October 15th, 2009

Meghan McCain runs into backlash over photograph

Meghan McCain says she's ready to quit twitter after a photograph she posted caused a wave of criticism

(CNN) Meghan McCain says she's ready to quit Twitter all together after generating a wave of criticism from users of the popular social networking site Wednesday night for posting a picture of herself in a tank top that left little to the twitterverse's imagination.

The controversy began quietly enough when McCain, the vocal daughter of the former Republican presidential candidate, tweeted that her self described "spontaneous" night in included reading a biography of the iconic artist Andy Warhol and ordering takeout.

It was there the 24-year old McCain posted the photo of herself wearing a tank top that generated the subsequent controversy .

The photograph apparently generated a string of negative responses, leading McCain to weigh in 15 minutes later: "so I took a fun picture not thinking anything about what I was wearing but apparently anything other than a pantsuit and I am a slut."

"This is why I have been considering deleting my twitter account," McCain, with close to 60,000 followers, continued in another tweet, "what once was fun now just seems like a vessel for harassment."

Fifteen minutes later, McCain weighed in again, tweeting, "When I am alone in my apartment, I wear tank tops and sweat pants, I had no idea this makes me a slut", I can't even tell you how hurt I am."

An hour later, the prolific tweeter said her decision was nearly made: "ok I am getting the f**k off twitter, promise not to delete my account until I sleep on it, thank you for the nice words supporters."

But McCain did make one final tweet before the evening came to a close, posting a link to her latest column for the Web site The Daily Beast.

Filed under: Meghan McCain • Popular Posts • Twitter
  1. brian

I didn't think anything of this it till I saw the picture, which seems more like a playboy glamourshot so I can see how some might be upset. The thing is most people I know wouldn't open their front door dressed how they when they are 'just hanging out in the apartment', so why post a picture of that to millions of people?

October 15, 2009 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  2. AustHall

You have got to be kidding!!

People got offended by that picture. I mean come on grow up

October 15, 2009 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  3. Ted

"... posting a picture of herself in a tank top that left little to the twitterverse's imagination." Huh!? Cleavage?! Who the heck wrote this piece? Cable news just gets more stupid as time goes on.

October 15, 2009 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  4. Dave C - NJ

If her boobs were not so big, and thus not as noticable, would anyone have even said anything? Leave the girl alone. It's a human body folks...grow up.

October 15, 2009 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  5. Ray

She's a slut, Palin's a genius, and Coulter is the voice of reason.

Welcome to the Republican party, ladies. ;-)

October 15, 2009 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  6. Jordan

"When I am alone in my apartment, I wear tank tops and sweat pants, I had no idea this makes me a slut." But it wasn't you alone in your apartment... there were 60,000 people right there with you. When will people realize that when you let the world into your apartment, you lose the right to do things (free from comment) you would normally do if all alone. This was a 100% self-inflicted harassment.

October 15, 2009 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  7. Jilli

Who cares?

This is "news"?

October 15, 2009 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  8. Lance Coardill

Funny she should be reading about Andy Warhol. Her 15 minutes of fame expired about 2 years ago. And this is newsworthy how? Why? I just returned from Budapest and most Hungarians laugh at us for our attention to this drivel. That CNN attends to it as well should make us all very worried.

October 15, 2009 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  9. Potomac Wonderfool

Everyone has a right to be casual, have fun and appear in public in acceptable public norm. One does not have to live by standards of decency defined by some prudes. What then is the difference between the Saudi/Taliban and us? I don't follow Twitter and i am not a Meghan McCain fan. But I respect her right to be what she enjoys doing and I do not think less of Meghan.

October 15, 2009 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  10. fhjetta

Hopefully she will be gone soon and take her father with her. We don't need to hear any more from either.

October 15, 2009 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  11. buckwheat

McCain, like most of the majority of Americans either do not have control of their offspring, or think that it is normal for the times.It is another sign of Liberalism . If you think it is bad now wait till these spoiled brats start paying the taxes we are about to endure.

October 15, 2009 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  12. Carter

Please Meghan, grow up! ...and just go away.

October 15, 2009 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  13. Lori

I wish Meghan McCain would just go away already. She's pathetic and an embarrassment to smart women everywhere. As a Repbulican, I just want to say "Meghan, please get off our side."

October 15, 2009 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  14. DJ in TX

Meghan, continue to speak your mind. I thought the GOP was all for "individual freedoms". This young lady was at home lounging around. Was she totally naked? Doesn't sound like it. If people would put more energy to helping as they did criticizing every little thing someone does, we'd be much better off. Why are always trying to tear someone down vs lifting them up? You can disagree without trying to demonize someone.

October 15, 2009 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  15. Richie

Twitter was stupid before Meghan joined and it will be just as stupid after she leaves. Why anyone would want to subject themselves to constant judgment by unseen idiots is beyond me.

October 15, 2009 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  16. Patrick

We are surprised?

October 15, 2009 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  17. carlo

I'm a Democrat, but come on! The girl is well endowed, and she's young. She can wear a tank top. She's not an elected official.

Republicans keep acting like this and they're going to go the way of the Whigs.

October 15, 2009 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  18. Ajay Jain, Garland, TX, USA

Oh my Gosh! People like GW Bush are "thinking" of joining Twitter and Meghan McCain with 60,000 followers is thinking of quitting Twitter!

Something is wrong with this picture!!!

October 15, 2009 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  19. Oy Vey

Meghan is a saucy young American woman with her own mind and other great attributes.

If you all are in such a twitter over this innocent photo then you must be one of those folks sitting around waiting for the rapture.

Personally I think Meghan's playfulness has supplied plenty of rapture for today.

You go girl.

October 15, 2009 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  20. TangledThorns

I'm not a Twitter fan, Facebook is way better. Meghan is hot, nuff said!

October 15, 2009 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  21. Pat in Omaha

It's not what you wear or don't wear that makes you less respected! Your language shows a limited command of English!
    My students know that falling into the use of four letter words is an indication that intelligence is lacking...get a thesaurus and find some descriptive words that don't have to be bleeped out!
    And face it...you love the attention...immature people want attention even if it is negative!

October 15, 2009 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  22. Fred in Illinois

If she were the daughter of John Kerry, Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi, or had the word Kennedy attached to her name the left would be screaming "What's the big deal?"

Who cares about the photo? People need to grow up.

October 15, 2009 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  23. TLDSR

The Republican Party is a disgrace and an abomination. There is something putrid about these guys and gals. The Republican Parties of past decades did not make me want to shower after I hear or see them speak on issues. I think it may have started with the Newt Gingrich Crew a few years back.

October 15, 2009 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  24. Maria H

Would Twitter be any worse without Meghan McCain? Really....

October 15, 2009 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  25. Karen

Sorry dude, but you couldn't tell that your boobs were popping out of your shirt? Come on, feign something else.

October 15, 2009 10:44 am at 10:44 am |