October 15th, 2009

Meghan McCain runs into backlash over photograph

Meghan McCain says she's ready to quit twitter after a photograph she posted caused a wave of criticism

(CNN) Meghan McCain says she's ready to quit Twitter all together after generating a wave of criticism from users of the popular social networking site Wednesday night for posting a picture of herself in a tank top that left little to the twitterverse's imagination.

The controversy began quietly enough when McCain, the vocal daughter of the former Republican presidential candidate, tweeted that her self described "spontaneous" night in included reading a biography of the iconic artist Andy Warhol and ordering takeout.

It was there the 24-year old McCain posted the photo of herself wearing a tank top that generated the subsequent controversy .

The photograph apparently generated a string of negative responses, leading McCain to weigh in 15 minutes later: "so I took a fun picture not thinking anything about what I was wearing but apparently anything other than a pantsuit and I am a slut."

"This is why I have been considering deleting my twitter account," McCain, with close to 60,000 followers, continued in another tweet, "what once was fun now just seems like a vessel for harassment."

Fifteen minutes later, McCain weighed in again, tweeting, "When I am alone in my apartment, I wear tank tops and sweat pants, I had no idea this makes me a slut", I can't even tell you how hurt I am."

An hour later, the prolific tweeter said her decision was nearly made: "ok I am getting the f**k off twitter, promise not to delete my account until I sleep on it, thank you for the nice words supporters."

But McCain did make one final tweet before the evening came to a close, posting a link to her latest column for the Web site The Daily Beast.

Filed under: Meghan McCain • Popular Posts • Twitter
  1. Ohio Man

Well heck, I wear fuzzy lion slippers..lol

October 15, 2009 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  2. artc

Mehgan is the only republican worth anything and here they are, knocking her for what they claim is loose morals. In acuality it's these false Christian types who throw stones. These morons are the farthest thing from true Christianity there is. They carry jesus on their sleeves and then behind closed doors and in the deep recesses of their souls they commit sin. God bless the Republican conservative party!

October 15, 2009 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  3. GM from MN

I hope she gets into politics.

She's the only Republican that seems to actually understand what the party's principles stand for.

October 15, 2009 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  4. Ken H.

Since when is it a controversy that a girl in a tank top snapping a photo of themselves wrong? She is an attractive girl and showed nothing more than some cleavage. I've seen worse from Hollyweird actors.

October 15, 2009 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  5. Reagan was wrong

I like Meghan, but if she's going to be throwing her opinions out there, she's gotta develop a much, much, much tougher skin.

October 15, 2009 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  6. Greg C.

I have two daughters in college, by now they now what social networking sites mean relative to your image good/bad. Any excuse Meghan has is weak at best; she knows better. Bottom line, she should be mature enough to know the implications of such a medium and the reality of being a reflection on your family, good or bad. I see it all too common from the more liberally educated "intellectuals" that feel they have a right to say/do what ever they wish without any consequence; they leave common sense at the door of these institutions. They have to learn the hard way. Despite the hard lesson learned, she will still have to deal the downstream consequences; a bitter pill. Hopefully our kids will learn before they destroy their image or harm that of their own family. At least John won't stone her to death.

October 15, 2009 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  7. johnrj08

Meghan got a taste of the puerile, prudish, and generally hypocritical attitude that is so prevalent in the Republican Party today. Wonder if she's smart enough to figure that out.

October 15, 2009 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  8. Rose

Okay, so she has breasts. What's the big deal? Geez! I sometimes wear tanks to bed and guess what? They do squeeze one's breasts. It happens. But in a way, I'm not shocked that Megan is finding it hard to be fully accepted by her Republican fans. They do tend to be very narrow-minded. Thank God I'm not a Republican. :)

October 15, 2009 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  9. lisa

Megan, you see if you were a Liberal, and on our side we wouldn't say a thing about a harmless picture of you in a tank top.

But....because you choose to be on the side of the "family Values' party, they are all going to go ape sh!t. Now to them, this makes you are dirty girl.
    So get smart and realise you are on the nut case side. They will never forgive you, and on the other hand we think there is nothing to forgive.

October 15, 2009 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  10. anti-GOP

Well, maybe this will encourage people to think about what they post about themselves online.

I'm no fan of the GOP party, but cut the girl some slack.

It would be interesting to see what those that slammed her have on THEIR profiles (better think about getting out of that glass house)

October 15, 2009 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  11. Joseph B

This was obviously a post for attention (not a bad thing). She is getting attention. We do not always get the type of attention we want.

October 15, 2009 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  12. Diana

Welcome to the conservative world. I bet they were all right wingers who complained about what you do in the privacy of your own home.

October 15, 2009 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  13. Aaron

This is news? When did CNN become People Magazine?

October 15, 2009 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  14. Dem For Meghan

Meghan PLZ don't Quit!!!

October 15, 2009 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  15. Felipe Garcia

This is why Fox News' Ratings are higher. Thank you for proving my point.

October 15, 2009 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  16. scott from michigan

I bet most of the negative tweets were from the conservatives, they have no sense of what "fun" is.

October 15, 2009 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  17. Mike J.

You are just another conservative women who lacks common sense and intelligence!

October 15, 2009 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  18. Nan

The pic isnt all that big a deal.....but did she get her potty mouth from her mother or her father...that makes you look even worse.

October 15, 2009 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  19. Mike

Gee whiz, does there always have to be some uptight busybody to spoil the party? These folks should turn their judgemental eye to the do-nothing politics of the Republican party and leave Meghan alone.

October 15, 2009 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  20. ThinkAgain

I think Meghan should consider quitting the GOP. They are such a narrow-minded, unforgiving, hypocritical group of people! Oh, yeah, and they're "Christian," too.

October 15, 2009 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  21. John Adams

Jealous for Popularity and Money Hungry, Sue Happy, Mishap Average Americans all in a race to try and tear something down. I don't blame her for the way she reacted. I'd be very angry too if someone started tearing me down just because of a picture. America needs to get their heads out of the gutter and focus on the real point of things. It's sad that uncommon sense has taken over these days.

October 15, 2009 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  22. me

Okay people, get a grip, she is 24 years old and she is not the person who ran for president. Give her a break. It's Twitter, it's not official it's a place for people to rant, rave, add comments, whatever.

October 15, 2009 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  23. Geo

I'm amazed that anyone would criticize a Republican for what she/he wears. After all, isn't it Republican-oriented Fox News that features fleshy titillation on its dot-com cover every day?! I thought Republicans loved to feature flesh. Maybe Fox will feature Meghan' "biki-bod" someday soon - then it will be okay.

October 15, 2009 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  24. John

Good, quit Twitter....what a stupid fad and service that is, only used by marketing people thinking anyone cares what they say.

October 15, 2009 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  25. Laurie in Spokane

Who cares what she's wearing? More to the point, who cares what her opinions are on anything? People – get a life!

October 15, 2009 11:11 am at 11:11 am |