October 22nd, 2009

Joe Wilson's wife diagnosed with swine flu

Rep. Joe Wilson's wife has swine flu.
Rep. Joe Wilson's wife has swine flu.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Rep. Joe Wilson's wife Roxanne has been diagnosed with swine flu, the congressman's office confirmed to CNN on Thursday.

The South Carolina Republican who gained instant notoriety in September for shouting "You lie!" at the president told The Hill newspaper on Thursday that he plans to keep his distance from his wife when he returns home this weekend.

Wilson said he plans to get the H1N1 vaccination soon, but only after "the majority of the American people" receive it.

Rep. Greg Walden, R-Washington, is the only member of Congress to have contracted swine flu. He tweeted the news on Monday, revealing plans to head off to "seclusion for a while" while he recovers.

Filed under: Extra • H1N1 virus • Joe Wilson • Popular Posts • South Carolina • Swine Flu
  1. Deb

Wow.. politicians suffer like the rest of us.. ??? really?? oh no wait.. I forgot THEY have the BEST health care benefits of anyone in this country.. silly me... of course they are cool with getting the H1N1 virus, they don't have to worry about hospital bills or missing work with no pay.

October 22, 2009 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  2. Anonymous

You Lie! If I were that loser's wife, I would pretend I had Swine Flu too to get some away tim from him!

October 22, 2009 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  3. tiff of lithia springs

I wish him, his wife or anyone who gets that stuff a speedy recovery. I don't know that the vaccination is the solution though.

October 22, 2009 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  4. uninsured in GA

Hope she has health insurance and was able to see a doctor. If any of my 2 boys or myself got the Swine FLU, we would have to be without food or pay our wills for a week to see a Dr. Then again maybe she's lying about the swine flu just to get back in the news to raise more money for the hubby

October 22, 2009 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  5. Sali

Why is this news worthy? There are thousands of other citizens with the same illness, I dont see Mrs. Wilson's illness being any more important than that of the others. I wish her a speedy recivery, and wish CNN would stop posting such irrelevant stories.

October 22, 2009 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  6. PartyGuy

Well, how about that...Fortunately, the Wilsons have government-run health-care.

October 22, 2009 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  7. Joshua College Station Texas

Hm, I wonder about those people without health care. What do they do if they get seriously ill from H1N1?

October 22, 2009 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  8. TM

Congressman, please remember your wife and the FREE and UNLIMITED healthcare she receives because she is married to you when you are deciding whether or not the rest of us deserve just a fraction of those same benefits.

October 22, 2009 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  9. sue

Hope she shares it with him....spread the love.

October 22, 2009 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  10. Susan

Gee, so far only Republicans are getting sick, maybe this IS a plot from the Dems after all...lol!

October 22, 2009 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  11. gob

give it to joe

October 22, 2009 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  12. Joyce

I wonder what swine she caught it from!!!

October 22, 2009 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  13. Ron

I hope she recovers.
    As far as mr. wilson is concerned, I have nothing good to say about him!
    He represents the best in the GOP...and that says a lot.

October 22, 2009 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  14. George Guadiane - Austerlitz, NY

Yeah, but he has health care, and since he works for us, and we pay him, we pay for his health care.
    He's a JERK and probably in the pocket of Big Business, but I still hope he gets better...
    And maybe grows a conscience, a brain and some manners...

Is that too much to ask?

October 22, 2009 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  15. Leah Texas

Mr. and Mrs. Joe Wilson have great government health care paid for by the American taxpayers.
    I am sure the doctors and the hospital will give Mrs. Wilson wonderful care that the rest of us out here that don't have insurance will never get.

October 22, 2009 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  16. Karen

Having just gotten over H1N1 I sincerly wish her a speedy recovery.
    I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

October 22, 2009 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  17. 60's survivor

they have insurance so whats the news here?

October 22, 2009 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  18. unshrub

I know the swine she might have caugh it from.

October 22, 2009 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  19. Michael

I'm too nice to say the obvious-the swine flu is awful so I won't go there.

October 22, 2009 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  20. Kay

You Lie! ha...Sounds like a sympathy stretch now that the impeachment is getting close. LOL.

Get well soon wifey!

October 22, 2009 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  21. Mitch Rapp

Looks like the swine likes the elephant. Hope his wife has health insurance, oh wait, she does. Must be nice.

October 22, 2009 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  22. ken, holland pa

the way he acts, she probably keeps her distance from him most of the time. maybe that is why he is so angry. maybe that is why most republicans are so angry. just are not getting enough. hopefully, she won't need to see the doctor on the taxpayer's dime. oh, wait a minute. that sounds like socialism. can't be can it?

October 22, 2009 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  23. tjaman

Well ... that's terrible. I hope she recovers.

October 22, 2009 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  24. charlie in Maine

I hope she makes a complete recovery soon. I can't think of anything else to add about her. That is what this article is about right? Her? Get well soon.

October 22, 2009 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  25. Anonymous

Why is this news??????????

October 22, 2009 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |