October 26th, 2009

Christie Vilsack turns down Senate bid

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Christie Vilsack, the wife of former Iowa Gov. Tom Vilsack, announced Monday that she will not challenge Republican Charles Grassley for his Senate seat in 2010.

"I am flattered and humbled by the requests from Democrats, Independents and even some Republicans to consider running," Vilsack said in a statement released Monday. "My careful consideration of the opportunity to represent Iowa in the Senate was done with great respect for those who came to me and the office itself."

Vilsack also said that she will continue to be active in Democratic politics in Iowa "and across the state in issues that affect the quality of life for all Iowans."

"While I will not be a candidate for office in 2010, never doubt I am committed to a life of service and to Iowa," she added.

Recent comments by Vilsack had led some political observers to believe that the she might mount a challenge to Grassley, who is up for re-election next year.

In addition to being Iowa's former governor, Vilsack's husband is now President Obama's Secretary of Agriculture.

Filed under: Iowa • Senate
  1. challenge the worthless GOP

get someone in there, do you best to keep the GOP on the run, they ruined the U.S.

October 26, 2009 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  2. Dad of a Diabetic

I pray that Grassley is defeated in his re-election bid. I watched those town hall shouting matches. I heard " I will feed myself and Lazarus can feed himself", and "I wil buy my insurance and Lazarus can buy his insurance". How these people can claim to be Christians is beyond me!!! These Conservatives really believe that Jesus would say " Government do not provide health insurance to a young adult with cancer, because that would be Communism" and "Government do not help the sick and orphans because that would be communism". The Government helping a young adult with a deadly disease get health insurance is not communism, it is Christianity. I look foward in fear for my child, if the Conservatives prevail and keep young adults with Juvenile Diabetes "Uninsurable".

October 26, 2009 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  3. Jane/Seattle

Good! We need fewer insiders and more ordinary (unwealthy) citizens to step forward to lead. We need 100% comprehensive election reform NOW! This will enable citizens to really serve rather than the present system of elites moving through this revolving door from business, to government, to lobbying or some other circuitous Path which is Nepotism and NOT democracy! Please, Go open a Hat store of something! Peace

October 26, 2009 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  4. Steve (the real one)

Was is up with all this nepotism? Is she qualified? We have to stop all this attempt at legacy! Why do we believe sucessful politics is passed on by blood or marriage? Here comes the wacky "W" responses!

October 26, 2009 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  5. Bluebonnet

Smart woman.

October 26, 2009 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  6. C. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Republicans can't get their you know what together because they have too many want to be leaders who can't lead or follow until Rush, Cheney, Hannity and company give them the right of passage. I hope they keep scrambling because they will never get it right.

October 26, 2009 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  7. Chris

That's a shame, you would have been fantastic in the senate, and you would have gotten my vote!

October 26, 2009 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |