October 16th, 2009

Meghan McCain: 'Don't call me a slut'

(CNN) - Meghan McCain is breaking her silence following a wave of media attention over a picture she posted on Twitter Wednesday night.

The revealing picture of herself in a tank top, which left little to the twitterverse's imagination, immediately drew harsh criticism from other tweeters, prompting an upset McCain to declare of the social networking Web site, "What once was fun now just seems like a vessel for harassment."

The 24-year old daughter of Arizona Sen. John McCain didn't address the matter in more detail on her twitter account Thursday, but in a new column on the Web Site The Daily Beast - entitled Don't Call Me a Slut - she lashes out at the national media's scrutiny of the whole flap.

Earlier: Meghan McCain runs into backlash over photograph

"I spent most of the next day thinking about what exactly was so shocking about the picture, why there was such an immediate and nasty overreaction," McCain writes. "After all, it's not like I was caught making a sex tape. I certainly didn't pose nude for Playboy. And I hadn't even exposed a nipple."

"To be honest, I don't feel that I have anything to feel ashamed of. I've always embraced my curves and will continue to do so," she added.

McCain also accuses the media of having a double standard, celebrating photos of attractive male congressmen with their shirts off while criticizing her.

Ultimately though, McCain says she's not ready to give up Twitter just yet. Rather, she says she'll just be "more judicious" in how she uses it.

Filed under: Meghan McCain • Popular Posts
  1. Rudy

You have got to be kidding me with all the crap going on in this freaking country, we are woried because a very attractive woman was wearing a tank top and took a picture!! Wow this must have stirred our four fathers to their very core! What the heck does this have to do with anything?? LEAVE THE GIRL ALONE!!!

October 16, 2009 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  2. Stu- SW Florida

I was looking all over the internet for this picture and to see what all the fuss was about. I kept getting this little B&W shot of her and clevage. I kept searching and searching thinking this can't be the shot. Low and behold, it is.

Being in the relative position she is it may not have been a good idea to post, but there are far worse shots of other "celebrities"
    Give it a rest... there's much more to have newsworthy than "these".

And Meghan.. pay attention. It's the members of your (your Dads) party that are doing most of the nay-saying. What a sad lot!

October 16, 2009 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  3. CHANGE.COM

You guys complain of boobs and then look at them plus more, when you think no one is paying attention? This intense moralization of everything we do is nauseating. Leave Megan's boobs alone, right wing nuts! BTW, on a serious note, why is it that most GOP bible-touting nut wings either never get married, or have more divorce rates than the so-called un-Godly liberals? CNN, please post this as I need an answer from Ann Coulter, the witch.

October 16, 2009 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  4. See the Light

OH just let yourself be free and use your body

October 16, 2009 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  5. Who cares

i haven't seen any of the actual "critical" comments in the news; it seems like legitimate news organizations are only reporting on the controversy that followed her post.

Regardless of the nature of the feedback, what did she expect? That no one would comment on a former presidential candidate's child publically posting a photo that looks like something a 16-year-old would send her boyfriend? I don't think the picture itself is anything bad, but it's unusual to put something like it out in the public and then resent people for reacting. She should grow up and accept that if she wants to be in the public eye, she should make herself useful and find other ways to be interesting so people don't care about her weird pictures.

October 16, 2009 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  6. RTB

Is this supposed to be news? It's a story that really belongs in one of those rags you see at the supermarket.

October 16, 2009 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  7. Margaret

Charming comments all. No wonder Fox is ahead in the ratings...

In case you don't know it, CNN, this is NOT news.

October 16, 2009 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  8. Annie, Atlanta

Why do conservatives twist themselves into knots over a woman's cleavage? This is disturbing.

October 16, 2009 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  9. John in VA

I'm not sure what it has to do with politics. Maybe they thought it was an important story because of the Twitter angle? I don't know too much about that either, I don't really have time to mess with it. Anyway, she's got a pretty face and some nice boobies. Needs to drop a few pounds though if she wants to catch a boyfriend. Which is why I am assuming she put the photo out there.

October 16, 2009 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  10. Anonymous

She is a beautiful woman. What's wrong with the picture, it is much better than looking at Brit's nether regions or Paris Hiltons sex tape.

October 16, 2009 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  11. Johny

She posted the picture, and now she is mad because people are calling her names? Grow up and take some responsibility for your actions.

October 16, 2009 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  12. Tina in PA

JohnMc your right on the money.

I know she's young, however, if she's suppose to be a young voice that leads, her judgment has to be better than that. She should have somd self respect and other will have respect for her.

There was no reason that picture was neccessary.

October 16, 2009 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  13. william

The apple never falls too far from the tree.

October 16, 2009 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  14. Republican Base and Proud of it

Repent Megan...ask the the Lord for forgiveness

or rot in He!!

October 16, 2009 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  15. Aubrey

She was definitely showing off what she's got in that picture, so why is she getting 'upset' that people noticed? More power to her if she wants to celebrate being attractive, but she's making a bigger deal out of it more than the media is.

October 16, 2009 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  16. GM from MN

Terry, Butte, MT October 16th, 2009 12:59 pm ET

Meghan is more of a democrat than some democrats on social issues, and more of a true conservative than most conservatives on other issues.

Her fans that were calling her names for the photo are ignorant. She has nothing to be ashamed of, and good for her for speaking out.

----

I agree.

October 16, 2009 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  17. Billy-Bob-Earl 12 Pak

But seriously, those things were GINORMOUS! I just wanted to curl right up in them and blow raspberries all night long after seeing that photo!

October 16, 2009 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  18. Desert Denizen

...and it like puts me in a really bad spot cuz im friends with both of them! gotta go c u after study hall.

October 16, 2009 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  19. Todd

A pretty young woman posts a pic on twitter showing her in a tank top and sweat pants and that's news? I have not seen the pics, but let's get real. One of my daughter's underage friends had a nude photo of herself on her Facebook page. I sent a complaint to Facebook (and tipped off the parents) to address, but why is CNN not all over those cases? Answer: It's not the Cable News Network anymore, it's the Chronic Nitwit Network.

October 16, 2009 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  20. castroj

Left little to the imagination? Whose imagination, a monk's? Remember when CNN would report on real stories and not a woman's cleavage or follow an empty balloon around for 3 hours? I don't, I was only 5 when this network became a joke.

October 16, 2009 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  21. Clint, Lynnwood Wa.

Typical blonde, cute but not to bright.

October 16, 2009 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  22. Republican Base and Proud of it

@Ron Abfalter October 16th, 2009 12:43 pm ET

Leave her alone. She's just being human like the rest of us.

-----------------------------

Humans aren't allowed in the Republican party.

Rush, please kick Meghan out.

Thanks

October 16, 2009 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  23. Mike FROM CALGARY

Criticize her politics if you like, but for this!!!

A tempest in a teapot. Her latest crtics need to GET A LIFE!

October 16, 2009 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  24. Clark Don

Saw the pick with the Warhol book and all I gots to say is YUM! Come on who can be mad at that? Honest?

October 16, 2009 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  25. mark

love you meghan, don't let the libs get you down...

October 16, 2009 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |