October 16th, 2009

Meghan McCain: 'Don't call me a slut'

(CNN) - Meghan McCain is breaking her silence following a wave of media attention over a picture she posted on Twitter Wednesday night.

The revealing picture of herself in a tank top, which left little to the twitterverse's imagination, immediately drew harsh criticism from other tweeters, prompting an upset McCain to declare of the social networking Web site, "What once was fun now just seems like a vessel for harassment."

The 24-year old daughter of Arizona Sen. John McCain didn't address the matter in more detail on her twitter account Thursday, but in a new column on the Web Site The Daily Beast - entitled Don't Call Me a Slut - she lashes out at the national media's scrutiny of the whole flap.

Earlier: Meghan McCain runs into backlash over photograph

"I spent most of the next day thinking about what exactly was so shocking about the picture, why there was such an immediate and nasty overreaction," McCain writes. "After all, it's not like I was caught making a sex tape. I certainly didn't pose nude for Playboy. And I hadn't even exposed a nipple."

"To be honest, I don't feel that I have anything to feel ashamed of. I've always embraced my curves and will continue to do so," she added.

McCain also accuses the media of having a double standard, celebrating photos of attractive male congressmen with their shirts off while criticizing her.

Ultimately though, McCain says she's not ready to give up Twitter just yet. Rather, she says she'll just be "more judicious" in how she uses it.

Filed under: Meghan McCain • Popular Posts
  1. justin

Enough with this idiot. Is this what CNN is really about?

October 16, 2009 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  2. Alexander Reyes

Dear Ms. McCain,

The flap over your recent Twitter photo has little to do with the national media and everything to do with the Puritan ethics still held by too many members of your Republican Party. That those ethics have been exposed over and over again through the years as utterly hypocritical (see the last several sex scandals suffered by the leaders of the Republican righteous) is obvious to all Americans. I hope that the Republican Party's utter corruption will soon become obvious to you, and that you will enjoy the growing millions of your fellow Americans who realize that their own ethics are best un-compromised by declaring themselves as independents (or, in my home state of California, as "Decline to Staters")!

October 16, 2009 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  3. James A. Primrose

Who cares? She's 24. Last time I looked, that qualifies the person as an adult. Its her business. Why is it that every bored American – and there seems to be a lot of them – feels compelled to comment and preach about anything to do with sexual behavior, religion or gays/lesbians? Yet we could have a crisis of unmitigated proportions with another country and 90% of those commenters suddenly would have no opinion, couldn't voice an opinion, or wouldn't know where the crisis was. We are a nation whose popular priorities never cease to amaze me.

October 16, 2009 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  4. Ron Martin

Lighten up people. She is 24 years old. Her dad ran for president not her.

October 16, 2009 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  5. Kevbo74

Personally, I thought she looked hot!!!

October 16, 2009 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  6. bibek

Americans should go to Europe. That was nothing. Stop making a big fuss about small things like that. Grow up.

October 16, 2009 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  7. vette gal

Why is this even news? Kinda stretching to put something on the ticker CNN?

October 16, 2009 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  8. Matt in T.Dot

Not a fan of the GOP, but I'm a fan of Meghan. Intelligent, poignant, thought-provoking. To have to defend herself over these pics is ludicrous, and I think people are genuinely jealous that they aren't nearly as attractive as she is when she lounges in seats and tank tops. She should really just not even respond and move on. Intelligent people know this is absolute nonsense and have her back.

October 16, 2009 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  9. chris

I agree that you invite scrutiniy when you use your fathers popularity to gain fame. However it is disgusting to see CNN's one-sided coverage. Megan Mccains tank top picture showing cleavage warrants two days on the front page? Bristol Palin's baby daddy a regular on the front page? CNN is no better than Foxnews when it chooses to spend resources on this crap.

October 16, 2009 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  10. Mike

Do what you want and live your life to the fullest

October 16, 2009 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  11. "AnOldTexasLass"

What is with people anymore that they think they have to put somebody else down or try to degrade someone just to make themselves feel superior? There is no civility, there is no self control, there is no class or responsibility, there is no common sense.

For heaven sake, people, treat others the way you would want to be treated. Be a good example. It doesn't cost anything to be nice.

A wonderful man who was a famous professional musician once said to me when I inquired if it bothered him that people were interrupting our dinner & his personal time for autographs– "Nawww, without them, I wouldn't be able to enjoy the things I do. And it doesn't cost anything to be nice to people, and they'll always remember you for it." That last sentence has stuck with me for close to 40 years now, and it makes just as much sense today as it did back then.

Be nice to people!!!!

October 16, 2009 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  12. LacrosseMom(stuck in moderation)

Seriously........ Meghan is a young woman, young people make mistakes. Haven't y'all???

NO ONE is perfect. Good grief!

October 16, 2009 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  13. Ray

"...left little to the imagination"? Gimme a break, it was a picture of a woman in a tank-top. Get over it!

October 16, 2009 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  14. Him

This is silly. She is a woman. A pretty woman. She has breast, again – she is a WOMAN – she is SUPPOSED to have them. They are large. So. She is wearing an extremely common piece of clothing – a tank-top. So. It is absolutely incredible to me that people care this much about a completely appropriate Rated G pic; I mean this very seriously: Is there nothing better in your life to do or care about OTHER than this just-another-pic picture of someone. Sometimes I start to feel embarrassed for other people and their beliefs and behaviors.... after reading some of these posts, I am SOOOO happy I live in a well-educated, secular and down-to-earth environment surrounded by honest people with integrity and no false pride or opinion-based "intellect"....

If she was unattractive, this wouldnt be NEARLY as much of an issue. You have the mongrels on the feminists side, the deniers and on the religous kick and inferior psuedo-prudes that cover just about every criticziser, including the aforementioned.

October 16, 2009 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  15. mike

Why can't a republican be intelligent and smoking hot? Can't understand why people think what Megan did was inappropriate, this is a new world you idiots, love it or take a hike!

October 16, 2009 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  16. vic nashville , Tn

CNN please leave her alone

October 16, 2009 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  17. ronie patrick

Maybe Meghan this is a sign for you to just leave the Political scene and start enjoying your young life as a regular person doing regular things. You are really not welcome with some of your comments and that just make you a target for player haters to jump on you. You are beautiful, young and sometimes you can be smart but for the most part you usually put both feet in your mouth and place unattractive pictures and that make you a target for people to pick on you. You really put yourself in this position so deal with it. If I were you I would lay low and date enjoy your life and have fun and not be the voice of the Republican party for now. You don't know enough to be out front.

October 16, 2009 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  18. Uh.....

The pic is what it is..I could care less. But for her to act like she innocently posted the pic not expecting a reaction is insulting to people educated beyond the 3rd grade.

October 16, 2009 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  19. Alex

I agree with you Megan!

Unfortunately you are a face of the Republican party. A party of angry white men who want to put intelligent, beautiful outspoken women like yourself – and as they said about Speaker Pelosi – "in her place".

October 16, 2009 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  20. midwest liberal

In this time of very serious problems, it's a hilarious and yet very sad statement that people choose to focus on something so UNimportant as a picture of a woman in a tanktop. Will these same people protest the dress and objectification women in things like beer commercials? Music videos? Will they protest as loudly against the subjugation and outright torture of women in foreign cultures? Doubtful. That fact alone makes this supposed outrage even more pathetic, petty and insincere.

October 16, 2009 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  21. Brad

That's what you get when you broadcast pictures of yourself. I don't get how people can use Twitter/Facebook etc. and then get upset when people judge them? She wanted attention, she got it, now she's whining.

October 16, 2009 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  22. ronie patrick

By the way drop some weght. You are much to big for your arms to show and your age you look much older than you are. Cut your hair and tone yourself down and read some books and get yourself smart before you return to the scene. People make fun of you and that hurts even me.

October 16, 2009 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  23. Valerie R.

Oh come on!!!! She is 24 years old. Give her a little break.
    And why is it such a big deal, a young woman posting a photo?

October 16, 2009 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  24. Nick

The last time I was in Greece I remarked to my to my wife how much cleavage Greek women show compared to American women. She looked at me like I was an idiot and lectured me as to European women being proud of their bodies, while American women are afraid what other people think of their bodies. Good for Meghan, she obviously has a healthy dose of self esteem.

October 16, 2009 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  25. Matt

Meghan McCain is so hot. That picture wasn't even that bad.

October 16, 2009 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |