October 21st, 2009

First lady dishes on fitness, french fries

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Michelle Obama may be a renowned fitness fiend - but she's equally devoted to her fries.

The first lady - who has spoken of her affection for the deep-fried staple - told a crowd of students Wednesday that her love affair with fast food had continued in the White House, where she's confessed sneaking out for an occasional run to the Five Guys burger joint.

"My favorite food in the whole wide world are french fries," Obama told a crowd of local students on the South Lawn of the White House during an event to promote healthy eating. "I love them. Dearly. Deeply. I have a good relationship with french fries and I would eat them every single day if I could. I really would."

Obama reminded the guests that healthy eating does not mean you have to resist all temptations.

"It's not about any absolute 'no's,'" she said. "It's just about striking a balance."

At the event - a "Healthy Kids Fair" - chefs and nutritionists from around the country demonstrated healthy cooking techniques.

She may allow herself some culinary indulgence, but the first lady said she had a strict weekday prohibition on another American favorite.

"In our household, no TV during school days, and only a couple of hours during the weekend," she said, encouraging the students to stay active. "I'm sorry. "But because the TV is off, my girls get up and they move. Even if they're pushing each other down, they're running."

Filed under: Michelle Obama • Popular Posts • White House
  1. Josh in TN

I love My First Lady. She is what has been missing for too long.

October 21, 2009 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  2. Donna

I love french fries at Five Guys too!!!! Yummy!

October 21, 2009 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  3. Joyce Becker

I love them also and eat them in moderation.

October 21, 2009 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  4. Danny

She is absolutely correct. A caloric intake balance through diet and excercise is how you lose or maintain your weight. When you throw that balance off negatively, you gain weight :). Seeing as how two out of three of you other there are overweight, and a third obese, I would say take the First Lady's words seriously. Regardless of political afiiliation, you pounds cost everyone.

October 21, 2009 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  5. Carmelle

Here they go again with their healthy lifestyle brainwashing. Def a good story for GB! LOL!

Go Michelle. Thank you for being a role model to us youngins!

October 21, 2009 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  6. Sean

I much prefer this educational approach to healthier eating over the approach of some others that try to get different foods legally banned. It goes back to the old saying, “give a man a fish, you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish, and you have fed him for a lifetime”. If people are informed enough to make their own good eating choices, then they've been taught to lead healthier lives.

October 21, 2009 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  7. Meh

She's delightful. I love our First Lady! :)

October 21, 2009 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  8. VernisRobertson

So what !!! She is in very good shape better than most . Let's talk about something else. Cnn you guys most be running out of stories . Lets talks about how Dick Cheney and George Bush gas gauge us on oil prices for the last 7 years , now that's a story .

October 21, 2009 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  9. john

Nice picture

October 21, 2009 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  10. Mr Brown

Good for her.

A great example from the top is the way to show how things should be done

October 21, 2009 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  11. Marie Laveaux

Looks like fun. I wish I could join her, but my specialty is hopscotch.
    i'm glad the First lady is doing this and other things to raise awareness about healthy food and exercise. Too many young people today don't get enough of either. I think it's time to improve the nutritional quality of school lunches as well. The stuff they serve the kids is pure garbage, nothing but empty calories for the most part.

October 21, 2009 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  12. Gary

I am a strong supporter of Barack Obama, and I get the first lady is supposed to be all things to all people. But, pleeeeeeeeeaaaaase!

October 21, 2009 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  13. Helen

Krispy Kream donuts and a Pepsi.

There I said it.....

October 21, 2009 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  14. William

Wow, such hard-hiting news, CNN. Who cares? Your front page headline speaks of a food "obsession," when the truth is she just likes french fries (just like 99% of the rest of America). Must you always cage everything about the Obamas in the pejorative?

October 21, 2009 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  15. Tank

ZOMG! Thank you CNN! Now I can go to sleep tonight!!

October 21, 2009 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  16. J.L

Anyone would care because she is promoting nutrition and healthy eating to school children. Have you been to a school? Do you see what kind of junk they eat on a daily basis. She said, you do not have to give up everything you love in order to live a healthy life. A few indulgences occasionally is fine, for example... she like french fries, or is it still freedom fries?

October 21, 2009 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  17. JT

I perfer McDonald's French Fries myself

October 21, 2009 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  18. sharon

WOW, First Lady, Doing the Double Dutch,, You go Girl.. i cn't do that only Jump rope with one rope. Very Active Great to see..

October 21, 2009 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  19. Sea.gem

..yet she declined to speak at the Women in Power Convention in DC sposored by McDs because she said they were responible for Amercia's obesity...more double talk from the double-con family...

October 21, 2009 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  20. Joe

Isn't she just the best?? Awwww.. She eats fries... That is too adorable. Does that mean that they won't tax fries? I hope so...

You gotta love her.. Let's nominate her for the Peace Prize. Apparently they give them away with an order of fries from Five Guys burger....

October 21, 2009 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  21. Bob

Then how can she keep those arms???? I mean her arms are just fabulous and with the intake of fries, how does she do it?

Please tell us Michelle how does it feel to be loved by media and perfect?

October 21, 2009 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  22. LacrosseMom

BRAVO Mrs. Obama!

October 21, 2009 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  23. Expat American

5 Guys Burgers are a tasty treat. The First Lady got that right.

October 21, 2009 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  24. andy

She does nothing else productive, I guess she had to find something to do, The first lady has done nothing other than going on taxpayer vacations Michelle Obama, blah,blah,blah blah

October 21, 2009 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  25. IndyVoter

What? Not even a word about the First Lady's apparent "double dutching" skills? This is not an easy task. I've tried it...Good for you Ms. Obama! I think it should be an Olympic sport.

October 21, 2009 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |