October 22nd, 2009

Joe Wilson's wife diagnosed with swine flu

Rep. Joe Wilson's wife has swine flu.
Rep. Joe Wilson's wife has swine flu.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Rep. Joe Wilson's wife Roxanne has been diagnosed with swine flu, the congressman's office confirmed to CNN on Thursday.

The South Carolina Republican who gained instant notoriety in September for shouting "You lie!" at the president told The Hill newspaper on Thursday that he plans to keep his distance from his wife when he returns home this weekend.

Wilson said he plans to get the H1N1 vaccination soon, but only after "the majority of the American people" receive it.

Rep. Greg Walden, R-Washington, is the only member of Congress to have contracted swine flu. He tweeted the news on Monday, revealing plans to head off to "seclusion for a while" while he recovers.

Filed under: Extra • H1N1 virus • Joe Wilson • Popular Posts • South Carolina • Swine Flu
  1. Joe the Comment Leaver

You have to wonder why God would choose to punish Joe Wilson by giving his wife swine flu. I guess God disapproves of Wilson's "You lie!" I hope Wilson will take God's message to heart and repent.

October 22, 2009 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  2. PAUL

Slap her in the best hospital money can buy....she's well covered with heath insurance.

October 22, 2009 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  3. Tony

Pig flu hits home.

October 22, 2009 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  4. jazz lady

I may not see eye to eye with him, but I wouldn't wish him or his family any harm. My best thoughts to his wife for a speedy recovery.

October 22, 2009 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  5. Jasmine in Germany

I don't believe this for a second, I believe it is a publicity stunt. I have no doubt that Mrs. Wilson may have influenza (yes, H1N1 could be suspected by her physician), but I think it is being exaggerated to create a little image enhancement for Joe. I'd like to see a copy of the lab reports with real proof, not a rich person's doctor making a "probably" statement.

October 22, 2009 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  6. mjm

Is CNN going to report every time someone gets the flu?

It's the flu. She'll get over it in 5 days tops.

And for the record, government employees have PRIVATE insurance, not government insurance. BCBS pays their bills just like everyone else. The cost of Wilson's health insurance comes out of his pay check just like everyone else.

So if you want health insurance like Wilson's and congress, then you DO NOT WANT A PUBLIC OPTION.

October 22, 2009 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  7. Sheila the mum...

There's a lot I'd like to say but I'm a lot more dignifeid that Mr Wilson. I'm sure his wife will get the appropriate drugs and care and have a speedy recovery, unlike those who are uninsured and will just have to struggle through ...

October 22, 2009 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  8. norm

I don't wish ill on anyone... Karma?

October 22, 2009 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  9. Jacob

When the doctor told them that she had swine flu Joe yelled "You Lie!" to which the doctor responded, " No, I don't, here's the lab test, take a look." Joe, then looking at the tiles on the floor said, "Yeah, I know, I tend to do that when I'm scared."

October 22, 2009 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  10. independent

I wonder how many right wing zealots will say that this is a punishment by God?

October 22, 2009 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  11. brook

hope she recovers soon! hope he gets it and a severe case. jerk probably voted against the hate crimes bill.

October 22, 2009 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  12. Someone - Pearland, TX

Well I hope his wife recovers, despite the fact that I hated him for saying that.

October 22, 2009 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  13. 30m-PA

There's no use for a comment section for this story.

October 22, 2009 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  14. Jeff

and this is relevant how?

October 22, 2009 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  15. molly devlin

I'll bet Joe Wilson's wife has excellent health care.........paid for by the American taxpayer............better known as a government-provided system..........the same health care that all of us should have.

Shame on this country. And shame on our lawmakers, if they can't fix this, they deserve to be voted out of office. All of them, including Obama, are influenced by lobbyists and donations from insurance and drug companies. It is time to recognize that health care, equal and excellent health care, is a fundamental right of every citizen of this country.

October 22, 2009 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  16. Sue

Lucky for Mr. Wilson, he and his wife have good socialist...I mean ... public provided insurance to take excellent care of them. Too bad the rest of us are on our own. Thanks to tight- wad....I mean CONSERVATIVE Republicans and a few stupid Dems.

October 22, 2009 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  17. cherinhi

I wish her the best, but can you say "karma, " Joe?

October 22, 2009 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  18. bergwood

Getting the vaccination AFTER getting the H1N1 won't help!!! A vaccination is to teach your immune system what threats there are to defend against in a safe manner. By getting the flu, you've already done the work of the vaccine.
    Stop cutting the funding for good science, and while you're at it, learn something about what science can do for you.

October 22, 2009 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  19. Nice

who cares!

October 22, 2009 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  20. Mickey, NY

That's what she gets for kissing a PIG!

October 22, 2009 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  21. Strange Days

He should take her to the emergency room, because that is what he believes would be an efficient use of resources in our health care economy.

October 22, 2009 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  22. Robert

Wow, already the bad karma moving in on loudmouth Joe.

October 22, 2009 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  23. Caleb

Thank goodness! the neanderthal believes in science now. If the planet warms up enough maybe we can even convince him that global warming is real. I am just waiting for a republic president to be yelled at in congress and see if the media will treat it the same way.

October 22, 2009 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  24. Santa Fean

She got it from an ignorant pig.

October 22, 2009 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |