October 16th, 2009

Meghan McCain: 'Don't call me a slut'

(CNN) - Meghan McCain is breaking her silence following a wave of media attention over a picture she posted on Twitter Wednesday night.

The revealing picture of herself in a tank top, which left little to the twitterverse's imagination, immediately drew harsh criticism from other tweeters, prompting an upset McCain to declare of the social networking Web site, "What once was fun now just seems like a vessel for harassment."

The 24-year old daughter of Arizona Sen. John McCain didn't address the matter in more detail on her twitter account Thursday, but in a new column on the Web Site The Daily Beast - entitled Don't Call Me a Slut - she lashes out at the national media's scrutiny of the whole flap.

Earlier: Meghan McCain runs into backlash over photograph

"I spent most of the next day thinking about what exactly was so shocking about the picture, why there was such an immediate and nasty overreaction," McCain writes. "After all, it's not like I was caught making a sex tape. I certainly didn't pose nude for Playboy. And I hadn't even exposed a nipple."

"To be honest, I don't feel that I have anything to feel ashamed of. I've always embraced my curves and will continue to do so," she added.

McCain also accuses the media of having a double standard, celebrating photos of attractive male congressmen with their shirts off while criticizing her.

Ultimately though, McCain says she's not ready to give up Twitter just yet. Rather, she says she'll just be "more judicious" in how she uses it.

Filed under: Meghan McCain • Popular Posts
  1. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

She spent a day thinking about why the foto was not appropriate? What an airhead.

October 16, 2009 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  2. Ariana, VA

I like Megan, I think she's beautiful and intelligent. But she needs to admit it was an inappropriate picture to post. And she really shouldn't be surprised when her FELLOW Republicans call her demeaning names. It's what they do! I don't care how you dress at home, put the girls away please!

October 16, 2009 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  3. Ariana, VA

And when you're in the public eye, you're going to get criticized-not a big deal, get over it Megan.

October 16, 2009 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  4. Kate in San Diego

You keep doing exactly what you are doing and don't let anyone make you feel bad about it. I am a proud Democrat, but have a tremendous amount of respect for you. You are a smart woman with a great future ahead of you. I really wish you would come and play for our team!

October 16, 2009 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  5. Joseph B

If an attractive male congressman provided a zoomed in photo of his package in tight jeans, the media would be having a field day. Meghan need not be ashamed of the photo – she is just getting different attention than the type she wanted. That happens sometimes and being more judicious on Twitter will likely serve her well.

October 16, 2009 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  6. Jeff in Houston

Face it Megan. You are up against a crowd of sexually uptight, hypocritical moralists, that invokde the Bible only when it suits them. You are far more intelligent to be trying to make inroads with the Pig People. They will turn on you, as they have turned on anyone that does not follow the teachings de jure of their tired old men.

If you want to find a group of level headed progressives, give me a call.

October 16, 2009 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  7. Tosin

CNN...is this News? We should call CNN the new TMZ...this is why Ted Turner wants to return and put some brains into yah. Wheres the environmental news? the coal ash in west virginia...the deforestation, the populations, the algae under the sea...this is pure JUNK on a News Website

October 16, 2009 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  8. eolufemi

Generally, don't like republicans but the McCain raised a bright and responsible daughter. Hopefully, she'll use some of her celebrity to reign in the republican party. The right wing zealots are out of control.

October 16, 2009 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  9. Ken in NC

Megan, don't sweat it. While I do not agree with many of your political positions, I agree you have the right to post what does not appear to be distasteful pictures to your twitter account. I suspect the problem is probably jealously. Forget about it.

October 16, 2009 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  10. AEK

I think Ms. McCain may have been a bit naive to think posting that picture would not cause a certain amount of controversy. I will give her the benefit of the doubt and accept that it was an innocent mistake. That being said, I also think that all the mean spirited haters from both ends of the social and political spectrum need to get themselves a life. And to the ones using the "fat card", you are sick and are to blame for so many of the problems young men and women have to confront every day to fit into your amazingly narrow ideal of healthy body image.

October 16, 2009 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  11. JB - NYC

Just Shut Up!

October 16, 2009 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  12. bc

Young Ms. McCain is showing her immaturity. She needs to take responsibility for her poor judgement and quit shifting the blame to the media. She is the one who chose to post the "not for family viewing" picture.

October 16, 2009 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  13. Tony

Well that did not take long.

After trying to show she was a moderate and the Left jumped on it, she now finds herself in the same boat a Cindy Sheehan. The left will use you to promote thier agenda and the QUCIKLY dump you.

Congrats Mehgan. You've been punked!

October 16, 2009 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  14. Stacie

I'm sorry but she took the picture herself. She needs to be able to handle the response to it. Is that honestly how she walks around her apartment every day??? I personally think it is a publicity stunt!

October 16, 2009 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  15. Independent in IA

If it 'walks like....talks like....and looks like......" it probably is.

October 16, 2009 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  16. Four and The Door

Meghan has a great attitude. This is important and will serve her well going forward.

October 16, 2009 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  17. Bill

Ok, Meghan, we promise we won't.... but if the shoe fits.....

October 16, 2009 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  18. j

She is one of the few Republicans in the spotlight who`s values seems to have a resemblance to the GOP of old . The ones nowdays unfortunately seem to be bordering on the extreme right-wing. I`m a fiscally conservative with moderate social beliefs; ie. moderate Repub. -- Hang it there and don`t let the "holier than thou" crowd run you off.

October 16, 2009 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  19. Rich in Az

Spoiled little rich girl. Go away and take your old man with you. Both of you are irrelevant.

October 16, 2009 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  20. MIke Maz

OMG would you just come to the Dem side already. Why keep associating yourself with repressed rednecks. I saw the picture.. really people need to grow up. Dont back down Meghan!!!!!

October 16, 2009 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  21. Tom from Roch., NY

". . . immediately drew harsh criticism from other tweeters . . ."

More like drew harsh critism from twits! She's young, attractive, has a brain and a nice body. And, this is a problem?!?!?!

Why is this political news? Shouldn't CNN's political correspondents be hounding politicians!

October 16, 2009 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  22. Darth Vadik, CA

Oh for GOd's sake, leave her alone.
    So what if whe wants to show off occasionally, who cares, she'd a young woman in her 20's.
    Flaunt it while you've got it.

October 16, 2009 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  23. Matt

"Meghan McCain is breaking her silence"
    When was this girl ever silent? That would be worth a news story.

October 16, 2009 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  24. Jeff

Let's all judge her, just as Jesus would do!

October 16, 2009 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  25. Steve in CT

I classify myself an a conservitive independant, obliged to no party. I'm not offended by this photo nor am I aroused. Compaired with most other countries the US is prudish. But Americans are also holier-than- thou in image only. I wonder how many hits her site got after the word got out the photo was there. I'll bet most of the "prudes" that took a peek would say "It was only to see how discusting it is". C'mon now.

October 16, 2009 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |