'

Even prior to reading this, I have thought she was "full of herself" and advertising herself inappropriatly. I think she wants attention, lots of it and not the kind that would be considered admirable by most people with a brain.

October 15, 2009 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  21. Susan

I hope this is a lesson to young people...THINK before you take that photo, and never, ever send it online, where it will haunt you forever! I know someone who was refused a good she was very qualified for because the potential boss googled her and found some pix. Parents, don;t buy these things for your kids (the decision on brain cancer is still out!) and talk to them over and over about their privacy and their personal things staying personal, including nightwear. This should be a no-brainer.

October 15, 2009 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  22. Aunt Bea and Opie

We dont think it was an accident.Shes just drumming up business,like a cheap hooker and increasing her following among the street dogs.hahaha

October 15, 2009 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  23. just2say

Hey.....the photo looks great. I wouldn't sweat it Meghan, everyones a critic anymore! Not a bad choice of read either..........just be yourself.

October 15, 2009 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  24. T'SAH from Virginia

And these are your FRIENDS???? This is your PARTY OF CHOICE??? Dang – did you SHOW anything or did those NASTY minds WANTED to see more and you did not give it to them!!!

I did not see the picture but you should have known what the PARTY of NO is all about and you went against their principles – their morals – their values. NO ONE else have those characteristics but the REPUBLI-CAN'Ts and they KICKED YOU TO THE CURB because you went against them.... Tisk, Tisk, Tisk!!!

So what do you stand for now, Meghan??? I mean 50,000 followers??? GONE – just like that!!! The nerve of them!!! LOL

October 15, 2009 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  25. ender

Is this suprising?

I mean really, Megan is a "progressive conservative" for starters. It's pretty much an oxymoron to begin with and I have little doubt many "real" conservatives already have a problem with her.

Conservatives attack anyone they dont agree with. I'm sure there's little love for Megan and her ... GASP .... progressive ways.

Move over to the Democrats already Megan. You're not a republican anyway.

October 15, 2009 10:15 am at 10:15 am |