October 16th, 2009

Obama aide fires back at Beck over Mao remarks

White House communications director Anita Dunn fired back at criticism from TV commentator Glenn Beck on Friday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – White House communications director Anita Dunn fired back at criticism from TV commentator Glenn Beck on Friday, saying that a Mao Tse-tung quote Beck took issue with was picked up from legendary GOP strategist Lee Atwater.

"The Mao quote is one I picked up from the late Republican strategist Lee Atwater from something I read in the late 1980s, so I hope I don't get my progressive friends mad at me," Dunn told CNN.

As for Beck's criticism: "The use of the phrase 'favorite political philosophers' was intended as irony, but clearly the effort fell flat - at least with a certain Fox commentator whose sense of irony may be missing."

On Thursday night's program, Beck showed exclusive video of Dunn discussing the communist leader, who was responsible for a cultural revolution in 1966 that included re-education camps and setting the army and students on witch hunts against his opponents.

Millions of Chinese suffered or died, most notably teachers, writers, political opponents or anyone deemed a "reactionary."

Full Story

1. Subhan Zia

that is harsh

October 16, 2009 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  2. Hugo

Victim of Republican Greed, a classic example of a non-productive citizen mad at Capitalism and those angry racist white men for making them a non-productive citizen....

I know, Bush did it.

October 16, 2009 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  3. indiana voter

victim of republican greed October 16th, 2009 5:29 pm ET

I believe Beck also felt it was un-American to criticize Bush.

----------------------------

Once again you show you idiocy by commenting on something you know nothing about. Glenn Beck criticized Bush all the time! If you actually watched, or listened to beck, rather than listening to your liberal friends misquoting something they themselves don't listen to, you might sound a little smarter. Just a little though, because your are still a liberal.

October 16, 2009 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  4. vic nashville , Tn

I use to watch Glenn Beck show in HLN

After he left HLN one day I watched his show I couldn’t watch I don’t know what happened to him

I think new environment made him like this

October 16, 2009 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  5. gt

Iits so sad to be a -victim -because you blame everyone else for you little miserable life .... sad way to live

October 16, 2009 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  6. Glen Beck is king of the morons

I would put him a nut home.

October 16, 2009 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  7. Hugo

I know, Bush did it. This is evidenced by your inability to distinguish that 45,000 people die WITHOUT healthcare insurance, that statistic does not state that they died without receiving healthcare or that they would die regardless. Quit being a liberal tool fool!

October 16, 2009 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  8. Dan, TX

This lady likes to twist and turn same as Barack Obama. She has to apologize to American people for teaching us Mao's doctrine. Do not point finger at others. Perhaps you must resign form the administration. You do not deserve to be there. Go away.

October 16, 2009 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  9. virg

The Obama lemmings, the lapdog mainstream media and the inept members of this administration are the reasons why I will vote straight Republican next year.

October 16, 2009 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  10. LacrosseMom

TO "Jobless Recovery"

SO now you are disputing FACTS? You are saying that the 45,000 Americans DYING each year because they lack healthcare is "liberal propaganda"?

"Jobless Recovery" you need to do some research and attempt to THINK for yourself rather than allowing the GOP-haters to continue to LIED to you!

(excuse the yelling!) 45,000 AMERICANS, DIE EVERY YEAR BECAUSE THEY DO NOT HAVE HEALTHCARE, BUT THE GOPERS DO NOT CARE! THAT'S THE TRUTH!

Problem with the GOP is that you people, want to live in denial.

When President Obama took Office the U.S. was LOSING...... 700,000 jobs EACH MONTH....... starting in SEPTEMBER 2008.

Last month, we lost 263,000 jobs.

THE GREAT RECESSION BEGAN UNDER A GOP PRESIDENT, HE WAS WARNED ABOUT IT AND DID NOTHING!
    (excuse the yelling)

October 16, 2009 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  11. D.

Beck is clown, in some sense, but some issues he is raising have caused some real reactions and while he is very dramatic etc. etc., someone needs to raise issues (otherwise we can all move to China or Iran ourselves).
    I find it strange that people are intolerant with someone who is obviously "different." For me the issue that the communication director at the WH considers Mao as a major political philosopher is of some interest. (I do not buy the irony excuse). Juxtaposition of her philosophy and the voice she raised against a cable network is also of some mild interest; we need free media (and free media means also media I personally find problematic or "different").

October 16, 2009 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  12. Glen Beck is king of the morons

Poor Beck,he really is sick.

October 16, 2009 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |