October 16th, 2009

Meghan McCain: 'Don't call me a slut'

(CNN) - Meghan McCain is breaking her silence following a wave of media attention over a picture she posted on Twitter Wednesday night.

The revealing picture of herself in a tank top, which left little to the twitterverse's imagination, immediately drew harsh criticism from other tweeters, prompting an upset McCain to declare of the social networking Web site, "What once was fun now just seems like a vessel for harassment."

The 24-year old daughter of Arizona Sen. John McCain didn't address the matter in more detail on her twitter account Thursday, but in a new column on the Web Site The Daily Beast - entitled Don't Call Me a Slut - she lashes out at the national media's scrutiny of the whole flap.

Earlier: Meghan McCain runs into backlash over photograph

"I spent most of the next day thinking about what exactly was so shocking about the picture, why there was such an immediate and nasty overreaction," McCain writes. "After all, it's not like I was caught making a sex tape. I certainly didn't pose nude for Playboy. And I hadn't even exposed a nipple."

"To be honest, I don't feel that I have anything to feel ashamed of. I've always embraced my curves and will continue to do so," she added.

McCain also accuses the media of having a double standard, celebrating photos of attractive male congressmen with their shirts off while criticizing her.

Ultimately though, McCain says she's not ready to give up Twitter just yet. Rather, she says she'll just be "more judicious" in how she uses it.

Filed under: Meghan McCain • Popular Posts
  1. tom shoupe

If you feel so insecure about yourself that you need to put a picture out in the public domain, you deserve whatever you get in criticism. What a shallow individual.

October 16, 2009 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  2. Simon Cabron

Those boobs are John McCain's second greatest accomplishment after crashing that plane

October 16, 2009 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  3. Roorie

She looks great, good for her.

October 16, 2009 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  4. Mary

It just seems sad that today inthe U.Swsith all the things that are going wrong in the world, we have a young woman who came from a afluent family has nothing better to do then to parade her self and what she feels is a body worth looking at instead of doing something worth while with her life. Evidently her Fathers fame has gone to her head and she thinks she can take advantage of it, if she had worked harder on her education she would have realized that in fact no one really cares about her body and the others just feel sorry that her Dad got stuck ith what we kniow a spoiled brat with no future.
    sorry for the dad.

October 16, 2009 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  5. Steve

Meghan McCain rocks. Seriously, and this is coming from an Obama voter, this woman just gets "it." She's smart, fun, and has a sense of humor. Unfortunately, the media doesn't.

Keep rocking, Meghan.

October 16, 2009 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  6. Mike

she is a republican therefore she must be attacked.

October 16, 2009 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  7. Ajay Jain, Garland, TX, USA

If good old George W Bush can "even think" of getting on Twitter Meghan McCain you ought to stay on!

October 16, 2009 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  8. Another Home is Forclosed on Every 7.5 Seconds

CNN aren't there some better articles you could put on the "Political" ticker besides THIS story??? Seriously??

October 16, 2009 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  9. Terry

OK, this is not "news". But Megan McCain is the daughter of John McCain. She has put herself out there in the media spotlight speaking out on republican issues. She must know that her behavior would invite scrutiny from the public.
    She is either incredibly naive or desperate for attention for posting a provacative picture and being suprised that some have a negative reaction to it. She has a problem being alone at home with takeout for dinner so she wanted to stir up a little excitement in her dull life. Too bad.
    Terry

October 16, 2009 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  10. Taylor

Sorry republicans. Its not the "Left", "Liberal" or "The media" attacking her. Its her own Conservative base. These seem to be the "real" issues that get the right all fired-up. Or whatever, Bill, Beck and Hannity say they need to go nuts over.

October 16, 2009 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  11. Caral from SoCal

Hey, Meghan – my daughter is just a little younger, wears exactly that same tank top (I think) around her room while she is reading books, too! (We're in CA, so it's short-shorts emblazoned w/ her university's logo, not sweats). Honestly, the loud noise you hear is from people who are haters. I suspect you would hold the book in a different spot next time. I get it, most of the world gets it. I'm pretty conservative – but my only disagreements with you will be on social issues, not this pic.

October 16, 2009 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  12. NJ Mom

Meg, I am a very open minded person and not a prude. But I am also a mom. And I believe you should not expose your chi-chi's for all to see in revealing outfits. Too much information. Like I tell my teenagers, don't text/tweet/send images of your privates that you'd feel uncomfortable with the whole world seeing. You are too old to be so immature. You wanted the attention so deal with it.

October 16, 2009 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  13. Bananarama Victim II: Electric Boogaloo

Shut up conservatives! Learn to read before commenting. It was not liberal hate, it was republican puritains.

I repeat, democrats have ALWAYS been at the forefront of EVERY movement for women's rights. Republicans have historically dragged their feet into each new decade and way of thinking, begrudgingly accepting social changes.

But now that they have computers, obviously they can't be bothered to read a story or at least research it's facts before launching an ill-informed comment or opinion. Surprise, surprise.

October 16, 2009 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  14. Madi Brooks-Miller

Who cares, it is none of our business, so mind your own!

October 16, 2009 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  15. Andrew

Why is this news?

October 16, 2009 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  16. Bugl3t

This incident is what ails the internet with applications like Twitter, Facebook, and MySpace. .. and I am speaking as a developer AND a parent and grandparent.

Too often the images and text of posts to such "social" sites are placed without thought for the future. As a public person and a young lady, Mehgan McCain should surely be aware of the consequences of public action... but more importantly, she SHOULD have thought about the impression she was making on her readers - WHATEVER their age.

It was and is - an opportunity to explore the problems of faceless communities and anonymous postings as well as the responsibilities of a role model.

October 16, 2009 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  17. brian

The photo showed less than 20% of her chest squeezed over the top towards her chin. This is hardly racy, or news by any standards.

October 16, 2009 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  18. Scott

I saw that picture. It's not even risque. 'Leaving little to the imagination' is a HUGE overstatement – her bathing suit probably reveals much more.

Her politics are one thing. But this.. this should be a non-issue. Get over it America.

October 16, 2009 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  19. Michelle

I am an Obama supporter and I feel that people should back off of Meghan. It was not that serious. I see more revealing stuff at the beach. Get over it!

October 16, 2009 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  20. James_MO

Meghan needs to understand the Republicans eat their own. No harm, no foul over here on the left. There is room for one more. Leave the judgemental, "Get a life"ers behind.

October 16, 2009 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  21. Johnny F

If Megan was a Democrat, CNN would have never run this as a story. But seeing as she comes from a prominent Republican (well, sort of anyway...) family, she is fair game for any type of smear / controversy they can generate. Typical left wing, typical main stream media... She did nothing wrong.

October 16, 2009 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  22. Bananarama Victim II: Electric Boogaloo

"I had hoped that liberal and enlightened thought would have reconciled the Christians so that their religious fights would not endanger the peace of society"

-President George Washington

Slowly but surely, the puritains have let it be known "they want their country back." Welcome Ms. McCain to friendly cross-fire.

October 16, 2009 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  23. normajean

This whole story is ridiculous.At least she had clothes on which is becoming unusual if you look at the ads and fashion mags. You can't pick up any reading material these days without seeing women that leave nothing to the imagination. In fact, check out the teenagers in the mall.I hate to say this but could it be because she is an "up and coming" member of the political scene?

October 16, 2009 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  24. MD

Sorry Meghan, they never liked you. You are just another in a long line of women that the left has used when it's convenient, Sheehan and Hillary to name two. They also have no use for conservative women and will destroy them in any number of despicable and sexist ways.

October 16, 2009 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  25. dennhonu

I applaud you Meghan! Politcally, our views are about 180 degrees apart, but I've always admired your intelligence, efforts to make positive changes in the Republican Party, and your stunning beauty. The negative, lewd, distasteful comments about you tell me a lot about those criticizing you and nothing about you. I expect to see great things from you on behalf of our country in the future!

October 16, 2009 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |