October 15th, 2009

Meghan McCain runs into backlash over photograph

Meghan McCain says she's ready to quit twitter after a photograph she posted caused a wave of criticism

(CNN) Meghan McCain says she's ready to quit Twitter all together after generating a wave of criticism from users of the popular social networking site Wednesday night for posting a picture of herself in a tank top that left little to the twitterverse's imagination.

The controversy began quietly enough when McCain, the vocal daughter of the former Republican presidential candidate, tweeted that her self described "spontaneous" night in included reading a biography of the iconic artist Andy Warhol and ordering takeout.

It was there the 24-year old McCain posted the photo of herself wearing a tank top that generated the subsequent controversy .

The photograph apparently generated a string of negative responses, leading McCain to weigh in 15 minutes later: "so I took a fun picture not thinking anything about what I was wearing but apparently anything other than a pantsuit and I am a slut."

"This is why I have been considering deleting my twitter account," McCain, with close to 60,000 followers, continued in another tweet, "what once was fun now just seems like a vessel for harassment."

Fifteen minutes later, McCain weighed in again, tweeting, "When I am alone in my apartment, I wear tank tops and sweat pants, I had no idea this makes me a slut", I can't even tell you how hurt I am."

An hour later, the prolific tweeter said her decision was nearly made: "ok I am getting the f**k off twitter, promise not to delete my account until I sleep on it, thank you for the nice words supporters."

But McCain did make one final tweet before the evening came to a close, posting a link to her latest column for the Web site The Daily Beast.

Filed under: Meghan McCain • Popular Posts • Twitter
  1. TW in Nawlins

Nothing wrong with that picture...

Some people are just idiots.

October 15, 2009 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  2. Some republican guy

Dangit, what's wrong with Meghan showing a little cleavage? I'd rather look at her than those scrawny liberal women with they're black clothing and armpit hair and no makeup and Chey Guevarro t-shirts and berets and stuff. The narcisstic obamabots are behind these slanderous attacks. I just know it!!!! Have a nice day!

October 15, 2009 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  3. Liberty

Oh come off it people. I can see more erotic pictures and video on prime time television. Why has our society become such a culture of criticism. My mother always taught me not to throw stones when you live in a glass house, a lesson apparently not everyone was taught.

Love ya Meghan!

October 15, 2009 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  4. MLH

I feel bad for Meghan McCain, but this seems to be symptomatic of a generation (or 2?) that have grown up thinking that everything that can be posted, should be posted.

October 15, 2009 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  5. Not Right or Left but Forward

What a nitwit!

October 15, 2009 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  6. Clint

How self absorbed can a person get without it becoming pathological?

October 15, 2009 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  7. JM

Well that picture really didn't leave anything to the imagination and yes its quite revealing but you know what? It's really not something that those people need to get their knickers in a twist over and it doesn't make Meghan a slut or anything else. Those people need to get off their moral high horse and just relax. And Meghan certainly shouldn't quit Twitter just because of this.

October 15, 2009 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  8. Mike

"Meghan McCain says she's ready to quit Twitter all together"

Is there any way to get her to just shut up altogether?

October 15, 2009 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  9. AJ

I can't believe this is news.

I'm also shocked that we apparently still live in 1800's. She has a womanly figure, get over it people. Doesn't take away from her or her ideas.

October 15, 2009 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  10. Luke

That's life when you're semi-famous.

October 15, 2009 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  11. speechmom

Please...she's a cute young girl and one of the few Republicans I don't mind hearing talk these days. What girl her age doesn't hang out in sweats and a tank top?

October 15, 2009 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  12. David

Meghan,

What did you expect? Most of your followers are republican and still live like it's the 18th century. If they had it their way the Earth would still be flat & you'd be in the kitchen.

It is sad but true.

That being said...I liked the pic!

David
    Houston, TX

October 15, 2009 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  13. Jeff

Maybe if Meghan McCain wasn't such a hopeless, attention-starved, and self-absorbed nitwit, she wouldn't have these problems.

Seriously, I follow her out of sheer amazement. Every 10 minutes there's an update about what she's wearing and comments about what "everyone must think of her".

Seriously, get over yourself!

October 15, 2009 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  14. pkb

Only CNN and its GOP fascination could have an article on McCain's daughter! Who gives a rat's ptooty what she looks like or does except CNN?

October 15, 2009 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  15. Alexa

I don't agree with the pose and showing it all off, but do recognize that she's human. She made a mistake by offending other people apparently, she apologized, so get over it!

October 15, 2009 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  16. Troy

I looked at the picture and i seriously don't understand what all the uproar is about. She's a beautiful, intelligent, adult woman... they have boobs people.

I was expecting something much worse... Not Megan McCain in a tanktop... big whup!

October 15, 2009 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  17. Scott

I'm certain the rest of the article was hard-hitting journalism (rolls eyes)...but I checked out after reading Meghan McCain and tank top in the first sentence. The campaign is over CNN...let it go. She was a nobody then and is a nobody now. Besides....don't you trolls have more Palin stalking to do?

October 15, 2009 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  18. Dean

And CNN considers this newsworthy? No wonder FOX news is winning the ratings race.

October 15, 2009 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  19. Charlie

This is the company you keep, Meghan. Don't ever forget it. You sell your soul to the rightwing, and suddenly the sexual revolution never happened. Now get back in the kitchen and fix your old man some dinner!

October 15, 2009 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  20. Nick

Slow news day?

Isn't something more important happening somewhere?

October 15, 2009 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  21. Lauren

She's right! Anything less than a pantsuit and you're considered a slut! I'm sorry that our country is full of hypocrites Megan!

October 15, 2009 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  22. Swampdweller

So, CNN, you have the right to decide what you put on your Political Ticker". But may I gently suggest that you fire the brain-dead bozos who make those decisions? They make you appear as vapid and foolish as this story.

October 15, 2009 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  23. lovable liberal

"Leaving little to the ... imagination" is not accurate. It's a cleavage photo you could see in a PG movie or any trip to the mall.

Looks as though the media has turned on Meghan McCain.

October 15, 2009 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  24. Tina

I guess she's finding out that people will criticize anything you do. You can't post pictures of yourself and not expect to get criticize. That's just the way the world is.

October 15, 2009 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  25. Dave

Please Ms. McCain don't cancel your tweeter account. What would the World do without your brilliance and know it all attitude. I personally don't know how my day would be knowing you cancelled your account. And, that thousands of idiots who pay attention to you would suffer upsets me. Please continue to tweeter.

October 15, 2009 10:31 am at 10:31 am |