October 21st, 2009

First lady dishes on fitness, french fries

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Michelle Obama may be a renowned fitness fiend - but she's equally devoted to her fries.

The first lady - who has spoken of her affection for the deep-fried staple - told a crowd of students Wednesday that her love affair with fast food had continued in the White House, where she's confessed sneaking out for an occasional run to the Five Guys burger joint.

"My favorite food in the whole wide world are french fries," Obama told a crowd of local students on the South Lawn of the White House during an event to promote healthy eating. "I love them. Dearly. Deeply. I have a good relationship with french fries and I would eat them every single day if I could. I really would."

Obama reminded the guests that healthy eating does not mean you have to resist all temptations.

"It's not about any absolute 'no's,'" she said. "It's just about striking a balance."

At the event - a "Healthy Kids Fair" - chefs and nutritionists from around the country demonstrated healthy cooking techniques.

She may allow herself some culinary indulgence, but the first lady said she had a strict weekday prohibition on another American favorite.

"In our household, no TV during school days, and only a couple of hours during the weekend," she said, encouraging the students to stay active. "I'm sorry. "But because the TV is off, my girls get up and they move. Even if they're pushing each other down, they're running."

Filed under: Michelle Obama • Popular Posts • White House
  1. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Hold on to the weave FLOTUS!! Just kidding!! But I LOVE the fact that I can kid about that in regards to our FLOTUS!! OMG, yes I can!

October 21, 2009 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  2. FormerGOP

wow I like her as first lady.

October 21, 2009 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  3. t22

Anyone that's been to Five Guys can understand this, Republican or Democrat!

October 21, 2009 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  4. Exercising his demons

Pres. Obama seems always to be running too.

October 21, 2009 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  5. jjr @ Minneapolis

Okay,

Nice story, but does this belong in the political ticker, maybe in the lifestyle section?

October 21, 2009 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  6. JR

The best first family ever!!!!

October 21, 2009 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  7. Moe, NY

Our First Lady is truely an insperation for children and adults alike. America is so very fortunate to have her.

October 21, 2009 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  8. Felonious Monk

I feel all warm and fuzzy, but is this real news? Yes, it is timely with the healthcare debate. Obesity is an issue in America and affects health. So yes, this is a warm and fuzzy real news story.

October 21, 2009 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  9. francis kioko

Thanks Michelle for the good you are doing talking about healthy habits.
    We now have a vegetable garden ,better eating habits and yes my kids are watching less tv grades have gone up.keep it up

October 21, 2009 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  10. P

FF love is so far the only thing I agree with her.

October 21, 2009 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  11. Carnell From Detroit, MI USA

The First Lady Of The United States Mrs. Michelle Obama, You Look Absolutely FANTASTIC!

October 21, 2009 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  12. Marie in California

French fries are tasty, but can be deadly when they're a regular part of one's diet. Not kidding. Trans fats have long been used to fry the fries.....not good at all for the heart. And then there's the carcinogen acrylamide that's formed when starches are fried or cooked at high temperatures.

A very good friend who LOVED french fries and ate them abundantly died prematurely a few years ago......bile duct cancer. Not many years before that, she had a premature heart attack. All that despite the fact that she was very active......avid golfer and softball player.

Read and heed, Michelle.

October 21, 2009 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  13. Marie in California

BTW.....Five Guys fries are the BEST! If I recall correctly, I think they cook them in peanut oil. More healthy that way too.

October 21, 2009 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  14. ThinkAgain

At least she's being honest! Everyone has a favorite "comfort" food they could eat all day ... I love cheese, ice cream and spaghetti – not exactly low-cal.

But, like the First Lady, I believe in moderation and maintaining a healthy, active lifestyle that allows me to occasionally indulge myself.

It's very refreshing to have such a down-to-earth woman in the White House!

October 21, 2009 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  15. Go Veg!

Way to go Michelle, this country needs to get in shape and start eating right, we've become a country of ignorant obesity.

I don't make a ton of money but I spend most of what I make on healthy organic(local if I can) food. I work in an office for a major corporation where I get to see how most "every day folks" eat...gallons of soda, burgers, cake and everything else you can imagine that's bad for you. It's refreshing to see the POTUS and the FLOTUS promoting right health and right living.

October 21, 2009 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  16. Shelly CO

Our country is OBESE and unhealthy....and our First Lady knows we have to do something before this and the next generation suffers. Thank you for prioritizing good health....health IS wealth for a nation. We can learn better, be better parents, perform better at work etc..

October 21, 2009 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  17. Robert

a good message for our kids now I am waiting for the food police to say something about this

hmmmm wonder if busb liked fries or not . we know cheney did laugh out loud

October 21, 2009 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  18. adm

I never could double-dutch and never hula hooped well. I guess I just don't have good coordination. I am just suprised that she can still do those things at her age. You go Flotus.

October 21, 2009 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |