October 15th, 2009

Meghan McCain runs into backlash over photograph

Meghan McCain says she's ready to quit twitter after a photograph she posted caused a wave of criticism

(CNN) Meghan McCain says she's ready to quit Twitter all together after generating a wave of criticism from users of the popular social networking site Wednesday night for posting a picture of herself in a tank top that left little to the twitterverse's imagination.

The controversy began quietly enough when McCain, the vocal daughter of the former Republican presidential candidate, tweeted that her self described "spontaneous" night in included reading a biography of the iconic artist Andy Warhol and ordering takeout.

It was there the 24-year old McCain posted the photo of herself wearing a tank top that generated the subsequent controversy .

The photograph apparently generated a string of negative responses, leading McCain to weigh in 15 minutes later: "so I took a fun picture not thinking anything about what I was wearing but apparently anything other than a pantsuit and I am a slut."

"This is why I have been considering deleting my twitter account," McCain, with close to 60,000 followers, continued in another tweet, "what once was fun now just seems like a vessel for harassment."

Fifteen minutes later, McCain weighed in again, tweeting, "When I am alone in my apartment, I wear tank tops and sweat pants, I had no idea this makes me a slut", I can't even tell you how hurt I am."

An hour later, the prolific tweeter said her decision was nearly made: "ok I am getting the f**k off twitter, promise not to delete my account until I sleep on it, thank you for the nice words supporters."

But McCain did make one final tweet before the evening came to a close, posting a link to her latest column for the Web site The Daily Beast.

Filed under: Meghan McCain • Popular Posts • Twitter
  1. bob in LA

Meghan- you have learned the pitfalls of celebrity.
    The saddest thing is, its probably the people that agree with many of your political views that are judging you.
    This is why moderate Democrats- not just the far left- feel the way we do about Republicans. They feel they have the last word on every aspect of our our lives while believing the government should stay out of it. In reality- it should be the reverse. Our government is there ti help us-not control us.
    Wear what you want and please continue your rational take on politics. You're a refreshing take on the GOP.

October 15, 2009 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  2. Milt R

YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME...She has on a tank top. I can't believe people are giving her grief about this. Not to mention people go out in way less and it doesn't make the front of CNN...For HEAVEN'S SAKE LEAVE THE GIRL ALONE ! !

We post a picture of our President with his shirt off and it's ok...she has a tank top on and the world act's like she's swinging from a stripper pole...some of you need to get a grip

October 15, 2009 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  3. Patrick

Good lord, give the girl a break...geeze.

October 15, 2009 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  4. Dave

So what?

October 15, 2009 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  5. Jackie in Dallas

What goes out into the cyberworld doesn't go away, Meghan. Something that more people need to think about. I doubt most people really think you are less than you are because of a single photo. I didn't vote for your dad, but you don't deserve to reap the fruits of what he sowed during the campaign...and I get a feeling that a lot of the negatives were just that.

Just remember that deleting your account won't make the picture or the contraversy go away. It will just move through the digital underground. Keep it where you can keep an eye on it, and think twice before posting more pix!

October 15, 2009 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  6. Mike S

McCain is definitely someone who could use some 'think-it-over-time' between thinking something and then sharing it with the world. No one cares what you wear at home – but if you post a picture of it on the internet, it's no longer "you alone in your apartment".

I haven't seen the picture, and don't really care what she posts, the lady is really light on logic.

October 15, 2009 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  7. rkm

Meghan's constant whining is just further proof, she is a RINO.

October 15, 2009 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  8. New Yorker

When you make a photo of yourself public it's no longer just you in your apartment. She would be wise to get off twitter if she hasn't figured that one out yet.

October 15, 2009 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  9. Karen

She has had her fifteen minutes of fame...........get a life Meghan!

October 15, 2009 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  10. KK

Just like Palin, when you heat things up you quit and run rather than face the wrong you did.

October 15, 2009 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  11. john

Where do they get these people? Obsessive compulsive half-wits who crave media attention so much that they will do or say any stupid thing that comes into their heads. And the media falls all over themselves to report everything these idiots do because they are famous (in their own minds) or related or involved with someone famous. I think this whole reality (and twitter) thing has gone way too far. People like McCain don't affect normal peoples lives in any way so why don't we just ignore them. If she can't cope with life and reality then maybe she needs psychiatric help and maybe her father needs some help also, after all his campaign picked Sarah Palin!

October 15, 2009 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  12. single mom

This is insane. I've seen the picture.
    People, back off and get a life. She's twenty-four, for crying out loud!
    So many idiots out there.

October 15, 2009 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  13. Matt from Toronto

I'm not a Republican... I'm not even American.. I am a socialist, but I won't deny that Meghan McCain is very fine. That, and she is a reasonable nice woman! Silly conservatives getting all riled up over a picture which, on the internet, is pretty mild mannered.

October 15, 2009 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  14. Ed Tallahassee

It's a little sexier picture then you are use to seeing of Meghan, but come on.

October 15, 2009 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  15. Sick of It

She has boobs – big deal. Its the people that have a problem with her picture that need help. No one forced them to look at the picture.

October 15, 2009 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  16. WhoCares?

Women really wear incredible push up bras when at home lounging?

That can't be comfortable.

Nothing wrong with a woman showing her wares though...or all clothes would be shapeless bags.

October 15, 2009 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  17. Mike

This should be the definition of a non-story. It was reported elsewhere that she has released an apology, but for what? She is wearing a tank top that pushes her breasts together (but is in no way obscene) while holding a book...I see worse with middle school girls. Anyone who was actually offended by this has much bigger issues.

October 15, 2009 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  18. brian

I've seen the picture – is this a joke. I guess she could have created a sex tape like so many other "models", however this picture is nothing. I think a 24 years old simply having fun should be encouraged, not complained about. Hopefully she continues her twitter, creates a facebook page and considers herself a "maverick". If everyone else can't live with her decision and her looks, tell them they can shove it.

October 15, 2009 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  19. Brian

This isn't news CNN you should be ashamed and the person who put this up needs to be fired. This is not a news station. This is a bunch of gossip. You make fun of FOX, the most watched news station, for not reporting news and then you put this garbage up. I am truly dissapointed by your lack of class.

October 15, 2009 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  20. yuri

The revolutionary daughter of John McCain has stolen the lime light again. At least she seems like a breath of fresh air, as a striking contrast to the bigots and demagogues of the intensely Machiavellian GOP. The GOP's cantankerous character has come under fire recently, and we were wonderin' where Meghan was for some time.

October 15, 2009 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  21. Kevin

What do these so called celebrities, sports stars, musicians think is going to happen when you make posts on what you are doing? This Twitter is just a means for haters to hate on you.

It does not matter if you are a moron republican or a liberal socialist democrat. Twitter allows people to hate you and the person sending the tweet has nobody to blame but THEMSELVES. This is what happens when you allow the world to peek into your life. You deserve the hate.

October 15, 2009 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  22. Margaret

Meghan McCain needs help, seriously. (I wonder if she knows that?)

This kid is showing definitive signs of being ignored by her parents. There is nothing she won't do for attention and adoration.

Seems like a nice girl, but having famous parents is no excuse for embarrassing public behavior, but certainly explains it.

Good luck, Meghan.

October 15, 2009 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  23. Roger

It was just a matter of time before the little darling done something to offend her right wingnuts.....I am just surprised that it took this long, it usually does not take much.....look at the right wingnuts in SC who gave Senator Graham fits in his town hall meeting earlier this week because they think he is not conservative enough for them....when watching these wingnuts on TV you can see the anger & hate on their faces & most do not have a clue of what they are mad about or have been told a lies & become enraged....I knew that Meghan was too liberal for the GOP it was just a matter of time.....

October 15, 2009 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  24. KC

That pic was the best thing to come from the GOP in years!

October 15, 2009 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  25. Ray

Why is this on CNN's Political Ticker? Slow news day?

October 15, 2009 11:30 am at 11:30 am |