October 15th, 2009

On New Orleans visit, Obama tells critics, 'I'm just getting started'

President Obama speaks at a town hall meeting at the University of New Orleans on Thursday.

NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana (CNN) - Before a cheering crowd at a town hall meeting in New Orleans, President Obama fired back at critics who accuse him of accomplishing little in his nine months in office, saying "I'm just getting started."

"I never thought any of this was going to be easy," said Obama, speaking at the University of New Orleans in his first visit to the Gulf Coast city since taking office. He poked fun at his critics, asking, "Why haven't you solved world hunger yet? It's been nine months. Why?"

"What'd I say during the campaign? I said change is hard," Obama said. "Big change is harder. ... I wasn't kidding about it being hard."

"Those folks who are trying to stand in the way of progress ... let me tell you, I'm just getting started," he said. "I don't quit. I'm not tired. I'm just getting started."

Full story

Filed under: Hurricane Katrina • New Orleans • President Obama
  1. m jeff

Yes we can, yes we will.

October 15, 2009 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  2. garys usually right

Please Mr. President, stop. stop before you bankrupt our country.

October 15, 2009 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  3. A 50-year Democrat no more. Now an independent with brains.

I'm glad your gonna start something. What has happened in the first 9 months of you leaning on your hoe. You still have 980% of the crop to chop.

October 15, 2009 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  4. doc mitch Rev Wright

Let us review the facts:
    Bush: Robert Gates, Ben Bernanke, Iraq War, Afgan War, Patriot Act
    multibillion dollar bank bailout.
    Obama: Robert Gates, Ben Bernanke, Iraq War, Afgan War, Patriot Act
    multibillion dollar bank bailout.

Seems to me the only major differences from 43 and 44 are in regards to stances on Domestic Policy. The vitriol and fake outrage from the right is completely unjustified and disgusting.

The veil has been lifted and the hypocrisy and bigotry of the Republicans is on display for the entire world to examine.

Republicans your chickens are coming home to roooooost.

October 15, 2009 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  5. jon

President Obama calls spending trillions of tax payers' dollars, "...just getting started"? Elections indeed have consequences.

October 15, 2009 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  6. BK

Obama's ratings are going down. Poll says he is losing indenpendents and educated Democrats. Its about time everyone figured out Obama is all talk.

October 15, 2009 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  7. FYDL

What's interesting here is that on the right, they appear to have facts but on the left, they tend to generalize more and do not back their opinions with facts. As an independent voter I cannot help but put more stock in the Republican's argument. I want to believe this Country has not made a grave mistake by electing Obama but the Dems need to be able to bring facts not generic statements. Where's the beef? Also, I find it shameful that Rush Limbaugh was denied the opportunity to invest in the St. Louis Rams due to inaccurate quotes (there I am looking for facts again). Has anyone seen the Rams record? They could do a lot worse than Rush. Also, the company that "dropped" Rush is SCP Worldwide. Look em up... do you see any blcks on their board of directors? Kinda ironic isn't it?

October 15, 2009 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  8. Jon Krieger

"I'm just getting started running up federal debt!I'm just getting started winning awards and acclaim for not doing anything!I'm just getting started killing babies worldwide!I'm just getting started breaking promises!"Obama,just get started looking for a new job in 2012!

October 15, 2009 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  9. richard vadquez

All of our presidents critics have done nothing to support him and they never will. We all as Americans need to support our President.change is very hard to accept but it is very needed.I support OUR President and every american should as well.He has 8 years of a mess to clean up..God Bless The United States

October 16, 2009 01:03 am at 1:03 am |