October 23rd, 2009
  1. Enough

Democrats have never met a tax they didn't like. If they can tax it, they will. If they can't tax it, they will "fee" it. When does the tax and spend stop?..............When they are booted out of control!

October 23, 2009 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  2. very necessary

something needs to be done about health

this may force Americans to do something

self control is not working for many

October 23, 2009 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  3. USN

Do Dem's know any other words than TAX TAX TAX ?

October 23, 2009 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  4. Hugo

How about creating a Government waste tax, tax all public employees that are paid for with our hard earned tax dollars. Tax retired government employees that have the retirement and healthcare plans provided for with our tax dollars that no one they work for in the middle class private sector has the opportunity to afford.....Our retirement is Social Security and medicare?

What caused the auto industry collapse?
    Union legacy taking out more that was coming in!

What will cause our social structure to collapse?
    Too many taking out and not enough putting in!

Broken Government, VOTE THEM ALL OUT IN 2010 & 2012!
    Time to Fix America for Americans!

October 23, 2009 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  5. STILL unemployed in Iowa

Just another tax by the Obama administration and democrates.

Rebellion is not far off, time is near, tea party cometh SOON.

October 23, 2009 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  6. justthinkinoutloud

Oh I am loving this debate, for as long as I can remember, all the do gooders have been taxing the hell out of my vices, such as alcohol and tobacco, but now when the tables finally turn, they are squawking like a stuck pig. Look here fat people, consuming gallons and gallons of sugary soda's and mounds of junk food is not good for you. For years the famous "they" people said a huge tax on my vices was good for me, Now it is our turn to throw it back at you, it is for your own good. We always hear how much the effects of alcohol and tobacco are costing society, which I think is a big hoax. Every time I go to visit someone in a hospital, I notice all the obese people laying in the beds, so tax the hell out of them, after all it is for your own good, and yes I know that tobacco and alcohol are not good for me, but I am 67 yrs old and no health problems so far, thank you.

October 23, 2009 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  7. RealityKing

If Obama is going to tax me to pay for your healthcare then, yes! Everyone should have to weigh in each year and.., pay their fair share!!

October 23, 2009 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  8. Obama is a Socialist

The only two things the Dems. want to do: TAXING you to death and being your DADDY.

The party where you never have to work but we will take care of you from the craddle to the grave, and then you wonder
    why you never get no where in life.

October 23, 2009 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  9. Randolph Carter, I'm no expert but.....

Ahh, America. The country where even the poor people are obese. Have a nice day!

October 23, 2009 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  10. Terry from West Texas

This is a bad idea. If the state wants to raise money, let the state honestly increase the sales tax, income tax, or property tax. The state needs revenue to provide needed services – despite the delusion on the part of Conservatives that we could live without taxation of any kind.

I don't like the idea of a tax penalty on disapproved products. The next Conservative Administration – if we are unlucky enough to ever elect another one – will increase the tax on books on evolution, American History, economics, and the Constitution. Conservatism believes that knowledge is bad for the average citizen. Conservatives don't want Americans thinking.

October 23, 2009 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  11. demwit

Let see now.., if I pay tax on my hamburger and coke, and eat more, isn;t that already fat tax(scratching head)!??

October 23, 2009 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  12. Fair is Fair

I'm SO tempted to agree, because I see first hand the negative health effects brought on by obesity. But the Libertarian in me sees this as just another government intrusion into everyday lives.

We have sliding scale life insurance premiums based on age... same thing for auto insurance based on driving record. How about sliding scale health insurance premiums based on body mass index?

October 23, 2009 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  13. Thanh

This is a good tax that they should add. Raise that revenue if they want a public option. It's the obese and their chronic( yet preventable) disease that public health care will be bogged down treating.

October 23, 2009 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  14. Emmanuel Goldstein

I support the fat tax, but only at the state level, and only on things like soda pop. Once they start in on food, or roll out a national tax, all bets are off.

October 23, 2009 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  15. They call me "tater salad"

Wasn't America founded because of the British government TAXING everything in sight? Look at us now.

October 23, 2009 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  16. Dave

Living in Mississippi, I gotta tell ya, if they start taxing fat, our state will have the deficit paid off in six months! Haley Barbour himself could account for at least half of it... but, he'd probably find a way to funnel the money to his brother Jeppie again.

October 23, 2009 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  17. Idiot_Pelosi

How about a tax on ELECTED OFFICIALS in the FEDERAL GOVT until the deficit is ZERO?

October 23, 2009 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  18. Dear USN

Do Repub's know any other words than Subsidize, subsidize, subsidize? Poor people in America are fat because the republicans subsidize all the junk food. Eliminate the subsidies, save money, slim down.

October 23, 2009 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  19. Sarah

If the Republican Party is about extreme right conservative agendas then they do not represent most Americans. I for one will never consider a Republican candidate for anything as long as they continue to be fanatics.

October 23, 2009 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  20. Pee Wee

Next, they'll want to tax the air that you brea..... oh, wait a minute, they're working on it, Cap and Trade.

October 23, 2009 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  21. Brian from NJ

Let me tell you how it will be
    There's one for you, nineteen for me
    'Cause I'm the taxman, yeah, I'm the taxman

Should five per cent appear too small
    Be thankful I don't take it all
    'Cause I'm the taxman, yeah I'm the taxman

If you drive a car, I'll tax the street,
    If you try to sit, I'll tax your seat.
    If you get too cold I'll tax the heat,
    If you take a walk, I'll tax your feet.

Don't ask me what I want it for
    If you don't want to pay some more
    'Cause I'm the taxman, yeah, I'm the taxman

Now my advice for those who die
    Declare the pennies on your eyes
    'Cause I'm the taxman, yeah, I'm the taxman
    And you're working for no one but me.

October 23, 2009 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  22. jim

What about people who climb mountains, skydive, ride motorcycles, and all manner of other risky behaviors. They also should be taxed if you're going to tax overeating. Demwit's comment was the most succinct and to the point. Few people seem to think that clearly on the subject.

October 23, 2009 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  23. diesel

I think they should tax bullets and ammo too.
    Think about it if bullets were Taxed high we could slow the homicide rate in this country. less killings and more money in the system.

October 23, 2009 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  24. kj

This whole tax code needs to be revamped...
    I was upset about not getting Bin Laden and then going into Iraq.
    I was sick that Obama didn't go after all lobbyist when he first got elected.
    I am sick that we don't have flat tax.

The very thought that you would target one group and not the next is rediculous, get rid of the IRS and tax everything!!! I assure you those who spend the most will help the country the most, instead of those who have the most finding the off shore loopholes.

But of all of them. it's the lobbyist who will take this country down

October 23, 2009 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  25. hugothedolt

Now that's smart. Demonizing all government employees and retirees....all union members. Even though THEY did not cause any of YOUR problems. To find the causes of YOUR problems, look at the [R] neo-morons YOU elected into office over the last 10 years that destroyed our economy and foreign policy

What will cause our intellectual structure to collapse?
    Too many [R]s taking out and not enough putting in!
    As your posts on here prove, all you guys have is NOISE; there is no longer any SIGNAL coming from the [R] party. YOU people contribute directly to America's problems, to the delight of its enemies.

October 23, 2009 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |