October 15th, 2009

Meghan McCain runs into backlash over photograph

Meghan McCain says she's ready to quit twitter after a photograph she posted caused a wave of criticism

(CNN) Meghan McCain says she's ready to quit Twitter all together after generating a wave of criticism from users of the popular social networking site Wednesday night for posting a picture of herself in a tank top that left little to the twitterverse's imagination.

The controversy began quietly enough when McCain, the vocal daughter of the former Republican presidential candidate, tweeted that her self described "spontaneous" night in included reading a biography of the iconic artist Andy Warhol and ordering takeout.

It was there the 24-year old McCain posted the photo of herself wearing a tank top that generated the subsequent controversy .

The photograph apparently generated a string of negative responses, leading McCain to weigh in 15 minutes later: "so I took a fun picture not thinking anything about what I was wearing but apparently anything other than a pantsuit and I am a slut."

"This is why I have been considering deleting my twitter account," McCain, with close to 60,000 followers, continued in another tweet, "what once was fun now just seems like a vessel for harassment."

Fifteen minutes later, McCain weighed in again, tweeting, "When I am alone in my apartment, I wear tank tops and sweat pants, I had no idea this makes me a slut", I can't even tell you how hurt I am."

An hour later, the prolific tweeter said her decision was nearly made: "ok I am getting the f**k off twitter, promise not to delete my account until I sleep on it, thank you for the nice words supporters."

But McCain did make one final tweet before the evening came to a close, posting a link to her latest column for the Web site The Daily Beast.

Filed under: Meghan McCain • Popular Posts • Twitter
  1. disgusted

Good grief. Small minds.

October 15, 2009 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  2. David

Meghan McCain is one of the few sane Republicans left (okay, she's not an elected official but...). People jump all over her for posting a picture of herself that shows some cleavage. Wow. These people desperately need lives. In my opinion, the picture isn't anything more than you might see in a magazine advertisement. It's a good photo of her.

October 15, 2009 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  3. Travis In Colorado

Hi Meghan, I never saw the pics because I'm not on twitter, but you are not a slut, you are all class! I've always admired you and I respect you. Don't let these chinless virgins who still live with mommy and daddy get you down, you have to be better than they are. Hope your days goes great!

Travis

October 15, 2009 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  4. jaye

WHO cares!!!!
    She is just another airheaded rich girl that wants to dabble in politics.
    Why does anyone even pay attention to her political views....she's just another joe the plumber type that the desperate republicans hitch their desperate wagon to.

October 15, 2009 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  5. John H-town

yes you need to reflect on this. take some time out

October 15, 2009 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  6. danielle

I love reading your twitter Meghan, I'm a big fan! Don't delete it (or let petty comments get to you) One of the reasons I admire you is because you are so strong and independent...don't let a few words get you down. You are so beautiful and smart! Keep on doing your thing girl!

October 15, 2009 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  7. Ummm, yeah

I always thought that McCain was hot, but this pic is Grrrreat. Looks like she could work in few different industries and still make some loot.

October 15, 2009 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  8. Derek from Medford, MA

There's barely anything wrong with that photo. Is a very pretty photo. The people causing a stink over it are the real boobs.

October 15, 2009 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  9. Emma

What Meagan was wearing was not offensive to me. I was not not impressed with the mouth tape and the elephant.

October 15, 2009 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  10. Jay T.

No one who reads Andy Warhol in the near nude can possibly be a Republican...except maybe Dennis Hopper...but, he's crazy. So which is it, Megan- closet Democrat or mad(wo)men.

October 15, 2009 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  11. carlos, That one

without a doubt it had to be the CONS ervative loons who humiliated this girl, satanic bastards, well, I guess they have been called so many names that they are already used to it

October 15, 2009 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  12. Alan

As an admirer of Ms. McCain, but not of the concept of tweeting, I believe that Meghan may have (re)discovered what past generations already learned to appreciate – the value of privacy. I do not understand people like the Gosselins, who decided to live what should have been a private homelife in the public eye. The concept of being famous simply for seeking fame seems so empty. Meghan would serve herself better by becoming known through her achievements, and then enjoying the occasional quiet night to herself - alone!

October 15, 2009 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  13. MD

Unfortunately I think our children will have to learn some very hard lessons about privacy and how important it can be from using Twitter, Facebook, MySpace, etc., Sorry her feelings got hurt be this is a lesson learned. Hope other young people are taking note.

October 15, 2009 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  14. Bob

Does wearing anything but a pant suit make you a slut? No, but being in such an intense spotlight it might be prudent to review some of the self portraits before posting them on such a widely viewed forum, one in which both your critiques and fans have access. Some may argue she has the freedom of expression to look how ever she wants, thats fine, just dont get upset if people use their freedom of expression to voice their own opinions. Sounds to me like she is more concerned with what people think, not her right to expression.

October 15, 2009 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  15. Lilarose in Bandon, OR

Twitter must be a total waste of time. Don't you kids have more important things to do with your lives?

What would your parents or grandparents be doing instead?

October 15, 2009 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  16. David S

Meghan McCain is not hold any public office. She is an intelligent, attractive woman who happens to have a father who is in public office. To chastise her for wearing what any other attractive woman her age would wear and being photographed in it is ridiculous. Nothing tacky about it. Leave her alone.

October 15, 2009 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  17. Ellen Smithee

Be strong, Meghan, against those judgmental buttheads!
    Who cares what these hypocritical Christian Right has to say!
    You can dress how you wish and take a picture of it.
    If they don't like it, they can drop off your Friends list, and you will not have lost much!

October 15, 2009 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  18. FactCheck

Seriously? You wing-nut worship a ditz whose first child was conceived out of wedlock and whose grandkid will be born out of wedlock, yet lord help Meghan should she wear a tank top, right? No wonder only 21% of the population aligns with you.

October 15, 2009 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  19. Jerry

And then all the jealous ugly liberal girls began to bash her , Must be Sarah Palin syndrome.

October 15, 2009 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  20. sean

I don't see the big deal with this photo.She's a fantastic looking woman.

I see far more racey images than this on televison and billboards everyday.

If anything, Victorias Secret and Sports Illustrated should be signing her up for million dollar contracts.

October 15, 2009 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  21. Diane

Come on, people. GROW UP!!!

October 15, 2009 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  22. Duck Fallas

What a dirty bird. Family values akin to the Palins.

GOP = white trash

October 15, 2009 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  23. Mad Cow

If she wants to represent and be a social conservative, Meghan needs to learn that she has to play by their rules and not appear to be a tramp.

Ms. McCain, despite her name and lineage, has not earned the God-given social conservative right to proclaim, "Do as I say, not do as I do." I mean, look how long it took Mark Saford to reach that level.

October 15, 2009 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  24. markus

Meghan, c'mon over to the Democrats.

we don't care what you wear, just as long as you're there... :)

October 15, 2009 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  25. AGirl

She's an idiot. As if she didn't know exactly what she was doing. She really needs to go away and grow up.

October 15, 2009 10:57 am at 10:57 am |