October 19th, 2009

Sotomayor: White House picked my nomination suit

The White House tightly managed Sotomayor's nomination, including which suit she wore at her nomination ceremony.

(CNN) - Just how tightly scripted did the White House manage U.S. Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor's nomination process?

Obama administration officials even picked out which suit Sotomayor wore when President Obama formally announced her as his nominee for the high court early this summer.

According to the New Haven Register, Sotomayor told fellow classmates at her Yale Law School Reunion over the weekend she had planned to buy a new outfit for the event, but the White House instead asked she bring five suits to Washington, one of which they would pick for her to wear.

Sotomayor also discussed the administration's grueling vetting process, which included the dispatch of an FBI agent to investigate a parking ticket she incurred more than two years ago, according to the Yale Daily News.

Sotomayor, who graduated from Yale in 1979, also described her first meeting with President Obama last spring.

"It was a conversation like none other that I have ever had," adding that she "almost fainted."

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Matt

Wear this, Say this, Do this. Another puppet for the puppet master.

October 19, 2009 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  2. Susan

i was happy when she got confirmed .........
    but even the suit was White-House cleared?! thats ridiculous

October 19, 2009 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  3. Sgt. USMC

At least she didn't spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to 'try' to look smart (*palin*). It's good to know that the White House pays close attention to detail.

October 19, 2009 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  4. Michael M. Noonan

Oh, give me a break. I bet she did breaks out in front of the Messiah.

October 19, 2009 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  5. C. Farrell, Houston, Tx

There was no purchase of Sotomayor's suit(s) by the White House. As stated she was asked to bring 5 suits to Washington in which to chose which one was most appropriate; as a woman myself what I may wear, depending on the occasion, I always get more than one opinion. Furthermore, I've seen people almost faint when they meet the CEO of a company, others have different reactions.

October 19, 2009 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  6. Bird on a string

Well the puppeteer all ways dress their puppets you know.

October 19, 2009 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  7. Paul from Phoenix

Micromanaging at its finest. This is starting to get silly.

October 19, 2009 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  8. RN

Obama is not a cowboy. He succeeds because he has been very thoughtful and careful. He wanted to pick the best person and reduce the distractions. It has been too easy and too often that Republicans focus on trivia and superficial points. Obama needs to do these things to keep everyone focused on what is important.
    We are still a country in need of some adult supervision. And we were not getting any from W.

October 19, 2009 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  9. Dianne J. Vidugiris

Justice Sotomayor was disrespected by some of the Republican Senators . There were unnecessary exaggerations made to her ethnic background and how it would affect her decisions. Her statements were very similar to those made by Justice Alito . The racial component was overly stressed in her case. The recent judgement she had made (which was in line with the previous judgment by lower court) was sensationalized.

Justice Sotomayor is more qualified than even Chief Justice Roberts and her process was not easier than he was up for the Chief Justice position.

October 19, 2009 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  10. rachel

That is kinda scary! However to be fair she was allowed to bring the suits she liked then they just told her which one they wanted her to wear lol. What if they didn't like any of them? Sorry go back home pick another suit. Sort of reminds me of when I was 5 years old and my mom let me pick up several outfits I liked but she got to pick what I actually wore lol. Shame Shame Shame.

October 19, 2009 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  11. New Age Independent

They had to pick her suit? Creepy!

She almost fainted? Disturbing, to say the least. What's she going to do when she's on the bench?

October 19, 2009 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  12. Dar

Just another puppet in Odumbos pocket.

October 19, 2009 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  13. RRRUSA

C'mon now righties.......the GOP spent $150,000 dressing Sarah Palin last year, and you have a problem with ONE SUIT? How conveniently you forget, and remember your girl Palin wanted to keep the clothes and not pay you back! The whole Palin thing was 'staged' so I would think you would be used to it by now!

October 19, 2009 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  14. Nate from Atlanta

Republicans are just jealous.

October 19, 2009 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  15. karen

What does it matter if it was picked or not.....geez where are all the grown ups in this. This is a ridiculous article to begin with..

October 19, 2009 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  16. Marie Laveaux

Who said Justice Sotomayor was complaining about the vetting process? She said it was "grueling", that's all. As far as picking out her suit, so what? At least they told her to bring five outfits of her own, unlike the RNC, who paid $250,000 or more to outfit Palin, right down to her underwear.

October 19, 2009 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  17. i want my finger back

she looks good.

October 19, 2009 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  18. D.

In the house of empty suits, the pursuit of proper suit is so important!

October 19, 2009 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  19. Joyce Becker

If I was her I would have told them I want to wear a suit of my own choosing, picking out her clothing is just going too far. She always looks very nice. I wonder if Michelle had any part in picking out her outfit. I am glad Justice Sotomayor is now on the Supreme for life and she can judge and dress the way she wants.

October 19, 2009 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  20. Idiot_Pelosi

Another staged and orchastrated Obozo event?

I'm shocked, NOT !!!!

OBOZO ==> Great Actor, Horrible President

October 19, 2009 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  21. Clara

When President Obama does things, he do it right. I guess we're just not use to a real person as president. One day we'll calm down.

October 19, 2009 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  22. Henry Miller, Libertarian, Cary, North Carolina

Hmmm...

I wonder if the White House is also going to write her judicial opinions for her...

October 19, 2009 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  23. Biased

Was the White House afraid that this pick for the Supreme Court was unable to pick out something suitable for herself? What does it say about her judgment then if she couldn't be trusted to dress herself appropriately?

October 19, 2009 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  24. Gary of NC

OH MY GOD...like when the Repubs purchased Sarah Palins clothes I'm sure the cool aid drinkers will denounce this purchase...Did she keep the clothes? How much did they cost? This is unjust...lolololol

October 19, 2009 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  25. Mercedes

I am so proud of this "latina woman" who let's not forget was born in U.S. soil and is 100% american!!!!!!!! I wouldn't be surprise that he comment was stretched just a little. Who knows exactly what she said. Is there a recording so we can listen to before passing bad judgment?

October 19, 2009 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |