October 21st, 2009

First lady dishes on fitness, french fries

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Michelle Obama may be a renowned fitness fiend - but she's equally devoted to her fries.

The first lady - who has spoken of her affection for the deep-fried staple - told a crowd of students Wednesday that her love affair with fast food had continued in the White House, where she's confessed sneaking out for an occasional run to the Five Guys burger joint.

"My favorite food in the whole wide world are french fries," Obama told a crowd of local students on the South Lawn of the White House during an event to promote healthy eating. "I love them. Dearly. Deeply. I have a good relationship with french fries and I would eat them every single day if I could. I really would."

Obama reminded the guests that healthy eating does not mean you have to resist all temptations.

"It's not about any absolute 'no's,'" she said. "It's just about striking a balance."

At the event - a "Healthy Kids Fair" - chefs and nutritionists from around the country demonstrated healthy cooking techniques.

She may allow herself some culinary indulgence, but the first lady said she had a strict weekday prohibition on another American favorite.

"In our household, no TV during school days, and only a couple of hours during the weekend," she said, encouraging the students to stay active. "I'm sorry. "But because the TV is off, my girls get up and they move. Even if they're pushing each other down, they're running."

Filed under: Michelle Obama • Popular Posts • White House
  1. Ralph Kramden

Michelle is such a breth of fresh air! She is smart and such a strong worman. She is an excellent example of what all women should strive to be around the world. And her husband, what can I say? He is the wind beneth our feet. All of America loves you both.

October 21, 2009 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  2. Obama Victim

and anyone would care because????????

October 21, 2009 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  3. Randolph Carter

Gasp! She didn't call them freedom fries. She must be a socialist! By the way, french fries are awesome with malt vinegar. Try it. Have a nice day!

October 21, 2009 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  4. Jackie in Dallas

A good message, from a good First Lady. Eating healthy isn't about giving up all indulgences, but just being smart about them and making sure that they stay an occasional indulgence and not a staple. And reducing the amount of TV is a good idea too. Not just for the health benefits from doing something active instead, but because our TV programming stinks! Reality shows, pseudo news shows, and violence.

October 21, 2009 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  5. Jay

Please call our first lady, Mrs. Obama or Michelle. To start a sentence with "Obama reminded the guest..." is disrepectful.

From the old school of manners.
    Jay

October 21, 2009 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  6. Magnanimous

French fries? What a terrible thing to promote fried foods. Americans are obese because we stuff ourselves with fast food then we complain about our health care.
    Instead of a government bailout how about encourage Americans to bail out themselves by simply having a healthy lifestyle including refraining from eating harmful foods such as french fries.

October 21, 2009 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  7. windrider

I just love Michelle Obama. She makes a great First Lady and it's wonderful to have an obvious loving couple in the White House again. Haven't seen that in decades.

October 21, 2009 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  8. mjm

Yeah...most of us health and fitness fiends brag about eating fast foods such as fries.every day.

I bet the parents LOVED hearing the first lady tell kids its ok to eat fries.

Why are the Obama's always around school kids? Indoctrinate much?

October 21, 2009 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  9. Nashville, TN

I am so glad to see our First Lady who can identify with the average American. You have never seen this before and will never see another First Lady as down to earth as Mrs. Obama.

October 21, 2009 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  10. AJ

I'm a Democrat that's not a huge fan of the President, but the First Lady ROCKS!!

October 21, 2009 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  11. ct rez

I'll admit that while I am not a fan of the First Lady I do think the photo op portrays a refresing look. In other words, I like the pic overall and what it represents. An adults spending time playing with kids and being a kid for a short spell. Even if I don't care for the adult version.....

October 21, 2009 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  12. D.

who cares about this in politics news, when the administration is engaging in preparing enemy lists and campaigning, while delaying all important decisions?

October 21, 2009 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  13. nick

you don't see laura bush doing that. haha. michelle rocks!!

October 21, 2009 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  14. Steph

I LOVE that our first lady will get out and jump rope. I love that she'll talk about living a health lifestyle and setting rules in the house that promote health. She is a great role model! God Bless America!!!!

October 21, 2009 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  15. Glennis

Although not a fan of Michelle Obama, I applaud her for setting an example of common sense parenting. It's ok to let children eat something they really love sometimes; just don't let them eat junk ALL the time. Anything that can get kids out from in from of the TV or the computer and get them doing something physically active is a plus. When I was growing up I knew very few really obese children; we were all very physically active. We had neither computers nor TVs and we were in great shape. Added to that the fact that our mothers fed us sensible meals. One of the big problems today is that parents are too tired and/or too lazy to make the effort. Demonizing the fast food industry and other producers of high fat, high sugar foods is not the answer. There's a place for everything.

October 21, 2009 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  16. Dominican mama 4 Obama

-------------------------------

His personal philosophy is quite in line with the way he governs. what a breath of fresh air!

October 21, 2009 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  17. stacy

Awesome job first lady

October 21, 2009 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  18. Mike

Who writes your headlines? This headline missed the entire point of what the First Lady was espousing.

October 21, 2009 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  19. Dave

Wow, this is news? Notice they have tried real hard to keep the militant fanatic out of the press and away from issues?

October 21, 2009 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  20. J.P.

I don't agree with either of the Obamas about much.

But on Five Guys' burgers and fries, I do have to admit we are in complete agreement.

No other burger compares with Five Guys.

OK, now I'm hungry...

October 21, 2009 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  21. Al Reasor

Now, just look at the First Lady jumping rope and think back to other First Ladies like Jackie Kennedy or Nancy Reagan and you will realize how far we have come in America! And, think even across the Pond of the old queen jumping rope. . .well, these things could never happen because we are America and we have chosen a new direction for the world and for our elected leaders. We are a nation of diversity and a nation of the common people. . . out with the pompousness of the past. We salute the First Lady of America as she shows herself to be a citizen of the world who can be at home jumping rope with the children, talking to our service men and women and their families, or dining in Paris at a fancy restaurant. Style flexibility–she's got it!

October 21, 2009 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  22. probama in paradise

Good on her! Our children need positive role models for healthy eating and keeping fit!

October 21, 2009 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  23. Jake

Who cares if she eats the whole fries from burger king. Remember, there are those who don't have anything to eat at all.

October 21, 2009 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  24. Tracy - Oakley

Wow a FLOTUS who will attempt double-dutch...Good job ;o)

October 21, 2009 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  25. ch

Michelle is doing a magnificent job as our First Lady!

October 21, 2009 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |