October 26th, 2009

Elizabeth Edwards: Marriage is a 'great love story'

John and Elizabeth Edwards during the 2008 presidential campaign.
John and Elizabeth Edwards during the 2008 presidential campaign.

(CNN) – Despite John Edwards' extramarital affair that rocked his marriage, his wife described their union as a "love story," albeit an unconventional one.

Elizabeth Edwards told WJLA-TV in Washington late last week that she wants her marriage to work, and that her husband has been supportive as she continues to battle breast cancer.

"John said, 'Perhaps not the great love story that we hoped, but maybe a great love story nonetheless," she said.

Edwards added: "'Til death do you part, because that's what I want."

Though Elizabeth promised to soldier on, she acknowledged the grim reality of trying to overcome terminal cancer.

"Cancer will probably win," she said. "Why would I give it any more days than it may already take? That's the choice I make."

Filed under: Elizabeth Edwards • John Edwards • Popular Posts
  1. Heather

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always preserves."

Elizabeth Edwards seems to know this... It would be nice if John did.

October 26, 2009 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  2. G

I admire her for her choice to stand by her husband. I always criticized these "Good Wives" for standing by their man, until it happened to me. My husband was preyed upon by a young girl where he worked, and as the stress of his job took over she would make sure she was always around and he eventually fell for it. These predatory women are everywhere, wanting to get their hooks into our husbands, waiting for their time of weakness. It's not always the man's fault – I've seen these girls make 'plans of attack' to grab married men like it's some kind of game. God bless Elizabeth Edwards for all she has been through!

October 26, 2009 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  3. Chut Pata

I was a great John Edwards lover till the end, for his love for the downtrodden. However this cheater broke my heart. Well, I guess I can love Elizabeth for her true love for a cheater. God bless you Elizabeth.

October 26, 2009 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  4. Cynthia

At the end of the day, the comments here say more about the author of the comment than about either of the Edwardses. There is a human tragedy here whatever the political party of the people involved. Clearly, personal mistakes and bad behavior are not exclusive to either political party. There are abundant examples of enough mistakes to go around. This very personal tragedy affects John, Elizabeth and their children. Can we look beyond political party and consider these people, their family and how a very human mistake has affected them? And how they are attempting to live their lives in the very public spotlight? Can we set aside our judgements for just a moment? I know very few humans who are perfect.

October 26, 2009 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  5. B.C. Survivor

It's her life + as a bc survivor, the choices we make are life changing. But trust me, if I knew my husband had already planned the wedding reception w/the next wife (incl the band), I'd make sure I'd change his life too!

October 26, 2009 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  6. Parker

I think it is wonderful that she is wants to work on her marriage, instead of leaving. I was going to vote for him- but only b/c I liked her. But thinking about it... why would she leave her life now if she is sick? I think if she was not ill, she would leave. I say that by watching her on Oprah & not allowing anyone to say the other womans name.

October 26, 2009 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  7. Helen

John Edwards no longer deserves Elizabeth Edwards

October 26, 2009 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  8. Mary

Class is grace under pressure. Elizabeth Edwards is a class act.

October 26, 2009 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  9. youngblood

Seems to me, like this guy said ' till death do us part' and i really think this John Edwards who we know now doesn't play fair to his woman and since all this has come out about his cheating on Elizabeth, I now take it that he is still in his marriage because he thinks it's not going to last that long anymore, she has cancer and it's terminal, so I'll just hang in here till she is out of the picture" and then I'll go play house with my Baby's Mommy. Let's face it, what really this guy is like, his wife is weak with cancer and he moves his lover with baby next door, get that, he has moved his Mistress right next door to him and his wife. and if it was my wife and I moved ANY girl in next door to where we lived, well I would not be able to write this right now and That's what I think is really on John Edwards mind if the truth be told!

October 26, 2009 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  10. Tomba Enmana

men like to adventure – If polygamy were legalized as in some countries this would be more trivial than it is

October 26, 2009 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  11. Lou

It never ceases to amaze me how disturbed and disconnected today's society is. Mrs. Edwards chose to forgive her husband after the ultimate betrayal that a woman can suffer and is no one else's business but hers; but, to call it a great love story? Please DO NOT insult America's intelligence. I hope that every young girl that reads this knows better than to accept John Edward's behavior as acceptable or as a love story. I am not a feminist, but it is insulting to the many women who came before us and sacrificed their lives in order to provide our generation with respect from men and the rest of society.

October 26, 2009 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  12. sadnbra

Good for you Elizabeth. God does amazing things. I know.

October 26, 2009 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  13. ThinkAgain

Yes, John Edwards made a horrible mistake by having an affair, and I'm guessing he'll regret it for the rest of his life. What a blessing that Elizabeth is able to find it in her heart to forgive him and make the best of their last time together.

A much better scenario than her going with bitterness in her heart. I'm sure he feels like the luckiest man in the world to have married such
    a loving, generous, wise woman.

All the best to both of them and their family.

October 26, 2009 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  14. peggy p

I feel great sympathy for Elizabeth Edwards's battle with stage 4 cancer but I also feel bad for the innocent daughter of John Edward's mistress. If this child truly is his daughter then this little girl should be spending time and getting to know her father, even if he is married to someone else. If Elizabeth is the forgiving person she claims to be she would want this child to know her father. After all, it could be years before she passes from her cancer. John Edwards is a "deadbeat" to not demand a paternity test and take responsibilty for this little girl and be the father she needs. I am sure Elizabeth would not want her children to grow up not knowing their father.

October 26, 2009 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  15. sam

i feel for this lady i really do to find out your husband had an affair while she is dieing how low can he be i cant think of what kind of pain that must have put her through

October 26, 2009 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  16. breeze

Why should she have to forgo the comforts of marriage because he stepped outside the relationship? Sure he's a cad, but he's HER cad, not Rielle's. She knows he will be with Rielle after she is gone, and may even take some small comfort in knowing that he will not be alone. But this is her husband, her marriage, her time. I think she has shown amazing grace under pressure and is a true classy woman.

October 26, 2009 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  17. lindita

I dont like theyre regret for each other, but i think they deserve each other.

October 26, 2009 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  18. Klaatu

Elizabeth is certainly the one to be admired here. He should be forever ashamed of himself. I worry about the children when she dies, what kind of example will he be for them? She is a pillar

October 26, 2009 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  19. FA

I once felt terribly bad for her, but now I really believe she is much worse than him. She is such an enabler, I would not be surprised if this was her idea for him to go out and have an affair with another woman. Shame on you Elizabeth!!!!

October 26, 2009 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  20. cubby fitzpatrick

We have the right to choose and I applaud yours. You give me hope that through love all things are possible.

October 26, 2009 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  21. Mary

Great love story? Everyone is entitled to define their lives/feelings in their own way. If this is how she chooses to do so, God Bless and let her without judgment. Him on the other hand? Excrement is too kind a word for him and his ilk. The lies to the American people are inexcusable, the lies to her and their children? Hell has a special place for people like that. John Edwards.... PLEASE leave the public arena. You nauseate me (and I voted for you).

October 26, 2009 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  22. Dave

She must need the medical benefits.

October 26, 2009 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  23. anna

If miraculously the doctors were able to heal her cancer, would he stay? Answer: Of course not, he's just biding his time and this forgiving declaration on her part of their "great love" cleanses him a bit in the public eye.

He's using her, but she can't see that because chemo clouds your thought process. I know because I've been there and went through a divorce at the same time due to my ex-husband's adultery.

October 26, 2009 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  24. gregg

she's a typical frumpy wife who knows she has no chance of finding another and will say anything to keep him, very very sad

October 26, 2009 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  25. BL

John Edwards has nothing to lose right now. If Elizabeth losses her battle with terminal concer, John will have plenty of women standing in the wings waiting to tak her place. John will need/want someone to take care of his young kids.

October 26, 2009 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |