October 22nd, 2009

Joe Wilson's wife diagnosed with swine flu

Rep. Joe Wilson's wife has swine flu.
Rep. Joe Wilson's wife has swine flu.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Rep. Joe Wilson's wife Roxanne has been diagnosed with swine flu, the congressman's office confirmed to CNN on Thursday.

The South Carolina Republican who gained instant notoriety in September for shouting "You lie!" at the president told The Hill newspaper on Thursday that he plans to keep his distance from his wife when he returns home this weekend.

Wilson said he plans to get the H1N1 vaccination soon, but only after "the majority of the American people" receive it.

Rep. Greg Walden, R-Washington, is the only member of Congress to have contracted swine flu. He tweeted the news on Monday, revealing plans to head off to "seclusion for a while" while he recovers.

Filed under: Extra • H1N1 virus • Joe Wilson • Popular Posts • South Carolina • Swine Flu
  1. annie s

Not to worry, she has very good government funded insurance – you know, the kind her husband wants to deny the rest of us?

October 22, 2009 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  2. Dan

What now, a news story for every congressman who gets sick? Please.

October 22, 2009 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  3. Jim

What a non-news item for CNN to report! I do not like Rep. Wilson and think he acted very rudely and disrespectfully to Pres. Obama. I would like to see the voters of South Carolina turn him out of office. But his wife's health problems are nobody's business.

October 22, 2009 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  4. Hilary

Let me guess......she got it from him.

October 22, 2009 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  5. Jenn, Philadelphia

Okay, sorry to hear it and hope she gets better. Not news.

October 22, 2009 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  6. Bob (Illinois)

CNN: Your point being?

October 22, 2009 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  7. another george

karma, I guess. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy...

October 22, 2009 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  8. cynthia

why is this a story?

October 22, 2009 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  9. Dan in San Marcos

Stating the obvious, "couldn't happen to a nicer guy". (But sorry about his wife.) I bet he's real glad he has that good government-supported health insurance. To help out those of us who the caring insurance companies refuse to cover, I assume that he will be voting for a public option or something similar just in case we or our spouses or kids get sick. Anybody taking bets? I'd better stop – I think if I keep this up my attitude will start to show.

October 22, 2009 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  10. JIM CARTER

Hey Wilson-You're my HERO for telling it like it is.
    Hope your lady has a speedy recovery.

October 22, 2009 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  11. probama in paradise

As a democrat loyal to President Obama, I could write something very nasty...but I won't.

I just hope Mrs. "You Lie" gets plenty of rest and feels better soon.

October 22, 2009 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  12. Donkey Party

Good thing Roxy is under Joe's congressional health care plan that the public pays for. She should think about kicking her husband off the farm as prevention from getting infected again.

October 22, 2009 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  13. They call me "tater salad"

This "nobody" shoots his mouth off at Obama and is suddenly a "somebody" that CNN, somehow, finds newsworthy! How sad.

October 22, 2009 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  14. Steveo

Good thing he and his wife are covered by government sponsored health care.

October 22, 2009 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  15. Sue

Best wishes to Mrs. Wilson on a speedy recovery.

October 22, 2009 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  16. Sam

I wouldn't wish the flu on anyone, however I find it curious that the H1N1 Flu seems to be asserting itself slowly within the Republican Party. Hmmm...seems as if someone or something is trying to tell them something. Just sayin

October 22, 2009 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  17. Allen

it's no wonder......she lives with pig. What the heck, she has great health insurance. No worries for her!!!!!

October 22, 2009 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  18. Nadeem

Will she get reated through a government run option – the answer is yes for this hypocryte

October 22, 2009 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  19. JILL

I'm sure she has great medical coverage.

October 22, 2009 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  20. candy girl

Honestly, CNN, is this really political news???????

October 22, 2009 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  21. Dorothy

Sorry she's ill – but this one is just too easy, lol. How could you live with that man and not expect to get swine flu?

October 22, 2009 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  22. Blue

The wife always suffers from the husband's stupidity.

October 22, 2009 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  23. jackie

SLAMMER!!!!!. . . . . . . Too bad, but I'll bet she has the best medical coverage a greedy Republican can buy, the rest of us sure don't!

October 22, 2009 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  24. Holly

You could call this Karma, however, she has the best medical coverage a greedy, low-life, Republican can buy!

October 22, 2009 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  25. CD in FL

How was that called again?? Ohh, yeah.. It is called karma!

October 22, 2009 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |