October 26th, 2009

Elizabeth Edwards: Marriage is a 'great love story'

John and Elizabeth Edwards during the 2008 presidential campaign.
John and Elizabeth Edwards during the 2008 presidential campaign.

(CNN) – Despite John Edwards' extramarital affair that rocked his marriage, his wife described their union as a "love story," albeit an unconventional one.

Elizabeth Edwards told WJLA-TV in Washington late last week that she wants her marriage to work, and that her husband has been supportive as she continues to battle breast cancer.

"John said, 'Perhaps not the great love story that we hoped, but maybe a great love story nonetheless," she said.

Edwards added: "'Til death do you part, because that's what I want."

Though Elizabeth promised to soldier on, she acknowledged the grim reality of trying to overcome terminal cancer.

"Cancer will probably win," she said. "Why would I give it any more days than it may already take? That's the choice I make."

Filed under: Elizabeth Edwards • John Edwards • Popular Posts
  1. jon

pathetic crock
    how delusional
    her husband is a phony narcissist

October 26, 2009 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  2. Joelie

Needless to say, John Edwards' character and integrity is down the tubes for his dispicable behavior. It is more than understandable why his wife, Elizabeth is standing by him in attempt to keep what is left of their marriage and family together. As a true Christian, she does not want to leave this world with a divorce on record. This is not a public relations power play. It is, indeed, a very personal matter for Elizabeth, and we should support her decisions in her final days.
    May God Bless You Elizabeth and your family.

Joelie

October 26, 2009 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  3. Rielle Hunter is FUGLY

Politicians are ALL SLEAZY CHEATERS. THEY ARE WORSE THAN ACTORS. GOD BLESS THIS POOR WOMAN. Let her think what she wants to. What comes around goes around. It's her life and her choice. Until I have a terminal disease, I won't make any judgements about anything. But, John Edwards, You should be ASAHMED OF YOURSELF.

October 26, 2009 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  4. Mauricio

John Edwards = schmuk (I have other words, but the post wont make it on, if I use them)

October 26, 2009 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  5. joco, NH

No fairy tale ending – of course, in true love there is never a fairy tale ending as we are all with faults.
    I do wish E. Edwards had been happier in what will be her last chapter as she is a magnificent woman.
    I also wish he had been able to conquer the ability to control himself in stressful times.
    He was a great American and leader. I would be a liar to say his actions didn't disappoint me. It wasn't the infidelity as much as the evasiveness following.

October 26, 2009 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  6. David

OPEN YOUR EYES PEOPLE. Couples like these are not based on love, they are based on power. They go through the motions after the public finds out, but in reality, Edwards wasn't sorry, and neither is the Mrs.

October 26, 2009 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  7. petena

Elizabeth: Its not Love Story Elizabeth. Its HIS story. Accept it, deal with it and move on.

October 26, 2009 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  8. Tim

Only a democrat could describe it as such.

October 26, 2009 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  9. tommygunn

Good For Her!

John based on your recent troubles, I'm sure you now realize how tricky life is....

Love story gone bad...going good is my prayers to you and your Wife.

For all those ready to accuse, look in the mirror before it is too late. And for those that live on others tradegies with greater values....remember your closet habits will get you in the end...

October 26, 2009 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  10. Laurie

The marriage of John and Elizabeth Edwards is a private relationship between them and God. Whether to stay in the marriage or not is no one's business but their own. There are no easy or certain answers. They have to put their trust in God and each other, and take it one day at a time. I know this from my own personal experience. About three years into our marriage, when our first born was seven months old, my husband cheated on me with a so-call "friend". I took our baby and moved in with my parents. After two weeks, my husband begged me to come back home and swore it would never happen again. As far as I know, it hasn't. We had a second child three years later and have now been married 23-1/2 years. It hasn't always been easier, but I don't regret the decision I made to stay in the marriage and make it work.

October 26, 2009 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  11. cjones2467

the edwards saga........ad nauseum

October 26, 2009 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  12. tev

I will never forgive her for encouraging John to continue to run once she knew he had the affair.
    She said it was a private matter. It was not.
    I was going to vote for him in MA. If he had won the democratic nomination and this had come out
    John McCain would have won
    and THAT I take VERY personally. Maybe she wasn't thinking straight but it was selfish and the worst thing that could have happened to this country.

October 26, 2009 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  13. Anonymous

What a joke; she looks like an idiot–cancer or not

October 26, 2009 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  14. marcia

they both make me sick!

October 26, 2009 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  15. Traci

Yes Elizabeth. Till death do you part is what John wants too. Elizabeth is indeed a sympathetic figure, but she is also quite delusional as well.

October 26, 2009 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  16. Sue

I think I'm about to be sick. He's just waiting for her to die so he can marry that other woman. Mrs. Edwards should have kicked him to the curb.

October 26, 2009 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  17. cm

When an illness like cancer strike you life you see things with a different perspective, she did not deserve the infidelity in her marriage but at this time she does not have the energy to fight that situation any more, she is taking one day at a time and enjoying every moment with her children praying that the day she is not longer here the father of her kids will take good care of them. We may not understand or agree with her decision but ultimately she is the only one who knows why she still there.
    God Bless Elizabeth and I wish you may have a lot of time to enjoy your children.

October 26, 2009 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  18. Robert B

The best to her, and the opposite to him.

October 26, 2009 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  19. Pete

Elizabeth sets a great example for little girls everywhere. It's ok if your husband cheats, just keep on loving him. Let him go out and disrepect you and then lie to the nation and disrepect you again. She is pathetic, I hope my daughters would be stronger than she is.

October 26, 2009 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  20. cgillette369

let's see her health reports.
    does she have cancer? or did johnny (real name) tell her to say that?

October 26, 2009 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  21. Mattie

If he loves her..then let them go for it!

I feel that since she has cancer, that he needs to be with the family.

October 26, 2009 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |