WASHINGTON (CNN)– After nearly six months, President Obama named a replacement Friday for Louis Caldera, the director of the White House Military Office who was responsible for the controversial low-altitude flyover over New York by a 747 plane used as Air Force One.
The April 27 photo-shoot left New York City in a panic, sending people into the streets–reminding them of the tragic 9/11 attacks on the city. Building evacuations also took place across the Hudson River in Jersey City, New Jersey. The public was never informed of the flyover, even though some city officials and the police had been notified. Mayor Michael Bloomberg said he was furious that he hadn’t been told about the flyover.
Military officials estimated the mission and the photo shoot - aimed at updating file photos of Air Force One - cost $328,835 in taxpayer money.
President Obama said he was "furious" about the incident and accepted Caldera's resignation May 8.
In an email sent out by the White House Friday, President Obama named George D. Mulligan as the new head of the military office.
"George brings decades of experience and has served with integrity and a deep commitment to his country – not just in his role at the White House Military Office, but throughout his distinguished career," President Obama said in a statement. "I am very grateful that George has agreed to lead the Office and I look forward to continuing to work with him in the coming months and years."
Mulligan, a Navy Veteran, has served since 1994 in various capacities in the White House Military Office, including Deputy Director.