October 15th, 2009

On New Orleans visit, Obama tells critics, 'I'm just getting started'

President Obama speaks at a town hall meeting at the University of New Orleans on Thursday.

NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana (CNN) - Before a cheering crowd at a town hall meeting in New Orleans, President Obama fired back at critics who accuse him of accomplishing little in his nine months in office, saying "I'm just getting started."

"I never thought any of this was going to be easy," said Obama, speaking at the University of New Orleans in his first visit to the Gulf Coast city since taking office. He poked fun at his critics, asking, "Why haven't you solved world hunger yet? It's been nine months. Why?"

"What'd I say during the campaign? I said change is hard," Obama said. "Big change is harder. ... I wasn't kidding about it being hard."

"Those folks who are trying to stand in the way of progress ... let me tell you, I'm just getting started," he said. "I don't quit. I'm not tired. I'm just getting started."

Full story

Filed under: Hurricane Katrina • New Orleans • President Obama
  1. ThinkAgain

As Obama proved during the campaign, he can go the distance. He hasn't given up on the American people and will work hard every day through his second term to make a better tomorrow for all of us a reality.

Keep up the good work, Mr. President!

October 15, 2009 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  2. shawn- ga

He has done nothing with the Majority he has had for 9 months... You can not blame the rep party for anythign They do not have the power to stop him.

What is going to happen in 2010 when he loses that Majority (and he will face it)

he will spend 2010 until 2012 campaining and still getting nothing done. Then if there iss till enough blind sheep to somehow get him elected again (I can't see how but it happned once already) then God help us all because he will do whatever he wants from 2012 to 2016 I am scared for real for my children

October 15, 2009 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  3. RCasson

Even a child can sense the hate. How sad that is. God Bless you Mr. President. We're still with you.

October 15, 2009 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  4. Shaman

Obama is "just getting started" in his new quest to the process of blaming the "problems" that he promised as the justification for not being able to solve the "problems". Clever sophistry that essentially enables him to weasel out of his many broken promises, not one of which has been kept..............

The Republicans will take over Congress in 2010 and then spend the next two years destroying the credibility of the Democrats, who will be destroyed by the ineffective leadership of Obama.

On Obama: "He's no Reagan"

October 15, 2009 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  5. DJ

If he's just getting started, we're all in trouble

October 15, 2009 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  6. Michael M, Phoenix AZ

Look people, it is 4 years since Katrina and the Bush people didn't get squawk accomplished in New Orleans, and there is still empty space where the Twin Towers stood, even after all the hoopla from the Republicans in Washington and NYC (Rudy G.) to rebuild...You can't expect miracles overnight you know.

October 15, 2009 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  7. Larry

I love this guy !!!!

Best man we have EVER seen in the Oval office

YES WE CAN ... even if you try to stop us ... YES WE CAN

October 15, 2009 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  8. Dan, TX

Big talk from a joker. I think he should change is tone.. He sounded like a dictator or perhaps Ahmedinejad..

October 15, 2009 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  9. Blue

Thank you Mr. President, our country needs this optimism right now. I believed that you could, and I still believe that. You have just started. Thank Goodness!!!!!

October 15, 2009 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  10. Concerned

Go get then them Pres. Let the Republicans implode as it is a long time coming.

Not one Republican post the failed policies of Bush, nor the total waste of trillions due to his illegal invasion of Iraq.

October 15, 2009 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  11. Steve, Mn

A firsthand look at what he plans to turn the rest of America in to.

October 15, 2009 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  12. NOT THE KINDA GUY TO SAY I TOLD YOU SO, BUT I TOLD YOU SO

Hes just gettin started! It took him 10 months to get started! Im happy, since he is a 1 term wonder( if he dont get impeached or charged with treason) it will keep the damage to a minimum. Dont try to act like a tough guy Obama. Your a typical liberal punk. Your a joke! Thats why the taliban is eatin you up. Instead of goin to New Orleans, maybe you shoulb be giving the order to send 60,000 troops to afghanistan. Youll never win Louisiana in an election, but youd probably would win the southern afghan provinces if they could vote in our elections.

October 15, 2009 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  13. lyn

I am so proud of our President, when he said Bobby Jandal name the boos that came out from the people, our President had to stop the boos, we all know that Bobby did very little to help the people in Louisiana and he deserve the boos from those people.

October 15, 2009 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  14. Deb n Texas

Go Obama, you told it like it was in New Orleans. Kathy Landrieu in Louisiana needs to wake up and smell the COFFEE. Louisiana is among the three MOST POVERISHED STATES in the UNITED STATES and LANDRIEU will probably not vote on a PUBLIC OPTION – that is RIDICULOUS. Landrieu appears to be just like John Breaux was A REPUBLICAN IN DISQUISE!

October 15, 2009 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  15. johnnie w

And you can take that to POLLS ,and the VOTING booths across the Country President Obama, there has been no one to STOP , your UNSTOPPABLE. The GOP/RNC are going to left in the DUST, when this DYNAMIC President gets his FULL AGENDA ACROSS to the American People. And your UNBEATABLE as well . We are FORTUNATE as a NATION ,for a President that says I DONT QUIT, you got that Sara Palin?

October 15, 2009 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  16. Joe Fattal

Maybe he just started to find out what happened to the people of New Orleans during Katrina. He wasn't hardly known then.

October 15, 2009 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  17. Alan

Ahhh yes. And I'll bet all the bad mouthers here just LOVE Sarah - who walked off her job because she couldn't take the heat of being governor of the least populace state in our nation. Yet you criticize Obama for fighting back at your outright lies.

It's ok. He IS just getting started. None of us is going to like everything he does. But I am convinced he's going to do what he set out to do in the time given him, with or without your loud, stupid, constant opposition.

Get used to it.

October 15, 2009 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  18. Perusing-through

President Obama: "I'M JUST GETTING STARTED".

Please Mr. President, can you repeat it again for all those idiots who said nothing as Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, Rove and the Republican Party ran amuck thereby helping to usher in the current disaster national disaster. Say it again for all the idiots on this posting who don't understand how "8-YEARS" of Bush & Cheney and a GOP lead congress nearly destroyed this nation, and how it will take more than a few months of President Obama leadership before the nation to begin to see daylight.

October 15, 2009 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  19. Doug

More politics from the white house, did not think he went all the way one time to New Orleans to repeat this, but he did. The Obama Administration is so isolated with President Obama in the center. Yes people, men and women spin around him shouting yes we can. He yells back that he is fighting the Status Quo, you know who that is.
    President Obama is the new Status Quo, and I helped put him there.
    I am sorry his teleprompter does not do anything but politics.

October 15, 2009 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  20. Joan

It is time for the Republican leaders to stop the continuous whining and criticizing and try to win back some of the respect they are losing every day with their negativity. The two Republicans who criticized Pres. Obama's visit for being too short should read how many times top members of his administration have been there and how much has been accomplished in the last eight months. They have NO room to criticize after the horrible response from the last administation for three years. The rhetoric and actions of the Republican spokesmen since Pres. Obama took over reminds me of the children's story "The Emperor's New Clothes". They seem to think they can say and do anything and no-one will see throught it. Well, everyone has seen through it and it is getting pretty tiresome.

October 15, 2009 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  21. Dennis

I'm surprised he went there. Louisiana is a "red" state.

October 15, 2009 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  22. AJ

Doesn't the dithering king think that the good folks in NO have waited long enough? It didnt take him long to give billions in foreign aid.

October 15, 2009 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  23. m smith

Great president. Too many wing nuts out there. Did'nt see the repos rushing to fix the mess

October 15, 2009 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  24. Bpin

I wanna be a rock star. Obama reminds me of a country preacher. His focus is to always get the congergation fired up instead of facing the ture facts. What is amazing to me is that he wants to act so quickly on some things and he talks about change, then he turns around and talks out of the other side of his mouth to say it is hard and will be slow. Mark my word, in 3 years BHO will still be blaming all of the problems on Bush, like it is important for him to remind us of how bad Bush was. Notice how he blamed his own slow response based upon the bold campaign promises he made of a quick response on Bush!!!

October 15, 2009 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  25. Nobel Prize for the Teleprompter!

Obama is truly pitiful - he sounds like a spoiled brat, as usual.

OMG - he's just "getting started"? What MORE can he destroy? Plenty, actually - and just watch it and continue to be silent, Liberals! When you come to your senses, it will be amost too late.

However, we conservatives WILL NOT be silent - and we'll fix this mess Obama is creating. Bank on it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 15, 2009 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |