October 16th, 2009

Meghan McCain: 'Don't call me a slut'

(CNN) - Meghan McCain is breaking her silence following a wave of media attention over a picture she posted on Twitter Wednesday night.

The revealing picture of herself in a tank top, which left little to the twitterverse's imagination, immediately drew harsh criticism from other tweeters, prompting an upset McCain to declare of the social networking Web site, "What once was fun now just seems like a vessel for harassment."

The 24-year old daughter of Arizona Sen. John McCain didn't address the matter in more detail on her twitter account Thursday, but in a new column on the Web Site The Daily Beast - entitled Don't Call Me a Slut - she lashes out at the national media's scrutiny of the whole flap.

Earlier: Meghan McCain runs into backlash over photograph

"I spent most of the next day thinking about what exactly was so shocking about the picture, why there was such an immediate and nasty overreaction," McCain writes. "After all, it's not like I was caught making a sex tape. I certainly didn't pose nude for Playboy. And I hadn't even exposed a nipple."

"To be honest, I don't feel that I have anything to feel ashamed of. I've always embraced my curves and will continue to do so," she added.

McCain also accuses the media of having a double standard, celebrating photos of attractive male congressmen with their shirts off while criticizing her.

Ultimately though, McCain says she's not ready to give up Twitter just yet. Rather, she says she'll just be "more judicious" in how she uses it.

Filed under: Meghan McCain • Popular Posts
  1. Kevin Denver Colorado

Don't worry Meghan........ I'd embrace your curves too!

October 16, 2009 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  2. Mark

poor Megan does she know the will be the liberal CNN's next Sara Palin?

October 16, 2009 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  3. Jane

If she resents the criticism she should get out of public view

October 16, 2009 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  4. katiec

CNN, why is this woman getting your attention and headlines?
    Is it because your beloved Palin has kept her mouth shut for
    awhile??

October 16, 2009 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  5. RCasson

I'm a Democrat who likes Meghan McCain, but her immaturity is showing. She is a beautiful girl with a nice figure, but a Senator and/or former Presidential candidate's daughter, should not be posting photos like that on twitter. Its not appropriate. And no, I'm not some hater. Like I said, she's beautiful and could possibly even make it as a model, but she should have expected this kind of backlash. And I didn't support McCain, but imagine how he feels knowing his daughter posted a photo like this for all the world to see? Young women need to think about these things. She is either very naive, or wanted people to spend hours talking about her breasts.

October 16, 2009 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  6. carlos, THAT one

it is not the press Ms. Mc Cain.......it is the the satanic republiCONS hiding behind their evil deeds.....go after their malicious, vile, rotten minds.....not the press, it reacted after all those amoral pieces of flesh called humans began to dehumanize you.......you should go ahead and show your picture to the world, and we, with the moral values will accept it, do not give in to their utter ignorance, that's why they are called REPUGNANTS

October 16, 2009 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  7. Marty, Grand Rapids Mi

Not News

October 16, 2009 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  8. scott in atlanta

So Now, can you answer your chairman's question…WHY ARE YOU A REPUBLICAN?

October 16, 2009 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  9. Doug, New Jersey

Megan, you are just as much a liberal as your father, drop the republican, and the liberal Democrats who are making sexist remarks against you now (supported by the group of the same name) that you want to have love you in Obama-Messiah fashion, will all fall in love with you if you say you are now a Democrat.

No true republican would care what evil, hate-filled, sexist liberal Democrats say, since you do, just like your leftist father, I suggest both of you join the Democrat shallow party.

October 16, 2009 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  10. Dean

Typical Republicans, Preaching and trying to empose their morals on everyone else while having affairs on the side themself

October 16, 2009 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  11. sameoldyellowdog

You go Meghan. I thought it was hot. Why don't you come over and join us democrats.....?

October 16, 2009 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  12. single mom

CNN, enough already! Unless and until Meghan McCain runs for office on her own, don't put her in the Ticker!

October 16, 2009 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  13. why O why

First you all love her and then you all hate her...

First you all hate her and then you all love her...

Life goes on for her.

October 16, 2009 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  14. JSilver2th

Come on- she's just trying out for a photo op with Levi Johnston.

October 16, 2009 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  15. wi liberal

Leave her alone! She is the only intelligent republican that I know!

October 16, 2009 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  16. Keeth in California

Who called you these names first? Your followers on Twitter. But now you're blaming the media? I had respect for you, Meghan, but now you've convinced me: Tweets are for twits.

October 16, 2009 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  17. Ted Tartaglia

The picture of Meghan shows that she is well endowed. The tank top was not cut excessively low and violated no dress standards that I am aware of. The top she was wearing can be seen on many young ladies on any street of any town is the United States. I fail to see the problem.

Perhaps Meghan's critics have something against attractive women or they hold compulsive puritanical beliefs or perhaps they are just hypocrites or maybe they are right-wing evangelical bigots.

Meghan has shown much more maturity than her critics. Leave the lady alone!

October 16, 2009 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  18. Carrie

The public should just get over it , and Meghan will be much more careful in the future, Just part of maturing .
    Personally I find Twitter a bit over the top , just a way of communicating about some really stupid stuff. I do not care if someone is on their way to a lunch date, the bathroom , to bed etc etc. I do have a twitter acct. but seldom use it . Most things are just plain silly, along with this .

October 16, 2009 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  19. Lynda

No not double standards......when you put yourself out there in the public then you are putting yourself up for Praise and Criticizing both......you either have to be big enough to brush off the criticizing and humble enough to receive the Praise.......you are starting to sound like Sarah Palin now........

October 16, 2009 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  20. Joe the carpenter Lex. Ky.

When will America grow up?

Her shot was not taste-less, I thought of it as rather artistic. I am a staunch independent, with liberal leaning views. I applaud Meghan for her ability to question the 'norm' of her party and of certain social stigmas, America needs more free(er) thinkers like Meghan. I really like this woman, she's 'real', I could see her mucking a stall in the morning and doing a formal dinner in the evening and neither one with pretense.

October 16, 2009 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  21. Ren from Baltimore

Meghan, they're just having fun with their own uptight-ness. It's a great kind of "come as you are" picture, nothing wrong at all, nothing you don't see in colleges, gyms, parks....every single day.

As for CNN's referring to the photo leaving "little to the imagination," well, let me say just the opposite, ok? You look happy in your skin, you seem very ok with spending the evening without a bunch of folks around, and maybe _that_ makes people jealous.

Enjoy you life! You don't get to do it over again!

October 16, 2009 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  22. Some republican guy

Meghan McCain is nice and curvy. Unlike those bony liberal obamabot women with their black clothes and Chay Guevaro t-shirts and buray hats and no makeup and hairy legs and no fat lattes. No wonder the narcisstic obamabot men are so grumpy all the time. Have a nice day!

October 16, 2009 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  23. Rob

I love boobs like the next guy, but someone in charge of these sorts of things should realize how myopic and inconsequential the news has gotten these days when this is a news item. Leave "news" about Twitter account controversies for the tabloid websites!

October 16, 2009 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  24. Mike in Fairfax

I can not speak for everyone, but I, Like Meghan, am proud of her curves!! She's gorgeous and she has nothing to apologize for.

October 16, 2009 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  25. Bananarama Victim II: Electric Boogaloo

Republicans,

This most certainly was not a measure of opposition from democrats. Being that the vast majority of Ms. McCain's twitter followers are Republicans, the comments were coming from her own kind. The puritanical, holier-than-thou crowd that insists we live life as they see fit. Not democrats, who are and have been historically behind EVERY womens' rights movement from the start.

You want to throw rocks, throw em' in your own house, you're clearly not using the windows anyway!

Ms. McCain don't quit twitter, quit the party of twits!

October 16, 2009 11:52 am at 11:52 am |